Operations Assistant (Field Support) at International Organization for Migration
- Company: International Organization for Migration
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Position title Operations Assistant (Field Support)-1 Position
Position grade G-4
Duty station Kasulu/Makere, United Republic of Tanzania
Durations 6 Months with possibility of extension
Position number To be created
Job family Operations
Organizational unit Movement Operations
Reports directly to Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support)
Overall Supervised by Movement Nationals Associate Operations Officer
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and
continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes
Under the general supervision of the Movement National Associate Operations Officer and the direct supervision of Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support), the Operations Assistant (Field Support) is responsible for undertaking movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities:
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following duties and tasks:
1. Undertake field support activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation.
2. Perform airport services, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, visas, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have
departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems.
3. Assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; during their stay with food and non-food items, instructions, briefings, activities and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation. Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s).
4. Provide assistance at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or supervisors if issues arise.
5. Assist in the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings. Assist with baggage sorting, tagging and handling and escort individuals on transportation as needed. Ensure individuals with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
6. Provide selection mission support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
7. Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Operations Assistant (Team Leader) and/or supervisors and team members and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention.
8. Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert the Operations Assistant (Team Leader) or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
9. Perform such other duties as may be assigned
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Four years of working experience with secondary [high school] education;
• Two years of working experience with bachelor’s degree.
• Good knowledge of Word, Excel and Internet.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required Working knowledge of French, Spanish, Portuguese is desirable.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
This position is open to Tanzanian nationals only. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
All application documents will be handled in accordance with IOM data protection policy. The selected candidate is required to commence the assignment as soon as the recruitment process completes.
Qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply for UN vacancies and are protected from discrimination during all stages of employment.
Females with qualifications are encouraged to apply.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Method of ApplicationInterested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to email address: [email protected]
The vacancy is open for internal and external candidates Tanzanian national only. Only e-mail applications will be considered.