National Professional Officer at Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Company: Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania - NGO Jobs in Tanzania
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through the FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind
FAO supports governments and regional bodies to address their needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition. This includes developing capacities of National Plant Protection Organizations in fulfilling their legal mandates by ensuring suppression and eradication of plant pests, diseases and preserving international trade. FAO is currently implementing a project titled “Strengthening Plant Health Services in Tanzania for Enhanced Food Safety”. The National Professional Officer (Plant Protection) will provide technical support to the project implementation, which aims at strengthening International Standards of Phytosanitary Measures, accreditation of Plant Health laboratories and strengthening of Plant Protection systems in the country.
The post is located in the FAO office in Dodoma, Tanzania.
The National Professional Officer (Plant Protection) will work under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative in Tanzania, the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), the Technical Adviser (TA) and receives guidance from other technical officers at the FAO headquarters, the Regional and Subregional Offices. S/he will work with other units in an integrated and cross-sectoral approach.
Programme development, coordination and operational assistance based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language and institutions of Tanzania.
Key Results: Effective and efficient coordination and provision of the technical and operational support of the programme and project activities of the FAO Representation.
Liaises and assists government authorities and local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO’s activities in the country and with other United Nations (UN) agencies. He/she may represent FAO at inter-agency meetings as required.
Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization’s mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications, and support the implementation of FAO’s regulatory framework (Codex Alimentarius, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country.
Coordinates the collection, consolidation and maintenance of country data on food crops, including information on external aid in FAO’s corporate systems and monitors changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector.
Participates in producing technical, economic and policy studies as required and developing country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF).
Participates in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals and monitors and reviews the status of programme/project implementation to ensure that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document; identifies inconsistencies and delays and, when necessary, proposes corrective measures to overcome operational constraints.
Briefs, trains and supervises junior staff; ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements as well as accuracy and diligence of the work provided.
Performs other duties as required.
Builds capacity of plant health inspectors in sampling and inspection techniques.
Provides technical support for deployment of an electronic Phytosanitary certificates solution (e-Phyto solution).
Supports setting up of a pest surveillance system in selected hotspots.
Supports the Ministry of Agriculture in the drafting of the Plant Health Regulations.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• National of the country Tanzania.
• Advanced University degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, forestry, fisheries, or any other field related to the work of the Organization.
• Five years of relevant experience in agricultural development and/or project implementation in an area of FAO’s activities in the country.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and of the local language (Kiswahili).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
• Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project development and management.
• Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO.
• Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development.
• Extent and relevance of experience in the collection of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries.
• Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and review.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
• Staff members in this category are recruited locally and paid according to a local salary scale. Salary scales are reviewed periodically on the basis of comprehensive surveys of the best prevailing conditions of employment in the locality.
• FAO reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required. Vaccination status will be verified as part of the medical clearance process
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: https://icsc.un.org/Resources/SAD/Booklets/sabeng.pdf
FAO encourages a positive workplace culture to increase inclusivity and diversity within its workforce. FAO applies measures in which all staff members contribute equally and in full to the work and development of the Organization. This includes:
• elements of family-friendly policies
• flexible working arrangements
• standards of conduct
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 10th April, 2022.