Program Manager at Medical Teams International Tanzania
- Company: Medical Teams International Tanzania
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Tanzania Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
|Reports to||Direct: Program Director||Tech: Country Director|
|Location||Kasulu, with frequent travel to health facilities|
|Work Days & Hours||Monday-Friday, 40-45 hours/week, occasional weekends, and public holidays|
|Supervises||Direct: Medical Coordinator, Pharmacist, Community Health Coordinator, Referral Focal Person||Technical: NA|
Medical Teams International Calling
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
Program Manager contributes to the mission of the organization by managing all aspects of Medical Team International’s field program in Tanzania. The Program Manager will have specific responsibilities for the development, management, and coordination of field operations, representing MTI to partners and key stakeholders in country, providing financial oversight and accountability of Medical Teams International resources and compliance with policies and procedures, and reporting regularly on program activities and finances.
- Responsible for ensuring all programs comply with MTI, MOH and donor requirements; ensure that staff adhere to all MTI policies, Code of Conduct and ethical standards
- Collaborate with Director of Programs to develop the budget; responsible for monitoring financial performance of programs to ensure project objectives are achieved within allocated resources; analyse budget in Unit 4 ERP system and raise budgetary challenges to supervisor or Finance team
- Responsible for ensuring the effective implementation of HR functions related to staff management (hiring, training, promotion, scheduling, disciplinary action, termination) and ensure training and capacity building of regional staff
- Responsible for overseeing the effective implementation of Operations and Finance functions to ensure Programs Department is well supported in carrying out activities
- Develop effective working relationships with relevant stakeholders, implementing partners and community leaders, including representing MTI at health coordination meetings and communicating relevant information back to staff
- Participate with the Field Management Team to develop regional objectives and change management
- Ensure documentation of accurate records of business decisions, actions, and practices undertaken on all projects
- Monitor the general dynamics and context of the region and identify potential risks to service delivery and security implications; coordinate actions to mitigate risks
- Maintain effective communication between field and country office, submit weekly sitrep and regular budget analysis report, compile incident reports as required per policy
- Respond to crisis and make final decisions for action, in collaboration with SMT as needed
- Responsible for submitting the final draft of donor reports by coordinating timely submission of data and preliminary reports from all departments, ensuring accuracy and completeness of data, and timeliness of report submission
- Conduct orientation and debriefs and evaluations with international volunteers; follow up on feedback accordingly
- Responsible for the appropriate use of materials and assets in accordance with budget holder authority
- Ensure direct reports have clear objectives, receive mentorship and participate in capacity building opportunities
- Conduct performance evaluations and enforce disciplinary procedures as per MTI policy
- Ensure accountability is integrated into country strategies, program design, monitoring and evaluations, recruitment, staff on boarding, trainings and performance management, partnership agreements, and highlighted in reporting.
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Strong working knowledge of health-sector issues and effective interventions in developing countries.
- Master’s degree or equivalent academic and management experience in field relevant to humanitarian work.
- Fluent speaking and writing in English and Swahili essential
- 5 years of progressive experience managing multi-donor health services projects with an international NGO is required
- Proven organizational and management skills, including strategic planning, achieving results, coordinating and supporting a diverse team, and resource management.
- Experience in proposal writing will be an added advantage
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- In-depth knowledge of humanitarian operations and project cycle management, with strong interdepartmental understanding
- In-depth knowledge of Tanzanian MoH, WHO and UN health systems and policies
- Knowledge of health strengthening methods and best practices
- Knowledge of principles and current approaches to monitoring and evaluation in relief and development programs
- Knowledge of HIS/HMIS and ERP databases
- Knowledge of risk and security management principles and best practices
- Skilled in project cycle management
- Effective leadership and people management skills, including developing, coaching and managing high performing teams
- Skilled in building coalitions, negotiating and resolving conflicts effectively while preserving important relationships with partners and funders
- Skilled in developing multiple solutions and able to take a swift decision, including in a high-risk situation
- Skilled in using HIS, HMIS and ERP database systems
- Skilled in data analysis and writing reports
- Skilled at using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Keen interest to mentor others
- Ability to travel to health facilities frequently and at times upon short notice
- Ability to be decisive in emergency situations and use sound judgment
- Ability to exercise considerable initiative to plan, organize and follow through to meet deadlines
- Committed to high ethical standards
- Ability to support MTI Calling and adhere to the MTI Code of Conduct
This position requires frequent travel to health facilities located in remote areas with very basic living conditions.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department or organization. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by Medical Teams International as the requirements of the job change.
Method of ApplicationAll interested applicants who meet the criteria should email their application letter and CV in either PDF or Word only, including three work related referee to: [email protected]
Indicate your expected salary, current/previous salary, and notice period at the bottom of your CV.
Indicate clearly the position applied for in the subject line” Program Manager”.
Application Deadline: 23rd of March 2021 at 1700HRS.