Part-Time Senior Technical Advisor at Chemonics
- Company: Chemonics
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Part-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Chemonics seeks a Part-Time Senior Technical Advisor for the USAID Heshimu Bahari (“Respect the Ocean”) activity. The USAID Heshimu Bahari (“Respect the Ocean”) activity is part of the U.S. government’s biodiversity and climate change conservation portfolio in Tanzania. This five-year, $25 million activity works to enhance the ecological resilience and productivity of high marine biodiversity areas and enhance the resilience of coastal communities to climate change in Tanzania. The Activity has four integrated objectives:
- Strengthening the enabling framework for a network of Marine Management Areas (MMAs) and Fishery Replenishment Zones (FRZs) to support biodiversity conservation, climate resilient communities, and sustainable wild-caught fisheries.
- Community co-management of MMAs/wild-caught fisheries and climate resilience strengthened.
- Private sector investment in MMAs and wild-caught fisheries expanded.
- Integration of relevant science to MMA and fisheries policy and management improved.
The part-time senior technical advisor is primarily responsible for providing technical assistance to Heshimu Bahari’s leadership and the project on the whole related to the strategic, technical direction, and implementation of the Activity. This position is based in Dar es Salaam and will involve occasional travel to the Activity’s seascapes.
- Provide technical assistance in areas including but not limited to MMA and fisheries co-management; illegal, unreported, unregulated IUU fishing; coastal/marine resource management policy; climate change vulnerability; and sustainable coastal/marine livelihoods.
- Contribute to and/or develop select Heshimu Bahari technical deliverables and/or publications.
- Advise on and/or provide technical inputs to the development of terms of reference or scopes of work for consultants and sub-awards (grants and subcontracts); and support leadership in the technical oversight of select consultants and subawards.
- Advise on the design and implementation of select assessments/surveys including but not limited to climate vulnerability assessments and socioeconomic/livelihoods surveys.
- Attend Heshimu Bahari meetings including but not limited to the Activity’s implementation meetings, work planning sessions, and pause and reflect sessions.
- As required and requested by the Chief of Party, participate in select stakeholder meetings, and/or facilitate select technical workshops.
- MSc in marine ecology, marine biology, marine and coastal resources management, or a related field required
- Minimum 20 years’ (including minimum of 15 years’ experience in Tanzania) in marine and coastal resources management; including demonstrated significant experience in MPA network design, financing and systems management; marine protected area (MPA) management effectiveness; artisanal fisheries co-management governance; fisheries no-take zone establishment; marine biodiversity conservation; marine spatial planning; controlling illegal, unreported, unregulated (IUU) fishing; sustainable marine/coastal livelihoods; and climate vulnerability assessment and adaptation
- Existing relationships with a wide network of donors (e.g., USAID, US Department of the Interior, European Union, World Bank, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) and international and national marine conservation organizations (e.g., International Union for Conservation of Nature, The Nature Conservancy, Wildlife Conservation Society, World Wildlife Fund, and relevant national NGOs) in Tanzania and in-depth knowledge of their current marine/coastal resources management and livelihoods programming required
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining productive working relationships with a wide network of Tanzanian government, civil society, and private sector stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to advise senior staff on the strategic direction and implementation of marine/coastal biodiversity and sustainable fisheries programming
- Excellent written, verbal, and cross-cultural communications abilities required
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required; working proficiency in written and spoken Kiswahili required
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, interpersonal skills, and integrity
Period of Performance: On/about October 1, 2023, to on/about July 31, 2027, for approximately five days per month.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 15th August, 2023.