Policy Engagement Specialist at University of Dar es Salaam
- Company: University of Dar es Salaam
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
UNIVERSITY OF DAR ES SALAAM SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS
The University of Dar es Salaam invites applications from suitably qualified Tanzanians to be considered for employment to fill the following vacancy at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Economics:
Job title: Policy Engagement Specialist
Reports to: Dean, University of Dar es Salaam School of Economics
The Policy Engagement Specialist will coordinate activities in the Environment for Development Tanzania (EfDT) project at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Economics. He or she will work within the Inclusive Green Economy in Practice (IGE) for Senior Civil Servants and Policy makers programme. The main objective of the programme is to strengthen the country capacity for conversion to an inclusive green economy. This will be achieved through increased knowledge on, and capacities to apply, economic instruments, conduct organizational change, and promote national systems for Inclusive Green Economy. Partner countries include Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda, and the programme is led by the University of Gothenburg in Sweden. The programme is funded by Sida.
EfD is a global network of environmental economics research centres primarily based in the Global South. The overall objective of EfD is to support poverty alleviation and sustainable development by building environmental economics’ capacity for policy-making processes. EfD includes centres hosted by academic institutions in Central America, Chile, China, Colombia, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, and Vietnam. More information about EfD can be found on the EfD website: www.environmentfordevelopment.org.
The Policy Engagement Specialist will coordinate the implementation of the IGE programme in Tanzania. This will include planning, managing, and delivering on a range of activities, both internal and external, as well as provide guidance, support and backup for local partners and policy actors. A key task will be to coordinate with and support IGE fellows at ministries and agencies that arc partners in the programme.
He or she will also coordinate national policy reviews and peer review activities, and may be engaged in analytical work, including literature review and writing of reports. Other tasks include the organization and facilitation of events, meetings and webinars, various communications tasks such as updating the website, support the development of strategic plans and partnerships, as well as relevant day-to-day administration and activity reporting.
The successful applicant will have the following qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in social sciences that is relevant for the position, preferably Environmental Economics.
- Project and process management experience, preferably 1-2 years at least. Great emphasis is given to leadership skills, as well as administrative and managerial proficiency.
- Proven analytical skills, for example experience from analytical work such as synthesizing scientific articles and governmental reports, and writing reports and articles.
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken English is essential.
Personal suitability is of critical importance for this role. A good problem-solver that can prioritize assignments and tasks, and deliver with good quality. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with colleagues and partners in academia and in government.
- A PhD degree that is relevant for the position.
- Previous relevant work experience in the field of development assistance, or in international organizations, governmental ministries/agencies or academia.
- Previous working experience of coordinating international projects or initiatives.
- Relevant knowledge about green economy issues, policy instrument design and evaluation, and social inclusion.
- Previous experience in organizing meetings and workshops.
Terms of service:
- Contract of two years.
EfD is an internationally funded project which offers competitive remuneration. The remuneration is subjected to normal taxation and other statutory deduction, if any.
Method of ApplicationAll suitably qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter together with certificates, transcripts, and names and address of two referees to the following email [email protected] . Application letters should be addressed to:
University of Dar es Salaam School of Economics,
P.O. Box 35045,
Dar es Salaam.
The deadline for submitting the application is 19 July 2021.