Program Manager – Tanzania Evergreening Initiative at Catholic Relief Services
- Company: Catholic Relief Services
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Mbeya Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
The successful candidate will manage and provide technical oversight of the development and implementation of the Land Restoration Initiative, a constellation of projects under the Global Evergreening Alliance (GEA). CRS Tanzania will work in consortium with four partners to implement this program. The incumbent will manage the larger and complex projects that are part of the initiative, ensuring effective systems and processes are in place that support high- quality programming advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable.
- Minimum Qualification: Masters
- Experience Level: Management level
- Experience Length: 7 years
- Project: TANZANIA EVERGREENING INITIATIVE
Reports To: HEAD OF PROGRAMMING
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official overseas relief and development organization of United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and has served people living in poverty and situations of vulnerability in over 100 countries since 1943. In Tanzania, CRS has served vulnerable communities for over 50 years and implements its programs through partnerships with the Government of Tanzania, International and local organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability.
The anticipated Accelerating and Massively Scaling-up Land and Livelihood Restoration program is a climate change initiative to be funded by G9-2030 donors aimed at supporting climate-vulnerable communities in Tanzania to improve the sustainability and resilience of their ecosystem goods and services and increase household resilience and adaptive capacity. While working with the Government of Tanzania and different stakeholders, the program will take a multi-faceted, evidence-based approach to scaling-up evergreening practices and will develop equitable agroforestry value chains and ecosystem-based businesses to underpin the sustainability of the scaling-up process.
The anticipated program aims at improving livelihoods, food and nutrition security, and resilience to climate change for small scale farmers and/or pastoralist while restoring ecosystem services, particularly through evergreen agriculture, covering four zones in mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar. These zones include the semi-arid agro-ecological zone of northern and central Tanzania, Southern Zone and Southern Highlands.
This 5-year climate change initiative will be implemented through a coalition of national and international NGOS including CARE, CRS, World Vision and ICRAF in close coordination with the Government of Tanzania.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development, implementation and consolidation of the Evergreen program. Provide management, guidance, and technical oversight of all aspects of program quality, program management, representation and human resource. Serve as the primary point of contact to Donor public and private partners and collaborators and other.
- Ensure the projects strategic objectives and results are accomplished and meet technical quality standards through annual and quarterly activity planning, budgeting and reporting. Lead quarterly technical review of implementation plans.
- Effectively manage and supervise CRS talent for the Evergreening Initiative team. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being while providing continuous coaching and mentoring. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports; oversee the development of staffing plans and recruitment process.
- Coordinate with M&E department to oversee the design and implementation of the projects monitoring and evaluation system, using appropriate forms, CRS and donor policies, procedures, and tools for data collection and analysis as the basis for measuring, documenting and reporting outcomes.
- Lead the development of program –learning and adaptation; identify opportunities for learning, research and publication in the area of Evergreening Initiative and implementation of MEAL policies and procedures. Ensure integration of innovations and best practices and facilitate the dissemination of promising practices and lessons learned to contribute to the agency and GEA knowledge management agenda.
- Manage and mitigate risk; Ensure compliance with DONOR grants guidelines including oversight of partner budgets, finance and administration, and reporting to prime.
- Coordinate relationships with different parties including the government of Tanzania, Councils, consortium partner organizations and beneficiary communities. Contribute to coordination of roles and activities of staff from consortium member organizations in implementation in line with CRS partnership principles.
- Contribute to the proactive pursuit of opportunities for new funding to ensure growth of the Evergreening Initiative portfolio in line with agency, regional, and the CP, Government of Tanzania and GEA strategic priorities.
- Oversee technical assistance and capacity strengthening activities in Evergreening Initiative for partner organizations and their staff to enhance program quality and impact.
- Provide direct supervisory to program staff including technical advisor, Senior program officers and finance staff
- Assist with the hiring, orientation, and training of key staff across the consortium as needed to build a technically strong, well supported, motivated team.
- Provide direction and technical advice through quarterly coaching sessions and daily support to all market chain/ value systems staff across the consortium.
Requirements: Education, work experience and skills
- Master’s Degree in Agriculture, Natural Resource Management, Agroforestry, Community Development, International Development, or similar related qualifications. Additional relevant experience specifically; climate change, value chain, Gender and financial inclusion may substitute for education background.
- Minimum of 7 years experience managing large scale development grants required preferably in the areas of Landscape Management and Restoration, Climate Smart Agriculture and or Evergreening Initiative.
- Experience in managing complex projects preferably with an international NGO.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to make sound judgment and decisions and offer innovative solutions
- Strong relations management abilities; ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship and how to influence for results.
- Consortium management experience preferred.
- Good presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Willingness and ability to travel at least 25% of the time to project sites
- Excellent Command of Swahili and English languages, in Swahili and English
Disclaimer: These job descriptions are not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the respective position.
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants are requested to submit their applications to CRS Human Resources Manager at [email protected] by 17h00 EAT on 06 June 2020.
Only submissions that meet the following criteria will be reviewed
- Subject line must read indicate the position applied for.
- CV must be in Word or PDF format and not exceed 4 pages.
- Cover letter summarizing qualifications and motivation. Cover letter must be in Word or PDF format and not exceed 1 page.
- Kindly note, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted