Program Coordinator at American Bar Association
- Company: American Bar Association
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:
Program Coordinator – ABA ROLI – Advancing Freedom of Expression in Tanzania
Call Title: Program Coordinator – ABA ROLI Advancing Freedom of Expression in Tanzania
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Contract Type: Consultant
Period of Performance: 12 months (renewable)
Anticipated start date: October 2023
Applications to: email@example.com with subject line “Tanzania Program Coordinator
Deadline: September 25, 2023
The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) is a non-profit organization that
implements legal reform programs. ABA ROLI has worked for over 25 years in more than 100 countries
to promote the rule of law, advance human rights, strengthen judicial institutions, support legal
professionals, and advance understanding of the law and rights of citizens by the public. To this end,
ABA ROLI has established partnerships with a wide range of actors, including institutions in the justice
sector (judges, prosecutors, public defense offices, mediation offices and national human rights
institutions, investigators, and police), civil society organizations, bar associations, legal aid
organizations, and lawyers, among others.
ABA ROLI’s work in Africa spans a variety of programing around the rule of law, access to justice, atrocity
prevention as well as human rights protection and promotion. It works closely with the justice sector, law
societies, law schools/universities and civil society. Its programs focus on institutional strengthening,
enhancing legal service delivery, capacity building and the provision of technical and financial assistance
to local partners. ABA ROLI’s Africa Division has country offices across the region including Benin,
Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, eSwatini, Gambia, Liberia, Niger,
Somalia, South Africa, Sudan and Uganda.
ABA ROLI is hiring a Program Coordinator (PC) to support an anticipated program on Advancing
Freedom of Expression in Tanzania, which is aimed at reducing restrictions on freedom of expression
(FOE) in Tanzania and bolstering the safeguarding of related fundamental rights for media, civil society,
and the public at large. Its principal objectives are to: (1) Enhance the capacity and coordination of media,
civil society, and legal sector actors to advocate for the right to free expression, and (2) Promote
policymakers to increase their understanding of and support for democracy-affirming freedom of
expression policy and legal frameworks.
ABA ROLI plans to work in partnership with several multi-sector local partners to contribute sustainably
to project objectives and facilitate inclusion of stakeholders from underrepresented areas of Tanzania. The
Program Coordinator will support these civil society partners to promote advocacy, policy formation, and
capacity building activities across sectors to achieve the program’s targeted outcomes.
The Program Coordinator (PC), who will be located in Dar es Salaam, will be responsible for
coordinating day-to-day operations, program activities, managing local subgrantee partners in Tanzania,
and overseeing collection and quality assurance of program data. They will report directly to the Senior
Program Manager located in Kampala, Uganda.
Principal Duties/Job Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the day-to-day management of the Advancing Freedom of Expression in
Tanzania project and ensure all programmatic requirements are met/exceeded according to ABA
ROLI and grantor requirements.
• Accountable for all timely, accurate, and compliant in-country programmatic monitoring and
• Oversees and is accountable for the development and deployment of substantive programming
and activities, including, but not limited to, project work plans, managing/assisting volunteer
legal specialists and consultants, and convening, organizing and participating in training
opportunities within the host country.
• Establishes and enhances effective collaboration and relationships with local entities and other
development partners (e.g., local bar association, law schools, NGOs, governmental agencies,
etc.) to fulfill program objectives within cost constraints and garner additional funding from
• Maintains proactive communications with the Senior Program Manager (Kampala), Program
Manager (D.C.) and other ROLI leadership to ensure timely and accurate updates on program
activities, achievements, and shortcomings. In areas where program shortcomings are identified,
creates and implements corrective action plans to improve performance against standards.
• Assists in identifying best practices derived from lessons learned.
• Collaborates with local authorities to ensure that all program activities and operations are
compliant with all local laws/regulations and, if required, have received all regulatory
licensing/registrations prior to offering the activities.
• Ensures compliance with all donors, ABA, federal, state, and local laws/regulations while
managing the program. Ensures personal and program compliance with the FCPA.
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Relevant university degree (Law, Political Science, or other International Development-related
• Minimum 3-5 years of experience in project management and managing programmatic,
operational and financial duties for USG-funded projects or other donor funded projects with
• Proven experience establishing and maintaining systems for managing project operations,
including overseeing the preparation and submission of project deliverables, stakeholder and risk
management processes, cost and schedule controls, and sustainability planning and
• Demonstrated experience overseeing implementation of Monitoring & Evaluation systems from
project initiation to closeout stages.
• Experience working with and managing subgrantee organizations.
• Proven success in building and maintaining working relationships with all project stakeholders;
engaging in coalition building; and empowering stakeholders to take ownership of key project
outcomes for post-project sustainability of progress.
• Strong facilitation, communication, collaboration, and leadership skills.
• Experience working in Tanzania and/or elsewhere in Eastern Africa, and strong understanding of
political and operating context in Tanzania.
• Fluency in English (written and spoken) required.
• Tanzanian citizen
Method of ApplicationPlease submit the following by email to [email protected] by September 25, 2023.
Email subject line: “Tanzania Program Coordinator application ”
● Motivation letter