Messenger at IRMCT
- Company: IRMCT
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Arusha & Moshi Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Call for Interest
Individual Contractor – Messenger
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 13 December 2022
DATE OF ISSUANCE : 06 December 2022
OFFICE : General Services Section (GSS)
LOCATION : Arusha
JOB OPENING NUMBER : 2022/IRMCT/REG/GSS-A/038-IC
Organizational setting and Reporting:
The Individual Contractor will be working in the General Services Section of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT), Arusha Branch. The incumbent will work under the general supervision of Logistic Operations Officer.
The selected candidate will be offered a contract as an Individual Contractor.
Six (6) months with possibility of up to three (3) month extension.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Is responsible for pouch dispatch documentation, distribution of interoffice mail, incoming pouch, outgoing mail materials and overnight express services.
- Prepares tags to identify: destinations, dates, airline carrier, and correct pouch numbers, summary of enclosures for each destination.
- Estimates number of pouches. Prepares daily pouch log reflecting the number of pouches, weights, etc. for scheduled airlines destinations and airlines.
- Tracks the distribution of all mail as well as pouch service.
- Ensures that all items received through the incoming pouch for intra-shipment, outgoing pouch, and in outgoing mail units, are accurately recorded.
- Signs for valuable items to be shipped via pouch and outgoing mail unit, identifies and sorts items to be shipped by pouch, by mail or by contracted shippers.
- Ensures timely distribution of urgent mail.
- Delivers by hand, sensitive and urgent letters to embassies, government ministries, UN Agencies and NGOs, etc.
- Ensures timely distribution of conference documents.
- Receives all official, personal and confidential mail and packages, addressed to United Nations Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunal, delivers, and maintains accurate records.
- Receives certified mail, registered mail, express mail, mail from permanent missions, courier deliveries, and other personal mail; prepares log sheet and forwards to the appropriate offices.
- Assists unit supervisor to open and inspect items intended for dispatch to ensure that all are following pouch and mail regulations.
- Delivery and collection of travel document to Arusha Immigration office.
- Assist IRMCT staff in the registration at Tanzanian Revenue Authority and obtaining of Tax Identification numbers.
- Performs other ad hoc tasks as required.
Qualifications/ special skills:
High school diploma or equivalent
Minimum of two (2) years of responsible experience in handling mail, pouch registry operations or related area.
English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of the other highly is desirable.
Fee for Service:
Depending upon experience, the range of fee will be 126,796 – 158,923 TZS per day.
The appointment is limited to the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals. Appointment of the successful candidate on this position will be limited to the initial funding of the post. Extension of the appointment is subject to the extension of the mandate and/or the availability of funds. As the international tribunals are not integrated in the Secretariat, UN Staff Members serve on assignment or secondment from their parent department/office if selected. Appointments of staff members in the United Nations are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General. Staff Members are expected to move periodically to new functions in accordance with established rules and procedures, and may in this context be reassigned by the Secretary-General throughout the Organization based on the changing needs and mandates. The United Nations is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. The United Nations recruits and employs staff regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds or disabilities. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities may be provided to support participation in the recruitment process when requested and indicated in the application.
Method of ApplicationQualified candidates who are able to work on short notice in Arusha, Tanzania are invited to submit their application and their UN Personal History Form (PHP), to [email protected] in-box quoting the Reference No. 2022/IRMCT/REG/GSSA/038-IC in the subject line.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN MIDNIGHT ON THE DEADLINE DATE APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
United Nations Considerations According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse, or crimes other than minor traffic offences, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment. Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.