Procurement and Logistics Officer at Jane Goodall Institute (JGI)
- Company: Jane Goodall Institute (JGI)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Tanzania
The Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) is a global community conservation organization that advances the vision and work of Dr. Jane Goodall by conserving chimpanzees and inspiring communities to conserve the natural world we all share, we improve the lives of people, animals, and the environment. We strongly believe everything is connected and everyone can make a difference.
The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania (JGI-TZ) is a reputable and rapidly expanding non-governmental organization committed to wildlife research, conservation, socio-economic development, and environmental education. The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania (JGI-TZ) was founded in 2001 by Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE. The JGI Tanzania with its partners makes a difference through community cantered conservation, chimpanzees research projects, youths’ environmental education, the innovative use of science and technology, we work closely with local communities in Tanzania, inspiring hope through a collective power of individual action.
The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania with funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to support implementation of the new USAID funded project, USAID Tumaini Kupitia Vitendo is currently seeking to recruit a suitably qualified and competent Tanzanian to fill the following vacant positions:
Job Position: Procurement and Logistics Officer
Program: USAID Tumaini Kupitia Vitendo
Duty Station: Kigoma
Reporting Line: Procurement Manager
The Procurement and Logistics Officer is mainly responsible for all procurement and logistics activities including Fleet Management, Project Schedule/Movement Management,
Storage, and Asset Management. The job holder will be responsible to facilitate acquisition, supply, delivery, storage, and disposal of goods & services, as well as logistics
operations at optimum cost-effective levels in a thorough documented, compliant, and prompt manner. This position shall implement activities and perform the services outlined
below during the period of the fixed-term employment contract.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
Main responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Fleet Management and Project Support:
- Plans and coordinates the procurement of equipment and motor vehicle spare parts for repairs and maintenance.
- Ensure that vehicles are in a good operating condition well maintained and repaired and only replace genuine parts as recommended by manufacturer.
- Keep updated records of vehicle movements and allocations for various project activities.
- Ensures that daily vehicles and stand-by generator inspections are performed, and that regular and mandated servicing is carried out.
- Facilitates the repair or recovery of vehicles and generator breakdowns when required, including repair/recovery outside of working hours: follows up on periodic services of the vehicles.
- Reconcile fuel receipts against the Total Monthly Invoice for fuel replenishment facilitation. Keep record of fuel purchase and consumption against the approved fuel budget.
- Ensures the annual inspection of vehicles as per the procedures on vehicle management.
- Prepares monthly and annual reports on the vehicle performance i.e., mileage covered, fuel used, and the unit and total cost incurred for vehicle repair and maintenance.
- Plans and provides all transportation services such as travel arrangements for the program team and other JGI staff in line with the stipulated transport requirements or procedures.
- Guarantee accurate and correct reports of vehicle management, including the movement of vehicles and documentation of trips into the logbooks.
- Ensure the application of the JGI Policies and Procedures Manuals regarding fleet management, office inventory management, program supplies, and meetings management, risk assessment in the supply chain, and program scheduling/movements.
- Supervise project drivers at Kigoma and Mpanda Offices. Ensure drivers are fit for the job before embarking on ay travels.
- Storage and Asset Management:
- Ensure that all items in transit are handled in accordance with JGI policies and procedures and in a timely and efficient manner.
- Receives inventory and provides timely, accurate stock and inventory reports including equipment tracking reports for management information and donor reporting purposes.
- Ensures that JGI assets are received, coded, and registered in the assets register and ensures disposal of assets is carried out according to existing policies and specific donor rules.
- Prepare documents for the reception of supplies and goods and documents of delivery to implementing partners and sites. Organize documents and ensure the proper signature, date placement, and required data including for this direct communication with counterparts.
- Vehicles Movement and Schedules Management:
- Ensure contracts for hired vehicles are active and professionally managed, in coordination with management.
- Ensure vehicles hired are in sound working condition and transport needs for the field staff are met promptly.
- Procurement Management & Vendor Relationship Management
- The P&L officer is responsible for processing purchase requests to purchase orders/contracts using the organization prequalified vendors in accordance to JGI procurement policy under the guidance of the Pprocurement Manager and produce orders.
- Ensure the projects receive good quality of goods and services from suppliers and service providers. This includes the check for value for money for supplies and services.
- Coordinating sourcing strategies and developing – through a full and open process – a comprehensive supplier base for the supply of goods and services, constantly researching to ensure a reliable and competitive vendor base.
- Develop, manage, and maintain an arm’s length relationship with vendors at all levels; will ensure that JGI-TZ suppliers for goods & services fulfill their obligations in a timely fashion, are paid on a timely basis, and that any disputes arising are managed in a professional, procedural, and consultative manner or by using arbitrator to be appointed and agreed by both parties.
- Facilitate negotiations regarding supplier terms and conditions for the supply of goods & services, ensuring the optimal combination of cost, quality, and delivery/lead time for the organization.
- Conduct vendor rating/appraisal for vendors who deliver on time, those who deliver Late and those who fail to deliver for future contract awarding decision.
- Process Improvement / Compliance
- Contribute to the design of system and procedures, development, implementation, and maintenance of contextualized procurement, purchasing, logistics and physical distribution operating procedures and guidelines achieving the most cost effective and efficient processes for procurement & logistics in order to attain operational excellence at minimal cost.
- Adhere to JGI policies and procedures for procurement and logistics. Where indicated donor policies and regulations may apply.
- Liaise with other administration department as well as programs in procurement & logistics execution to ensure an integrated internal controls framework, enabling consultative, transparent, technically proficient, and compliant procurement decisions making.
- Guided by a solid grasp of applicable government, organizational and donor rules and regulations, provide guidance, advice and technical opinions on policy interpretations, contract matters and donor mandates in the realm of procurement & logistics.
- Collate and share best practices in procurement & logistics from networks, trainings, workshops, and conferences, et cetera to ensure a dynamic and relevant procurement & logistics function.
- Ensure that all procurement is done using the approved vendors within the agreed terms & conditions and is done in a transparent way without any discrimination with high integrity.
- Prepare and review supplier evaluations/bids analysis, requests for awards, purchase orders, contracts for services and other procurement documents, ensuring strict adherence to applicable procedures, accuracy and completeness of procurement supporting documents.
- Generate and disseminate complete, accurate and relevant weekly & monthly procurement status reports and reconciled commitment reports with financial information on user friendly, standardized templates to support project management decision making.
- Identify and/or solicit organizational filing needs, matching them with existing resources and when necessary, implementing innovative, cost-effective solutions to match the growing needs: will also manage JGI-TZ archive documentation in a systematic/orderly and secure manner to ensure strict conformance with applicable document retention provisions.
- Facilitate the development and dissemination of procurement & logistics checklists, templates, and other tools – ensuring standardized implementation across all JGI-TZ offices.
- Ensure up to date files for approved preferred vendors, including agreed prices are maintained as well as an updated database of consultant’s roster.
Minimum Job Qualifications and Other Requirements:
o Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, Procurement, Logistics, or Supply Chain from a recognized academic institution.
o Professional registration with Procurement and Supplies Professionals and Technicians Board. (PSPTB)
o Reasonable experience in Logistical coordination and support, managing information, and workflow, Job knowledge/technical expertise, Planning, organizing, and
o Good command of Swahili and English language, both written and spoken.
o Experience of not less than 3 to 5 years managing procurement and logistics for donor-funded projects including USAID.
o Conversant with different Microsoft office computer applications and electronic procurement systems
o Demonstrates ethical manners, commitment, accountability, respecting people, and embracing diversity, good planner, and organized person.
Method of ApplicationAll applications should be submitted together with the most recent Curriculum Vitae (CV)/resume, copy of relevant academic certificates & transcripts, testimonials, three names of reputable referees, day-time telephone number or e-mail address, and should be send to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
Only the final shortlisted candidates will be interviewed and provided with the interview feedback.
Deadline: Saturday, 10th December, 2023 before 5pm in the evening. JGI Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, national or tribal origin, religious belief, gender, and marital status.
QUALIFIED FEMALE APPLICANTS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.