Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer at EGPAF
- Company: EGPAF
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Arusha & Moshi Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
“Sometimes in life there is that moment when it’s possible to make a change for the better. This is one of those moments.”
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 19 countries and supporting close to 6,000 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to facilitate access to services for those already infected. Today, because of the highly successful work of the Foundation and its partners, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States. With a growing global staff of over 1,000—nine of 10 who work in the field—the Foundation’s global mission is to implement prevention, care, and treatment; further advance innovative research and to execute strategic and targeted global advocacy activities to bring dramatic change to the lives of millions of women, children, and families worldwide.
Job title: Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer
Immediate supervisor: Associate manager (M&E)
Job grade: 5
The M&E Officer works under the Associate Manager Monitoring and Evaluation to ensure that all data management activities essential to routine program data monitoring, reporting and use are accomplished. This includes databases design and functionalities, tool design, data quality assessments, responding to data queries from program team and donors (through management), basic data analysis and data visualization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Monitoring and reporting planning in all EGPAF programs
- Participate in quarterly data collection to ensure that facility providers and CHMT focal persons provide timely and accurate data to report on required indicators. Conduct data queries and validation checks to promote validity of the raw data.
- Support SIE team in preparing all data requirements of all routine program reports (quarterly, semi-annual, annual, end of project across all donors and projects).
- Support SIE team in documentation and storage of all data files sent to donor (SAPR, APR, ad hoc query responses).
- Support SIE team in clarifying and validating data requests from the donor, and providing a rapid response plan for each request. Responses may require engaging EGPAF HQ SI support (through Tanzania SIE backstop), the program team, or CHMTs/site providers.
- Support SIE team in maintaining master site mapping, site characteristics and site support tracking databases.
- Support the SIE and technical team in assigned program areas, serving as the focal M&E officer for those assigned areas with respect to developing results frameworks, tool design, data collection/storage accountability, data management, analysis and reporting.
- Facilitate SIE team provision of datasets from the SIE data warehouse to technical team members for analysis.
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding and practice use of health information systems such as the CTC2 electronic HIV patient database, MTUHA paper-based documentation and reporting, DHIS2, DATIM, IPRS, digital health applications, etc.)
- Evaluates analytically and systematically problems of data flows, reporting protocol and plan and develop appropriate corrective actions.
- Support evaluation through participation in evaluation data collection, management and analysis activities as assigned.
- Contribute to proper documentation of program achievements and dissemination of information to relevant stakeholders through various outlets in addition to routine donor reports (e.g. presentations, abstracts, program briefs, etc.)
- Participate in dissemination of EGPAF program data, lessons learned and best practices to relevant stakeholders.
Data quality assurance, analysis and use for decision-making
- Work with EGPAF HQ SIE team to manage the quality and completeness of EGPAF program data (in Power BI or any other) during each reporting period.
- Support the development of SOPs on data quality assurance, analysis and use.
- Support the routine implementation of DQAs following SOPs, at all levels (EGPAF central, field, CHMT, sites), and ensure results are compiled, disseminated, and monitored over time.
- Support data analysis and use at different levels by using new or existing innovations such Power BI, Data Analysis Week, QI forums and others.
Representative role in different meetings and workshops
- Participate in external meetings concerning M&E, QI, M&E and other project activities as directed.
- Participate in programmatic workshops, national or international as directed.
- Collaborate with stakeholders (e.g. NACP, UCC, HMIS, etc.) in consultations on national SIE/M&E policies, tools, standard practices, quality improvement initiatives, and support piloting of data systems inter-operable with, and/or meant to be used by national systems and partners.
- Provide technical assistance to EGPAF technical team members and to district/site counterparts in continually improving their skills in applying critical data reviews/analyses to program management and documentation.
- Capacitate EGPAF Program Officers (M&E, QI, Informatics, and Technical) to support sites in data quality assurance, data documentation standards, and proper use of the CTC2, DHIS and other national data systems and tools.
- Support the process of critical review of national data collection tools in the context of the required indicators that EGPAF has to produce; provide advice and assistance in improving these tools.
- Proactively seeks new knowledge and skills for personal growth and the benefit of EGPAF (i.e. key business and program practices, monitoring, reporting, evaluation or health informatics best practices, PEPFAR data requirements, etc.).
- Any other responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- University degree in information technology, Public Health, (Bio)statistics, computer science or related field.
- Three or more years work experience in monitoring and evaluation, including experience with M&E tool development at field and reporting levels, the DHIS, data capture and data management programs (Excel, Access, Power BI, etc.), and database design and management.
- Previous experience in HIV program monitoring and reporting (e.g. indicator and systems knowledge, etc.); preferably under US Government (PEPFAR) funding.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Capacity and motivation to acquire new knowledge and skills in a short time.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English and Kiswahili); strong critical thinking, problem solving and attentiveness to detail.
- Ability to make critical decisions independently, take initiative, manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- High level of computer literacy defined by proficiency in the basic Microsoft packages, and experience with data management and visualization software (excel, access, Power BI, Tableau). Ability to code in SQL or similar language an advantage, as is experience or proficiency in statistical analysis software (STATA, R, etc.).
- Ability to work within multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 30-40% in-country.
Method of Application
- EGPAF is an equal opportunities employer and the position is open to all. Qualified candidates should submit a CV, cover letter and relevant certificates explaining how the experience detailed in the CV will contribute to the requirements of the position and references to EGPAF.
Submissions to be sent to:
Senior Human Resource Manager,
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation,
P.O. BOX 1628,
395 Ursino Park, Mwai Kibaki Road, Morocco.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Or e-mail: r[email protected]
Closing date: October 2, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.