National Project Coordinator (NPSA7) at UNDP
- Company: UNDP
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
UNDP Tanzania is implementing Biodiversity Finance (BIOFIN) Program in Zanzibar. The Biodiversity Finance Initiative is a global programme that developed, piloted, and is continuously improving a methodology to measure existing biodiversity expenditure levels, assess future financial needs, and design comprehensive plans to use financial tools and solutions that increase financing, effectiveness, and efficiency of biodiversity management in 41 countries. The BIOFIN Program aims to enable governments worldwide to enhance their financial commitments, plans and solutions to protect, restore and sustainably manage biodiversity with a concrete, practical set of steps, tools, and approaches. The Program is intended to ensure the availability of sufficient financial resources to implement key biodiversity plans, including actions from National Biodiversity Strategies and Action Plans or other related plans.
BIOFIN’s first phase (2012-2018) enabled full assessments and initial implementation of finance plan elements in target countries. BIOFIN’s second phase (BIOFIN Phase II) enables some BIOFIN countries to complete the design and implementation of priority finance solutions. At the central level, knowledge management platforms will be expanded, and additional guidance produced for the most valuable finance solutions. The extension of BIOFIN phase II (BIOFIN Phase II extended) will allow all 41 BIOFIN countries to implement their Biodiversity Finance Plan until 2025.
BIOFIN Tanzania has completed the preparation of the Policy and Institutional Review (PIR) while Biodiversity Expenditure Review (BER) and the Financial Needs Assessment (FNA) are in the final stages, subsequently, all these steps will lead to the Zanzibar Biodiversity Finance Plan (BFP) that will come up with the number of Financial Solutions (Project) to be implemented. At least three solutions will be selected for implementation in Zanzibar starting in September 2022.
In the above context, UNDP wishes to engage the services of a National Project Coordinator who will assume the responsibility and accountability for the implementation of solutions and the BIOFIN initiative in general. The National Project Coordinator will work very closely with the three consultants currently supporting the development of the various document (i.e., PIR, FNA, BFP and BFP)
The project will be implemented under the Institutions related to Financial Solutions indicated by Biodiversity Finance Plan. The Project Coordinator will support those institutions and other actors in the implementation of the project work plan by providing technical, management, logistic and coordination support in implementing project activities. The project coordinator will follow up on daily bases with all key actors on the implementation of the project teamwork to carry out the activities as in the approved annual work plan. He/she will assist the project team to monitor project progress by submitting both narrative and financial reports quarterly, semi-annually, and annually.
The National Project Coordinator is expected to display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
The coordinator will work closely with the UNDP – Country Office Programme Specialist, Energy and Climate Change to ensure implementation mechanisms such as a National Steering Committee and technical working groups are established and meet regularly, that all planned workshops, technical studies, and other activities are organized promptly, and that they meet expected quality standards. This officer, will be appointed by UNDP CO and report to UNDP CO.
1. Oversee the management of National consultant and Experts.
- Ensure proper identification, selection and supervision of national consultants and experts, in close collaboration with the UNDP Country Office, UNDP – Country Office Programme Specialist, Energy and Climate Change and the Global BIOFIN Team and write/revise terms of reference for national BIOFIN team members.
- Supervise the work of national experts and institutions to ensure outputs are delivered on time, within the set budget, and to high-quality standards; facilitate, guide, and monitor the work of the national BIOFIN team.
2. Provisional of Multiyear work plan and Budget
- In consultation with the UNDP Country Office and Global BIOFIN Team and supported by the UNDP Country Office, Sr. Finance Expert, ensure the provisional of the revise work plan and budget and submit draft work plans/budgets timely for the bi-annual budget revision process (30 June and 31 December of each year).
- Signal any delays in national deliverables compared to the workplan to the UNDP Country Office and the Global BIOFIN Team.
3. Organize all relevant programme workshops and Meetings.
- Preparation of workshops in a consultative manner, involving a wide variety of biodiversity finance stakeholders, including the government, private sector, NGOs, donors, and academia
- Organize bi-monthly meetings of the national team and monthly calls with the Technical Advisor from the global BIOFIN team. Ensure participation of national BIOFIN team members in regional technical calls.
- Develop workshop reports for all technical workshops
- Assist with research and write and edit sections of technical reports as required.
- Review all national-level deliverables to ensure quality and consistency with the BIOFIN process.
4. Facilitate the organization of national Steering Committee meetings,
- Assist in the preparation of steering committed meeting undertake the same for any other proposed coordination mechanism and write meeting reports to be shared with UNDP CO and UNDP BIOFIN global.
- Lead programme monitoring, reporting and evaluation at the national level, draft bi-annual reports for review by UNDP CO before submission to the global BIOFIN team.
5. Risk Management
- Ensure timely identification of risks in implementation at the national level and communication to the global BIOFIN team and UNDP
6. Any other duties assigned by UNDP that have direct relevance to the programme.
• Ensure any other duties assigned by UNDP is competed within the agreed time-frame.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
- Completion of Secondary School Education with specialization in environment/natural resource management, biodiversity, economics/finance or a closely related field, or another field combined with relevant work experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in environment/natural resource management, biodiversity, economics/finance or a closely related field, or another field combined with relevant work experience.
- Minimum 7 years (Secondary Education) or 4 years (Bachelor degree) of relevant experience, preferably in the implementation of environment, climate change and biodiversity finance projects;
- Exposure to environmental issues or biodiversity is highly desirable, but not a requirement;
- Experience in collaborating with international and national experts and institutions;
- Sound understanding of key software packages (MS Office);
- Ability to use social media applications, e.g., Twitter, Instagram, Facebook;
- Highly organized, sets priorities, produces quality outputs, meets deadlines, and manages time efficiently;
- Ability to maintain an overview in complex work situations, self-starter;
- Able to gather and process data and information;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to network among the national team and beyond to other national institutions;
- Writes professional correspondence adequately;
- Shares knowledge and is willing to provide support to others who request advice or help;
- Works toward creative solutions by analyzing problems carefully and logically;
- An organized and systematic approach to his/her work;
- Capable of working in a high-pressure environment with sharp deadlines, managing many tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to effectively plan and coordinate activities;
- Knowledge of standard software packages, including MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, etc.; (Experience using Adobe Suite for design purposes, specifically Photoshop and InDesign, in addition to other Adobe applications is an added advantage);
- Excellent graphic design skills;
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade, and transform;
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data, and present it in a comprehensive and reader-friendly way;
- Willingness to learn from others and work well in a team environment;
- Knowledge of using the following Apps/application will be an advantage – Canva, Hootsuite, Trello board, Campaign Monitor;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Prior experience with UNDP projects would be an asset.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
The deadline for submitting the application is 25 November 2022.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 15th November, 2022.