National Consultant at UNICEF
- Company: UNICEF
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Consulting Jobs in Tanzania
Job no: 545267
Contract type: Consultancy
Location: United Republic of Tanzania
Categories: Knowledge Management
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Innovation
As explicitly listed in the National Disaster Risk Reduction Strategy (NDRRS) Tanzania is at risk to disasters due to several vulnerability factors including geographical position, climate change and weather variability, assets exposure, increase in population, existence of unplanned urban settlements and environmental degradation.1 Similarly, Zanzibar is exposed to many hazards including floods, drought, tropical cyclones, tsunami, marine accidents, fire, strong winds and epidemics, all of which have the potential of disrupting the community in terms social and economic services, ecological, environmental and health.
Despite the achievements attained following implementation of disaster management interventions in the country, there have been several challenges in disaster risk reduction including increase in frequency and magnitude of disaster events, high likelihood of trans-boundary disasters, inadequate integration of disaster management issues into development planning processes, inadequate public engagement and awareness, lack of comprehensive multi-hazard early warning system and inadequate use GIS and ICT in DRRM.
How can you make a difference?
UNICEF is seeking a consultant to conduct a landscaping and requirement mapping exercise. It is therefore expected that the consultant will review existing Disaster Management systems and status of IT infrastructure within the relevant Government Disaster management and emergency response organizations both in Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar. Additionally, while mapping existing systems and infrastructure, the consultant will be expected to create a requirement document for an upcoming information and communication management system.
MAIN OBJECTIVES, DELIVERABLES AND TIME FRAME
The consultant will support the Emergency Specialist and the Innovation team in mapping existing systems at Prime Minister’s Office – Disaster Management Department (PMO-DMD) and the Zanzibar’s Second Vice Presidents Office – Disaster Management Commission (2nd VPO-DMC) by completing the following:
- Review literatures that informs about existing or required systems for information management in Emergency and mapping of pre-existing software and tools being utilized for information management.
- Review laws, policies and strategies which establish or require and guide application of information and communication technology, remote sensing, and GIS in DRRM and humanitarian services
- Identifying existing ICT infrastructure within PMO-DMD and 2nd VPO-DMC or available through partners (on site).
- Identify system requirements for upcoming information management systems including technical personnel.
- Produce a roadmap report, listing existing infrastructure and technical personnel, upcoming system requirements with technical personnel and a costed, time lined implementation plan.
Specific Tasks of the consultant
The consultant will work closely with the Focal Points in the Disaster Management Department/Commission in the Office of the Prime Minister (Mainland) and Second Vice President’s Office (Zanzibar) to:
1. Review existing literature that informs about existing or required systems for information management in Emergency and mapping of pre-existing software and tools being utilized for information management
1.1. Jointly with UNICEF Tanzania Emergency Specialist list, organize and upload all relevant documentation to a shared location.
1.2. Hold introduction meetings with relevant stakeholders.
1.3. Review all information collected, prepare and present inception report to the relevant stakeholders.
2. Identifying existing ICT infrastructure within PMO-DMD and VPO-DMC or available through partners.
2.1. Visit stakeholders’ facilities and identify existing ICT capacity both in hardware and human resources, including if any, partners ICT infrastructure.
2.2. Prepare the existing ICT infrastructure report.
3. Identify system requirements for upcoming information management systems including technical personnel.
3.1. Conduct Key Informant Interviews, focus group discussions or workshop with key subject specialists, including identified e-Government experts from Mainland and Zanzibar to define requirements for upcoming information management systems in Mainland Tanzania and in Zanzibar.
3.2. Document consolidate findings and share with key stakeholders.
4. Review laws, policies and strategies which establish or require and guide application of information and communication technology, remote sensing, and GIS in DRRM and humanitarian services
4.1. Document briefly existing laws, policy and strategies which require the application of ICT and GIS in DRM and upload the same in shared location.
5. Produce a roadmap report, listing existing infrastructure, upcoming system requirements and an implementation plan inclusive of tentative budget and timeline.
5.1. Report writing.
5.2. Organizing and facilitating findings dissemination sessions either online or in Mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar
Should there be an agreement between UNICEF Country Office and stakeholders to opt for the Workshop Modality for business requirements mapping and dissemination sessions, the consultant will be expected to organize all logistics of the events excluding financial payments to suppliers or vendors. The current bid should not include costs with venues and participant DSA’s as those will be handled separately. The consultant will be expected to travel to Dodoma for a minimum of 5 days and to Zanzibar for an equal period of time. As such, travel costs related to these activities should be considered for this service.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 1st November, 2021.