Non-staff Consultant – Health Facilities Assessment at UNESCO
- Company: UNESCO
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Consulting Jobs in Tanzania
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
- Background and Context
Our Rights, Our Lives, Our Future (O3 Plus) project seeks to ensure that young people in higher and tertiary education institutions (HTEIs) in Tanzania realize positive health, education and gender equality outcomes through sustained reductions in new HIV infections, unintended pregnancy and sexual and gender-based violence. The project will thus enable them to reach their full educational potential and contribute more effectively to the development of the country and region as graduates, professionals and young leaders. With support from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, the project will be implemented across six campuses of Higher and Tertiary Education institutions (HTEIs) in Tanzania from August 2021 to December 2022.
Working closely with relevant regional structures, national ministries, higher and tertiary education institutions, and key partners, UNESCO will support innovation in access to Life Skills Based Sexuality Education and sexual and reproductive health (SRH) services for HTEI students while advocating for policy and practice changes to make campuses safe and inclusive learning environments for students and staff. In doing so, the project will institutionalize health and well-being programs for students while engaging leadership for long-term commitment and sustainability.
The work will be delivered through four complementary pillars or workstreams as follows: institutional strengthening for sustainability; student health and well-being; safe and inclusive campus environments; evidence building and knowledge-sharing platform.
- Scope of the Health Facility Assessments
The Health Facility Assessments (HFAs) will be conducted across the 7 campuses of selected Universities within Dar es Salaam, Mbeya, Iringa, Dodoma, and Zanzibar. The Consultant is expected to develop data collection tools in line with the methodology and update the existing Facility Observation Tool, which will be provided by UNESCO as necessary.
- Research Questions
The key research questions to be answered by the Health Facility Assessments (HFAs) are:
- What are the existing youth-friendly health services (YFHS) guidelines, standards and policies in Tanzania? How do the guidelines, standards and policies align with international guidelines i.e. WHO Global Standards for Quality Healthcare Services for Adolescents and Youth? Is delivery of health care services at health facilities in HTEIs in-line with the guidelines, standards and policies?
- What type of services are offered at health facilities in HTEIs, and what is the quality of these services as per the existing standards and guidelines? Do the health facilities have the necessary resources i.e. infrastructure, human capacity, financial etc to ensure effective service provision? Are there any guidelines or minimum standards for the infrastructure of health facilities in tertiary institutions? Which ministry is responsible for the administration of health facilities in HTEIs? Is there clear ownership and linkages of the health facilities in HTEIs with the district, provincial and national level Ministry of Health? What are the major sources of funding for the HTEIs?
- What are the perspectives of health providers on health service delivery for young people in HTEIs? What are the perspectives of young people in HTEIs on the health services provided at the health facilities? What factors enable or hinder young people’s access to health services at the health facilities in HTEIs?
- How can the health facilities be improved/strengthened to ensure effective health service provision to young people? What resources or capacities are required i.e. infrastructure, equipment, human resources, training, etc.?
The Health Facility Assessments will be expected to commence in August 2021 for an estimated duration of 30 working days and conclude by October 2021.
The deliverables are as follows:
- Research Protocol which will be submitted to UNESCO 7 days after signing of contract. The research protocol will outline in detail, the research questions; methodology; data collection tools, data management and analysis plan, data quality assurance plan, ethical considerations, etc
- The draft report which will be submitted to UNESCO. The report will also be presented to UNESCO and key stakeholders by the Consultant at the validation workshop of which the date will be agreed. The Consultant will facilitate this workshop which will be aimed at discussing preliminary findings and conclusions
- A final report, which incorporates comments from the validation workshops, will be submitted to UNESCO.
- A PowerPoint presentation summarizing the contents of the final report will be submitted to UNESCO.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Required Expertise and Qualifications
- This post is open to Tanzania nationals.
- Master’s Degree in any of the following fields: Public Health, Medicine or other related social science studies; a Ph.D. will be an added advantage
- At least five years’ experience in research in the field of young people’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) programmes within the country
- Experience conducting participatory, qualitative health service assessments, supported by at least 3 reference
- Experience in conducting and publishing health assessments reports/papers, supported by at least 3 references within the country or region
- Good command of both English and Kiswahili.
- Better understanding and experience of Tanzania health delivery system
- Previous experience working with the UN on similar or related assignments
Interested candidates should click on “Apply Now”, and download and complete the Employment History form (Word document).
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to submit technical and financial proposals.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 28th August, 2021.