National Medical Officer, Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC) (6) at International Organization for Migration
- Company: International Organization for Migration
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Tanzania Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Tanzania
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Position Number IOM/KSU/002/2021
Position title National Medical Officer, Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC) (6 positions)
Duty Station Kasulu/Makere,United Republic of Tanzania
Position grade UG National Officer, Grade NO-A
Durations 3 months contract with possibility of extension
Position number N/A
Job family Migration Health
Organizational unit MHD
Reporting Directly to Migration Health Officer
Overall Supervised by Chief Migration Health Officer
Directly reporting staff Yes
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non- governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Working under the overall supervision of Chief Migration Health Officer and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer, the incumbent will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
In particular, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Perform migration health assessments (medical examinations) and complete related medical documentation of migrants referred for migration health assessment in accordance with the resettlement countries’ technical instructions and the IOM Migration Health Assessment Guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
2. Provide technical supervision and monitoring of IOM health personnel to ensure that the following activities are performed in accordance with the technical requirements of the resettlement countries such as: medical case registration, migration health assessments, medical forms
transmission, medical treatment and follow-up programs, data
processing and management, predeparture medical examination and report;
3. Treat patients with identified medical conditions of public health concern and/or safety such as Tuberculosis, STDs and mental health conditions and refer patients to specialists for assessment and/or treatment as may be required.
4. Administer treatment and vaccinations as per the receiving countries’ technical instructions;
5. Perform pre-departure and pre-embarkation medical checks on all refugee migrants departing under IOM auspices, making sure they are fit to travel;
6. Ensure timely, accurate and complete reporting of all activities on the pre- departure (surveillance, examinations, treatment, vaccination), as per IOM SOPs and as per the country of resettlement technical instructions.
7. Implement quality control standards and ensure confidentiality of individual health information; actively participate in and comply with MHD’s quality control and quality assurance programme by assuming full responsibility as case manager with requisite completion and quality check of health assessment files and management;
8. Assist in the analysis and technical elaboration of data gathered from the migration health assessment;
9. Coordinate with the local/national health authorities, physicians, hospitals and laboratories, as needed;
10. Assist in the preparation, and implementation of research activities related to the migration health, Tuberculosis and STDs and other conditions of public health significance;
11. Provide healthcare advice to IOM staff in the sub-offices;
12. Undertake duty travel and medical escorting activities, be ready for relocation of duty station to remote areas or refugee camps if needed; 13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
14. Refer patients to other specialists for treatment as maybe required.
15. Inform and consult with the Chief Migration Health Officer and the Chief of Mission of IOM Tanzania on migration health issues and proposes corrective and adjustment measures.
16. Assist in the preparation, and implementation of research activities related to the migration health, tuberculosis and sexually transmitted diseases.
17. Provide clinical consultation to suspected or diagnosed COVID-19 cases and contacts of UN staff and their dependents who will be isolated at IOM Makere Isolation and/or refugees at IOM Kasulu Isolation Centre and prescribe drugs and appropriate management. Supervise and ensure daily monitoring of cases, vital signs check, medications, and maintain records and also ensure IPC measures are strictly complied.
18. Identify signs of moderate to severe conditions which requires emergency referal of MEDVAC and follow due processes in consultation with your supervisors.
19. Provide health advice to IOM staff in the sub offices
20. Perform any other duties that may be required from time to time
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Two years of working experience with Medicine – MBChB.
1. Tanzanian citizen;
2. Registered with the Tanzanian Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board;
3. Minimum of 2 years continuous professional working experience preferably with experience in migration health, immigration medical assessments, epidemiology and/or international public health;
4. Health sector experience in Africa is required;
5. Training/experience in Paediatrics, Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases or any other medical sub-specialty is an advantage;
6. Strong practical computer skills including MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
(specify the required knowledge) Desirable
Fluency in both written and spoken English and Swahili. Knowledge of any other UN Language is a distinct advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticism
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identifies ways and implements actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders
to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
1ST LEVEL SUPERVISOR DATE
2ND LEVEL SUPERVISOR DATE
Method of ApplicationInterested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to email address: [email protected]
The vacancies are opened for both Internal and External Candidates. Only e-mail applications will be considered.
For further information, please refer to: https://tanzania.iom.int/vacancies
Posting period: From 18th February 2021– 03rd March 2021
Competencies and respective levels should be drawn from the Competency Framework of the Organization.
“All the vacancies announced by IOM Tanzania are completely free and candidates are not at any point requested to pay a fee for applying or during the recruitment process’’
Document: PH FORM.pdf