Project Accountant at ADAP
- Company: ADAP
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Tanzania Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Tanzania
For the position of Project accountant
Organization: Association for the Development of Protected Areas (ADAP), www.adap.ch
Location: Kapumpa, Sikonge District
Work percentage: 100%
Application deadline: 15 November 2022
Expected start date: as soon as possible
ADAP is a Swiss non-governmental organisation set up in Geneva in 1997. It supports local community-based natural resource management initiatives in sub-Saharan Africa. ADAP assumes that any nature conservation initiative that does not take into account the needs of communities living in alongside these resources is doomed to failure. ADAP has been supporting projects in Tanzania since 2002
The Rungwa River corridor project was launched in 2018 and aims to support and accompany the villages bordering the Rungwa River Forest Reserve in establishing a joint forest management (JFM) to secure their rights to the reserve, its management and the income generated from it. The project will be developed along two lines, the first aiming to facilitate the establishment of village institutional structures for the management of the reserve, the second to support the development of income-generating activities for the benefit of the communities of 12 villages of the Mlele and Sikonge Districts by focusing on two sectors: honey and wild edible mushrooms.
The accountant of the Rungwa River corridor project is responsible for financial monitoring of the project and partners’ accounts and carrying out the transactions necessary for the proper functioning of the project.
Under the overall supervision of the project manager and regional accountant and following guidelines provided by ADAP’s financial and operational procedures manual, the accountant will do:
- Financial monitoring
- Work out the budgets (quarterly and annual) and financial reports.
- Prepare and monitors the cash flow plan.
- Prepare monthly bank and petty cash reconciliations.
- Prepare all the requested information for the independent audits and fully cooperate with the auditors.
- Control the accounting records of the local partners.
- Develop the financial management tools.
- Communicate with authorities (NSSF, TRA,WCF…) and financial institutions (NMB,…) in order to ensure proper compliance with their requirements.
- Ensure the respect of project’s financial procedures by all staff.
- Daily operations
- Ensure the proper bookkeeping of the accountability
- Ensure that routine activities such as preparing monthly payroll, payment vouchers, debit and credit notes, petty cash vouchers; keeping custody of petty cash balance, petty payments, etc, are timely, properly and accurately done.
- Ensure that all payments and orders have been made authenticated.
- Handle the cash of the safe custody, in accordance with the budget allocated for the implementation of the project activities.
- Keep the inventory of the fixed assets and stocks, ensuring their proper custody.
- In collaboration with the driver, monitor the proper management of the vehicles (check the vehicle logbooks and control the fuel consumption).
- Prepare monthly financial reports to the Project Manager that will be shared to ADAP Geneva and to the regional accountant.
- Training and advise
- Train cashiers of the local partners.
- Holder of a Degree or Advanced Diploma in Accountancy or Financial Administration
- Good knowledge of accounting procedures and ability to oversee movements of funds
- Proven track record of experience in managing grants from financial agencies or supporting organization.
- Honesty, organisation and interpersonal skills to work in a multidisciplinary environment
- Advanced skills in Microsoft software Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Willingness to be based in a remote rural area
- Skills and ability to interact with rural communities
- Excellent command of written and spoken Kiswahili and English is essential.
- Should have an idea of migrating from Cash basis to accrual basis (adoption of IPSAS)
- Be able to provide financial statements in the year end in accordance to IPSAS (International Public Sector Accounting Standards) requirements.
- Having a track record of any accounting software usage.
- Diploma/knowledge in IPSAS is an added advantage to the candidate
Method of ApplicationApplicants are requested to send a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae and copies of Diplomas with the contacts of three references to the following address: [email protected]. Deadline 15 November 2022
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For any further information please contact [email protected]