Production coordinator at BBC Media
- Company: BBC Media
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Production Jobs in Tanzania
Job title: Production coordinator
Reports to: Head of production
Duration: 12 months (with possible extension)
Special requirements: The right to live and work in Tanzania. Fluent in English and Swahili with ability to write reports and scripts in these languages.
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development organisation, and we believe in the power of media and communication for good. We work in more than 20 countries around the world, supporting the independent media essential to democracy and development. Each year our projects and programmes reach over 100 million people facing poverty, inequality, and insecurity with information they can trust, helping to improve health, bridge divides, challenge prejudice, and save and change lives. We follow the editorial standards and values of the BBC, but we rely on funding from donors and partners to carry out our work.
Overall purpose of job
The production coordinator is the link between the production team and the project, administration and finance teams and works to deliver logistical support to production activities for radio and digital content across BBC Media Action’s projects in Tanzania, including the creation of factual, drama, magazine and discussion programmes. The coordinator is required to manage all logistics, including travel bookings, risk assessments, identification of venues and contractors to support the production of content in locations throughout Tanzania. S/he will also be expected to support the editing and post-production of content and ensure effective management of production team resources, including personnel, equipment and software.
Main duties and accountabilities
1. Provides logistical support in all aspects of the production by working behind the scenes to perform administrative tasks associated with Radio and Digital to ensure production deliver its work in line with project objectives, and BBC Media Action and donors expectations.
2. Coordinate with the production teams to develop budgets and plans for recording radio shows, manage production events recording checklist, including live community events, special recordings identifying, and booking venues, recruiting contributors, PA equipment and provision of other support as necessary.
3. Coordinate daily production schedules, send weekly, and monthly schedules, including recording plans, transport facility and communicate any changes.
4. Managing freelancers database by working closely with the producers to keep records of commissioned stories, payments and all related documents stored in the shared folders.
5. Providing to other department with access to production resources and planning tools to support effective work with staff from partner radio stations in the field.
6. Coordinating with the partnerships manager to ensure effective coordination between the production and capacity-strengthening departments.
7. Working closely with senior producers to plan production trips and activities and ensuring that staff from partner radio stations are included to take part as required.
8. Weekly upload programmes for rebroadcasting partners and other online audio streaming and distribution platforms.
9. Manage production paperwork such as consent forms, compliance forms, meeting minutes and team whereabouts to ensure they are completed on time, stored, and shared accordingly.
10. Coordinate departmental meetings such as joint program reviews, production and editorial meetings and ensure effective attendance with respective people.
11. Be proactive and keen interest to what is happening in the wider media sector including trending media events, trainings and opportunities that affects production team and share with respective people for their action.
12. To ensure that the production operations comply with government rules and regulations such as online registration and payments, and registration of the press cards.
13. Coordinate studio bookings and recording schedule for the producers.
14. Support the Head of production in delivery of all broadcast outputs of BBC Media Action Tanzania, ensuring editorial integrity, quality, value-for-money and timeliness of all outputs.
Required skills, knowledge, and experience:
1. A university degree in administration, social science or related field.
2. At least three years’ experience of managing logistics, assets, and administrative functions.
3. Excellent time management skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
4. Excellent communication skills in English and Kiswahili (verbal and written).
5. Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues and key stakeholders.
6. Able to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation, including with those based in the UK.
7. Proficient in Microsoft Office.
8. Budget management and proven experience of successful project management against tight deadlines.
9. Willingness and ability to take the initiative not only in identifying problems but also in suggesting and implementing solutions.
10. An eye for detail and a concern for accuracy, together with the ability to keep sight of the broad picture.