National Project Personnel – Food Safety at Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Company: Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dodoma Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), leads international efforts to alleviate hunger, eliminate poverty and achieve food and nutrition security for all. Ending hunger is about all people having access to safe, nutritious and sufficient food all year round. At present, FAO is supporting food systems transformation to More efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, Better environment and Better life, leaving no one behind.
FAO is currently implementing a project titled “Building Resilience of Agri- Food Systems and Better Nutrition in the context of the global pandemic”. The project is executed under the EU funded multi-sectoral program ‘’AGRI-CONNECT’’ through support to the Ministry of Agriculture (Mainland and Zanzibar). This project includes a separate nutrition component which aims at promoting behavioral changes in order to achieve better nutritional outcome, in addition to poverty reduction, It also includes new challenges that have emerged due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its consequences on agri- food systems. FAO is seeking for a suitably qualified and experienced National Food Safety Officer to provide technical support in implementation and monitoring of the project particularly in area related to food safety and nutrition in United Republic of Tanzania.
The post is located in FAO Representation in Tanzania, with the incumbent also working with other units in an integrated and cross-sectoral approach.
The National Project Personnel will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, the direct supervision and guidance of the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), and guidance from other technical officers at the FAO Headquarter, Regional and Sub regional offices, and working in close collaboration with other relevant officers at the country office
The National Project Personnel will provide technical support to various projects in area of food safety and nutrition, and programme/project management support particularly in relation to monitoring and implementation.
Tasks and responsibilities
The National Project Personnel will be responsible for quality control of processes involving growing of crops, transportation and packing of produce, cooking of meals and any other processes that pose risk to food contamination.
The FSO will have the following roles:
- Support project start-up and inception phase
- Ensure produce collection centres and packing materials are free from contaminants
- Monitor pesticide usage in established school gardens, reduce risk of pesticide toxicity arising from consumption of grown foods
- Supervise setup of community kitchens from a hygiene perspective
- Provide technical guidance in rating safety standards of street food vending stalls and Agri marketplaces
- Support the implementation of food safety management systems (such as Good Hygienic Practices, Pre-Requisite Programmes and HACCP) in community kitchens/vending stalls / agri-market places
- Work closely with a national technical food safety team to provide IT inputs to develop the development of digital management platform
- Take part in letter of Agreement (LoA) verification missions
- Report and rectify identified unsafe practices
- Develop food safety rating tools for food inspectors and food handlers
- Provide specifications for protective equipment for personnel handling foods within the scope of project implementation
- Perform any other duties as specified by the supervisor, in support and furtherance of the FAO mission, goals and strategic framework.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree in public health/ food safety and/or related fields.
- At least 5 years ‘experience working with international/regional organizations, government and national institutions dealing with food and nutrition.
- Excellent communication and writing skills and fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Candidates should be Tanzanian.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results focus
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- Proven work experience in international, or regional and national organizations related to food safety and nutrition with special training and practical experience in nutrition education/health promotion and knowledgeable on developing behavioural change materials and messages.
- Previous working experience in Tanzania with training experience and willingness to frequently travel within the region
- Good skills in facilitation of workshops, meetings, training and or similar events, and excellent ability to conduct consultations with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in working in multi-disciplinary technical teams and providing IT inputs to team work Selection Criteria
- Relevant experience Project/Programme development, Project analysis, coordination, management and implementation
- Ability to gather, organize and analyse information.
- Capacity to interact professionally with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to organize workshops, meetings, travel and other project development logistical issues.
- Willingness to work extended hours and respond to strict deadlines.
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required. Vaccination status will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 20th April, 2022.