Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Specialist at Farm Radio International
- Company: Farm Radio International
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Reports to: Manager, MERL team
Works closely with: Regional MERL coordinators, Gender Equality and Inclusion Team Lead, other Specialty Teams, Country Directors/coordinators, Project officers.
Contract term: Full-time, 1 year contract, possibility of renewal
Farm Radio International (FRI) is seeking an individual with expertise in monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning (MERL) to coordinate and supervise MERL activities for FRI’s projects across sub-Saharan Africa. The position is designed to be located at one of FRI’s offices in Africa but the possibility of working remotely from another location could also be considered.
The MERL specialist will be responsible for giving shape to gender-sensitive and inclusive program evaluations, analyzing the results of collected evaluative program data, identifying patterns, outcomes, and learnings, and translating these into compelling written reports and other knowledge-sharing documents/resources. Through these efforts, the MERL Specialist will support the movement of best practice evidence into the field of inclusive, rights-based, communication-for-development (C4D) and interactive radio for development.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Monitoring and Evaluation Systems
- Work with FRI’s Program Implementation Team to design logic models and project performance management and evaluation frameworks and plans.
- Identify and develop gender-sensitive key performance indicators of project outputs, outcomes, and impact.
- Develop guides and tools for robust survey and data collection methods (qualitative and quantitative) to ensure effective, gender-sensitive and peer reviewable monitoring, outcome and impact evaluation can take place.
- Work with country teams to prepare for implementation of MERL activities – e.g., proposing sampling methods and sizes, preparation of questions, testing of surveys in relevant software, training of enumerators/facilitators.
- Support data analysis (both quantitative and qualitative) and presentation.
- Conduct training and support capacity-building activities of FRI staff in M&E.
- Support FRI’s Program Development activities by developing a MERL strategy and plan to include in project proposals.
- Prepare, revise, and/ or contribute to quality evaluation reports.
Gender Equality and Inclusion MERL Component
- Collaborate with the Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) Specialty Team to ensure full integration of gender equality and inclusion throughout all MERL activities.
- Provide capacity-strengthening support to the MERL team in GEI alongside the GEI team, including improvement or development of tools, guides and/or training for MERL team members.
- Work closely with the GEI team and project implementation teams to develop specific gender equality and inclusion indicators and targets.
- Support the GEI Specialty Team in the design and implementation of gender-based analysis – i.e., develop appropriate data collection tools and methodology, data analysis and report writing.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Fluency in English or French required; Bilingualism would be an important asset.
- University degree (or equivalent experience) in social sciences, international studies, statistics, agriculture or a related field; a Master’s degree would be an asset.
- Minimum of 5-year professional experience working in Monitoring. Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL).
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Experience in strategic MERL planning and performance measurement, including selection of indicators, target setting, reporting and database management.
- Experience working on projects with a significant gender equality and inclusion component.
- Demonstrated experience in mainstreaming gender into MERL activities and establishing gender-sensitive monitoring systems, with knowledge of feminist MERL being an asset.
- Strong experience in conducting research studies from the design and formulation to implementation, analysis and presentation of results, and recommendations.
- Excellent knowledge of survey methodologies and sampling strategies.
- Experience in designing qualitative research strategies and instruments (interview and focus group topic guides) for use in evaluation studies.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, including experience in working effectively across cultures and with diverse audiences.
- Ability to work under pressure yet deliver multiple tasks on time with attention to detail and accuracy.
- A team player with excellent organizational skills, who can also work independently, prioritize own workload, and meet deadlines.
ABOUT FARM RADIO INTERNATIONAL
Farm Radio International (www.farmradio.org) is a Canadian charity that has been working since 1979 to harness the power of radio to meet the needs of small-scale women and men farmers and rural citizens. We work with more than 1000 radio stations located in 41 African countries to fight poverty and food insecurity, while building resilience and adapting to climate change. With the benefit of FRI resources and training, our partner radio stations deliver practical, relevant, and timely information to tens of millions of women and men farmers. We also work with a range of development partners to implement high-impact radio projects in 11 countries of sub-Saharan Africa that address specific challenges and community needs. FRI is also committed to gender equality and inclusion, as we are well placed to facilitate ongoing dialogue to contribute to the transformation of harmful gender roles, norms and relations of power and the advancement of women’s rights.
Method of ApplicationFRI values diversity and inclusion. Women, people with disabilities, and members of other equity-seeking or marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply. Accommodations are available on request in all aspects of the recruitment process.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE