Migration Health Nurse Dar es Salaam at International Organization for Migration
- Company: International Organization for Migration
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Tanzania
|Migration Health Nurse-1 Position
|Dar es Salaam, Tanzania United Republic Of
|1 Year with possibility of extension
|To be created
|Migration Health Department
|Is this a Regional, HQ, MAC,PAC, Liaison Office, or a
Country Office based position?
|Position rated on
|Reports directly to
|Migration Health Nurse Officer
|Overall Supervised by
|Chief Migration Health Officer
Organizational Context and Scope
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) and direct supervision of Migration Health Nurse Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- a) Medical examinations,
- Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity;
- Blood, urine, or sputum collection as required;
- Laboratory testing;
- TB management;
- Treatment and referrals;
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
- Documentation, certification, and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required.
- Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process; and,
- Treatments and referrals.
- Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking;
- Accurate and thorough Biodata collection;
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
- Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programmes check lists and SOP’s and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
- Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location.
- Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits, and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
- Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention, and management as appropriate.
- Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
- Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings, and preparations as necessary.
- Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
- Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per preset and agreed upon format.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree holder in Nursing with a minimum of three years of relevant clinical experience
- OR a Diploma in Nursing with a minimum of five years of relevant clinical experience
- A valid license to practice nursing in the United Republic of Tanzania.
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage.
- Knowledge of and experience in clinical nursing.
- Excellent bedside manner.
- Knowledge of principles of preventive care and disease control.
- Knowledge and experience in implementation of patient safety and infection prevention and control
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access).
- Organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
For all applicants, fluency in English and Kiswahili are required (oral and written).
Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
VALUES – All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges. Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
CORE COMPETENCIES – Behavioral indicators – Level 1
Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
The UN system in Tanzania provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, diversity, integrity, a healthy balance of work and life and equal opportunities for all, including persons with disability.
Female candidates and qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply for UN vacancies and are protected from discrimination during all stages of employment.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Method of ApplicationInterested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Number with 3 professional references and contacts to email address: [email protected]
The vacancy is open for both internal and External candidates Tanzanian national only.
Only e-mail applications will be considered.
Posting period: From 08th February 2024– 21st February 2024
Competencies and respective levels should be drawn from the Competency Framework of the Organization.
PH Form PH Form (MS Word)