Net Zero Initiative Coordinator at Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania
- Company: Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
The Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST); an institution of The Aga Khan Development Network, completed a major phase II expansion of the Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam in 2018.
This expansion aimed at improving the Hospital’s quality of facilities and infrastructure to become an ultramodern 170 bed facility to increase its capacity as a provider of high-quality medical care leading to a tertiary care, referral and teaching hospital.
The Phase II development focused on expanding key clinical services including a comprehensive cardiology programme, oncology services and neurosciences, as well as the expansion of Orthopaedics and Trauma, Diagnostic Imaging, Critical Care and Women and Child Health programmes.
The Hospital is JCI Accredited (achieved a level of quality and patient service that is equal to the best hospitals in the world) and the teaching site for The Aga Khan University, which offers Postgraduate Medical Education programs leading to Master of Medicine in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology and Paediatrics and Child Health.
It is also an accredited internship site. As part of the integrated health systems approach, AKHST plans to establish 35 outreach health facilities that are located across Tanzania. Currently, 20 such clinics have been established across the country and linked the main hospital in Dar es Salaam.
We are seeking for enthusiastic, qualified and experienced Net Zero Initiative Coordinator as described below:
NET ZERO INITIATIVE COORDINATOR – (1 POSITION)
REPORTING TO THE FOCAL POINT, NET ZERO INITIATIVE
He / She Works with Climate change Lead towards behavior change and takes steps towards sensitizing AKHS, T staff, patients and visitors towards climate change and environmental stewardship.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and oversee implementation of the identified action plans with leads in procurement, support service, facilities management, and other areas.
- Develops specifications and pre-purchase technical appraisals for the equipment and Plants need to be replaced under Net Zero Initiative.
- Prepares tender Documents follows on tendering process.
- Coordinates between end users, Facilities Management/Projects and procurement for timely acquisition, installation, and hand over of the equipment and Plants under
- Once installation is complete monitors the Performance of the Plants and equipment and measures the carbon, energy, and financial savings from the Project.
- Acts as the Project lead till completion of all the installations
- Develop policies around staff practice, including energy use, selection and purchasing of products and waste generation and management.
- Coordinate research, analyze data and find creative opportunities to achieve reductions in carbon emissions in line with the over-all net zero targets.
- Keep abreast of literature and developments in the field including within Tanzania and east African region
- Works with Climate change Lead towards behavior change and takes steps towards sensitizing AKHS, T staff, patients and visitors towards climate change and environmental stewardship.
- Develop detailed action plans for each area of carbon emission reduction and implement through relevant leads, Procurement, Energy, Transport, Anesthetic gases, Refrigerants, Waste, Inhalers
- Develop indicators for each of the above, set realistic timelines, monitor these, and work through challenges towards achieving the goals
- Monitors all Performance using Building Automation/Energy Monitoring Systems
- Assist developing the regular updates through making presentations, communicating challenges, and synthesizing solutions and coordinates their implementation
- Develop familiarity with AKHS, T policies and identify key changes and modifications that result in sensitizing staff with climate sensitive practices
- Maintain appropriate relationship with the AKDN agencies and other stakeholders of respective region vertically and horizontally.
- Constantly scans media and current affairs environment related to climate actions to identify opportunities to collaborate with private and government stakeholders.
- Analyze data streams regularly to find out areas of challenges and opportunities to reduce carbon emissions creatively.
- Performs all duties as assigned by the Line Manager or his/her Designee.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical/Mechanical/ Environment or equivalent with professional experience, preferably in Environmental Engineering discipline.
- Experience in Electrical/Mechanical (HVAC)systems installation
- Experience in Project management will be considered as added advantage.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a role with direct responsibilities for environmental management.
- A relevant background in formal or informal research to develop solutions to environmental challenges.
- Proven analytical skill and experience in generating data to provide evidence to drive change.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft packages, especially Excel, Power point and Word
- Experience in supporting and providing formal or formal training to professionals and colleagues
- Experience of working in fast paced and rapidly changing environment with the ability to respond quickly to challenges
- Ability to work with diverse groups and commitment to advancing workplace diversity.
- Collaborative partner who values teamwork and integration.
- Openness, accessibility and visibility: approachable.
- Motivational and inspirational with a commitment to excellence.
- Good listening and counseling skills.
- Work well under stressful conditions, sometimes within tight timelines, to keep self and others focused objective and effective in the face of pressure.
- Influence others through positive action and elicit support.
- Employ problem solving and decision-making abilities to resolve challenges quickly and creatively through appropriate courses of action.
Method of ApplicationPLEASE NOTE: ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEWS.
APPLICATION LETTER, CV AND EDUCATION CERTIFICATES SHOULD BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY TO: [email protected] WITH THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE POSITION OR HAND DELIVERED TO HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT, P. 0. BOX 2289, OCEAN ROAD, DAR ES SALAAM.
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS IS END OF BUSINESS DAY ON Wednesday 24th August, 2022.
“AKHS is concerned about the climate and environmental crises we face and is doing everything possible to reduce our own impact, encouraging others to do the same, and advancing understanding in this field. AKHS has set itself the task of getting as close to net-zero carbon operations as possible by 2030. We expect all staff to contribute to achieving these aims in the context of their roles. We encourage applicants with previous experience or an interest in this field to apply”