National Agriculture and Date palm Farming Specialist at FAO
- Company: FAO
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Tanzania
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), leads international efforts to alleviate hunger, eliminate poverty and achieve food and nutrition security for all. At present, FAO is supporting a number of interventions related to Agriculture (crop, Livestock, Fisheries, Forestry development and Food Security and Nutrition. FAO is seeking for suitably qualified and experienced National Agricultural Specialist on Date palm Farming to be to provide expertise in the cultivation and planting of date palm including promote sustainable and environmentally friendly practices in date palm agriculture in Tanzania by combining scientific research with practical applications to ensure sustainable and productive cultivation practices under the FAO Programme in Tanzania and according to the Country Programming Framework.
The incumbent will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, and the direct supervision and guidance of the Assistant FAO Representative – Programme and technical supervision of the FAO Lead technical Officer (LTO), the FAO Sub-regional Office for Southern Africa as well as technical backstopping from the Regional Office for Africa (RAF) and Headquarters.
The National Agricultural and Date Palm Farming Specialist will prioritize a diverse range of technical aspects to improve date palm cultivation in the country. This includes implementing effective cultivation techniques, overseeing the complete crop cycle, conducting research to enhance productivity, addressing soil health and fertility, providing guidance on farm infrastructure and water management, and integrating technology for sustainable and resilient date palm farming. Additionally, the specialist will conduct training and capacity building for agricultural extension officers and smallholder farmers, aiming to elevate overall productivity and sustainability in the field of date palm farming.
Tasks And Responsibilities
In close collaboration with the FAO project coordinator, International Date Palm Specialist, National Project Coordinator from Government and other national stakeholders, the Specialist will provide support of date palm farming in Dodoma and neighboring regions.
Specifically, The Tasks Will Be The Following
- Assist in the development of methodologies and tools for the feasibility study of date palm cultivation, to be conducted by the Tanzania Agricultural Research Institute (TARI).
- Support the implementation of optimal planting spacing and other pertinent cultivation practices for date palm.
- Facilitate the establishment of high-quality demonstration plots in the Dodoma region, showcasing best practices in date palm cultivation.
- Assist in implementing best practices in irrigation, fertilization, soil management, and pest/disease control for date palm cultivation plots.
- Support the evaluation of TARI’s tissue culture laboratory and contribute to enhancements for date palm propagation.
- Contribute to the development of a date palm cultivation basic guide manual and National Action Plan for the promotion of date palm cultivation in Tanzania.
- Assist in development of comprehensive training packages for date palm cultivation.
- Organize and support training sessions for farmers and extension officers on modern and sustainable date palm cultivation methods.
- Engage in public speaking, workshops, and conferences to share knowledge and advancements in date palm cultivation.
- Collaborate with agricultural research institutions and universities to stay updated on the latest advancements in date palm research in the country.
- Provide inputs on policy matters related to date palm production, covering aspects such as tissue culture, seedling nurseries, irrigation, crop management, and harvesting.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Msc degree in a field related to agronomy, horticulture sciences, or other related areas.
- At least five years in agricultural development of palm trees, covering essential parts as production of seedlings, water management and integrated pest management.
- Be able to work in Kiswahili and English
- National of Tanzania
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Be able to draft reports clearly, concisely, and good oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in publishing or writing clear and concise scientific papers, policy papers, and plans.
- Academic qualifications.
- Extent and relevance of work experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
12/Dec/2023, 12:59:00 AM
Type of Requisition
NPP (National Project Personnel)
Tanzania, United Republic of-Dodoma
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 15th December, 2023.