MIS/Database Specialist at ACDI/VOCA
- Company: ACDI/VOCA
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Tanzania
ACDI/VOCA is a global development organization working in over 60 countries around the world. In Tanzania, ACDI/VOCA is implementing the USAID-funded Feed the Future Tanzania Kilimo Tija Activity, which aims to transform the Tanzanian horticulture market system into a more vibrant, competitive, resilient, and inclusive one capable of fuelling sustained growth and drawing in new market participants.
ACDI/VOCA believes that all people should have the opportunity to achieve better lives for themselves, their families, and their communities. With diverse partners, ACDI/VOCA empowers people to succeed in the global economy.
Pursuant to its mission, ACDI/VOCA is seeking an experienced and talented professional for the MIS/Database Specialist position. The position will be in charge of managing and carrying out data management functions for the Monitoring and Evaluation (MEL) requirements of the project. Administers the corporate Management Information System (MIS) for the project’s monitoring and evaluation (M&E) data collection, management, and analysis. Ensures accurate data analysis, M&E performance reporting and business intelligence. Provides MIS technical and troubleshooting report at project level. Overseas data flow and timely data processing for MEL. Responsible for handling all aspects of Database support to the Kilimo Tija staff and partners.
Location: Dar es Salaam (1post)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the project MIS and ensures compliance with corporate CLA and MEL policies.
- Supports MEL manager in devising local operating instructions and user guidelines on data capture, validation/quality reviews and entry into the MIS, as well as building staff capacity in data use.
- Ensures compliance with data quality standards and maintains a fully auditable data trail for all MEL indicator figures that are reported.
- Leads the design and integration of additional tools and applications into the project MIS framework as requested by management and technical staff.
- Manages project architecture, navigation, user interfaces/forms and permission levels of project staff for a large relational database, modifying the system as necessary to accommodate changing needs and enforce full compliance with project reporting and compliance requirements.
- Provides data analysis, MEL performance reporting, and business intelligence for the project.
- Leads the development of data analysis, modeling, queries, and graphical visualizations to support reporting requirements and real-time visibility of project performance.
- Interprets and analyzes data visualizations on project trends, strengths, and gaps to provide data-driven recommendations to management to improve project implementation.
- Responds to ad hoc requests from HQ, project managers, technical colleagues, and donors to generate customized analyses, visual reports, and maps.
- Presents data visualizations on project performance to managers, technical colleagues, and communications specialists.
- Ensures project staff receives MIS and data visualization technical support and troubleshooting. For the implementation of more complex solutions, collaborates with Global M&E and MIS Specialists. Works with the project IT specialist to ensure MIS users have maximum accessibility, including up-to-date maintenance on laptops, all necessary software, and sufficient Internet connectivity.
- Advises IT and project managers on alternative means to augment connectivity for MIS users in areas where it is less reliable. Provides feedback to the global systems and technology team on best practices and recommendations for improvement in MIS functionality and data management procedures.
- Steers data flow, validation and processing from all project locations.
- Monitors staff responsible for data collection and ensures timely data entry into the MIS, advising managers on requirements for additional data-entry support as needed.
- Designs, maintains, and oversees the use of mobile applications for data capture. allocates and coordinates the flow of work of data-entry for staff.
- Trains and guides local staff responsible for data entry. Checks data entry for accuracy and timeliness, and data is provided and analyzed in time to meet reporting schedules.
- Makes suggestions to improve data operations and implements changes as approved. Ensures that all MEL data, including baseline survey data, routine registration and output monitoring, annual outcome surveys, and end-of-project impact surveys, is fully uploaded, integrated, and traceable through the MIS.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned Organizational/Business Development Manager.
- Diploma or degree in economics, statistics, social sciences, international development, or a related field. A Master’s degree in a related field will be an advantage.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in data management and analysis is required. Previous experience in data/system management is essential. Prior experience managing large relational databases will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in the organization and validation of complex data with shifting requirements and strict deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills are required, including the ability to collect, organize, and analyze quantitative and qualitative data for reporting and action recommendations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical staff and managers at all levels both inside and outside the organization, particularly through synthesizing a large variety of information into clear and concise presentations.
- Skilled at working with Microsoft Office Suite, Power BI, and SQL.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to travel up to 30 percent within the country.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili.