Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager at Jane Goodall Institute
- Company: Jane Goodall Institute
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
The Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) is a global community conservation organization that advances the vision and work of Dr. Jane Goodall by conserving chimpanzees and inspiring communities to conserve the natural world we all share, we improve the lives of people, animals, and the environment. We strongly believe everything is connected and everyone can make a difference.
The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania (JGI-TZ) is a reputable and rapidly expanding non-governmental organization committed to wildlife research, conservation, socio-economic development, and environmental education. The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania (JGI-TZ) was founded in 2001 by Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE. The JGI Tanzania with its partners makes a difference through community cantered conservation, chimpanzees research projects, youths’ environmental education, the innovative use of science and technology, we work closely with local communities in Tanzania, inspiring hope through a collective power of individual action.
The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania with funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to support implementation of the new USAID funded project, Tumaini Kupitia Vitendo (TKV) is currently seeking to recruit a suitably qualified and competent Tanzanian to fill the following vacant positions:
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager provides technical expertise in general monitoring and reporting on indicators for measuring the overall performance and progress of the programs/projects towards set goals/objectives. MEL Manager will also develop and maintain the work plan and monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) plan. The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist is responsible for data collection, analysis, interpretation, verification, and reporting. The job bearer supports implementation of the adaptive management best practices and guide project teams through the process of learning from and by making programmatic decisions based on the results of monitoring and evaluation data. The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager will report to Executive Director and work in close collaboration with JGI Africa Programs – MEL Community of Practice.
Key Job Responsibilities and duties:
- In coordination with program leadership, prepare and conduct a base line survey with measurable indicators in line with the project objectives.
- Prepare a monitoring and evaluation plan for the program, measuring the impact of the program against goals and indicators throughout the life of the program.
- Be up to date on the Monitoring and Evaluation methodologies used by JGI worldwide and be able to integrate them in the work carried out by JGI Tanzania programs.
- Travel to all areas of work and carry out survey and conduct both individual as well as focus-group interviews in target areas of work.
- Prepare and submit narrative reports based on the findings indicating the impact of the program and adjustments to be made for improvement.
- Provide training in monitoring & assessment methodologies to relevant staff.
- Identify indicators to assess needs, monitor project progress and assess longer-term impacts of projects in the identified work areas.
- Manage the development of surveys for assessment & monitoring purposes.
- Oversee the design and operation of databases for the entry and analysis of survey data.
- In collaboration with program leadership, develop plans and prioritization criteria regarding JGI’s geographical coverage of Tanzania.
- Provide analyses and reports on assessment and monitoring surveys to program leadership and counterparts.
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Minimum Job Qualifications and other Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Monitoring and Evaluation or related field, a master’s degree preferred.
- At least five (5) years of monitoring and evaluations experience, preferably having worked on projects of similar size and complexity.
- Proven experience administering monitoring and evaluations in donor funded organizations.
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written, to fulfill the technical and managerial responsibilities proposed.
- Strong English and Swahili writing and speaking skills.
- Demonstrated ability in data analysis, monitoring, and evaluation of project implementation activities in the context of biodiversity, natural resource management and/or development projects.
- Expertise in but not limited to reviewing work plans, quarterly reports, participating in field visits, initiating regular portfolio reviews, contributing to program evaluations and adaptive management processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of all requirements necessary for a result driven Program monitoring and evaluations.
- Experienced in developing and effectively applying performance management plans or similar tools is required. Experience applying theories of change, results frameworks, logical frameworks, or similar tools for project design, implementation and learning is a plus.
- Prior experience working on USAID funded projects will be added advantage.
Method of ApplicationAll applications should be submitted together with the most recent Curriculum Vitae(CV)/resume, copy of relevant academic certificates & transcripts, testimonials, three names of reputable referees, day-time telephone number or e-mail address, and should be send to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
Only the final shortlisted candidates will be interviewed and provided with the interview feedback.
Deadline: Sunday, 08th October, 2023 before 5pm in the evening. JGI Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, national or tribal origin, religious belief, gender, and marital status.
QUALIFIED FEMALE APPLICANTS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.