Medical Escorts (Doctors and Nurses) -(8) at International Organization for Migration
- Company: International Organization for Migration
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Tanzania
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Position Number IOM/KSU/003/2021
Position title Medical Escorts (Doctors and Nurses) -(8 positions)
Position grade UG
Duty station Kasulu/Makere, United Republic of Tanzania
Durations 6 months contract with possibility of extension
Position number N/A
Job family Migration Health
Organizational unit MHD
Reporting Directly to National Migration Health Physician, Chief Nurse
Overall Supervised by Chief Medical Officer
Directly reporting staff N/A
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Tanzania, IOM has since significantly diversified its programming since 2005.
IOM currently implements interventions within the areas of emergency and post-conflict response, preparedness and response, disaster risk reduction, livelihoods, healthcare and psychosocial assistance, assisted voluntary return of migrants, immigration and border management, migration and development, resettlement and repatriation, family reunification, counter human trafficking, assistance to vulnerable migrants, and labour migration. This sometimes involves movement of vulnerable persons who require special travel arrangements during movement such as in relocation, repatriation or resettlement.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Under the overall guidance of the Chief Medical Officer, Tanzania, the direct supervision of the Chief Nurse, National Migration Health Officer, the incumbent
will act as medical escort for refugees with significant medical conditions requiring special travel arrangements for the duration of their travel to final destinations in the US, Australia, Canada and other countries.
In particular, the incumbent will:-
1. Review all files of refugees/migrants known to have significant medical conditions and communicate the findings with the IOM physician;
2. Ensure that special services (i.e. medications, oxygen, stretcher, others) needed are available and confirmed before departure;
3. Provide all necessary medical care and support to designated beneficiaries(s) – patients during the journey and accompany these persons to an agreed handover point;
4. Identify themselves to airline staff on check-in and again on boarding the carrier;
5. Extend general in-flight and on-the-ground support to all passengers travelling under the auspices of IOM as circumstances require;
6. Ensure that designated patients are handed over to a responsible entity overseas and that unescorted onward travel connections are completely understood by the passenger, accompanying family members or continuing non-medical escorts, and partner agencies;
7. Accommodate any changes in routing or schedule imposed by the carrier or condition of the patient;
8. Comply with standard IOM requirements for duty travel and entitlements;
9. Assume other duties as assigned, which may include meetings or briefing of national health or quarantine officials on arrival, the purchase of goods or equipment at the destination, or assisting in the shipping or return of such equipment;
10. Upon handover of the migrant(s) to the receiving party, obtain the signature from the receiving party to Migrant Handover Notification filled in and signed by the medical escort.
11. Ensure handing over is done as per previously agreed protocol or as necessitated in case of an emergency in communication with the Chief Nurse, Mobile Unit or other relevant higher authority directly concerned with the movement.
12. Complete and submit the Escort Movement Report to the IOM Mission and the relevant MHD Unit involved within one week after the completion of duty;
13. Return the IOM medical escort bag once duty is complete, with inventory of all medications or supplies used during the journey. REMUNERATION
IOM provides airline tickets and covers cost of visa application in addition to a service fee, but does not cover any additional expenses.
1) Nurse Medical Escorts will receive an all-inclusive service fee of US$ 750 for the entire time of actual medical assistance of the person under medical escort (means until handover of the person to relatives or IOM staff). No payment of fee is applicable during the rest days or the days spent without client. If duration of actual medical assistance is less than 5 days, a total fee will be paid as calculated for 5 days. In addition, the Nurse Escort is paid a
lump sum to cover hotel accommodation, dinner and lunch of US$ 100 per night (for escorts with Final/Transit destinations in Africa) and US$ 150 per night (for escorts with final destinations in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and North America), in case the escort has to stay overnight in a hotel with the escorted medical case or if required to pick up a medical case to be escorted from another location enroute to Final Destination of the Escort
2) Doctor Medical Escorts will receive an all-inclusive service fee of US$ 1050 for the entire time of actual medical assistance of the person under medical escort (means until handover of the person to relatives or IOM staff). No payment of fee is applicable during the rest days or the days spent without client. If duration of actual medical assistance is less than 5 days, a total fee will be paid as calculated for 5 days. In addition the Doctor Escort will be paid a lump sum to cover hotel accommodation, dinner and lunch of US$ 100 per night (for escorts with Final/Transit destinations in Africa) and US$ 150 per night (for escorts with final destinations in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and North America), in case the escort has to stay overnight in a hotel with the escorted medical case or if required to pick up a medical case to be escorted from another location enroute to Final Destination of the Escort.
The average duration of the round trip is 4-5 days.
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
University Degree in Medicine and/or Nursing with valid license to practice medicine in Tanzania
1. University Degree in Medicine and/or Nursing with valid license to practice medicine in Tanzania
2. For the medical doctors: At least three years of clinical experience with thorough knowledge of emergency medicine: distinct advantage to ER specialists and specialists in emergency pulmonology, cardiology; neurology and paediatric medicine including mental health specialists (psychiatrists). Current BLS and ACLS or equivalent certification required.
3. For the medical nurses: At least three years of clinical experience with thorough knowledge of emergency medicine: distinct advantage to ER nurses, nurses working at the pulmonology, cardiology, neurology and paediatric medicine including mental health departments/wards. Current BLS and ACLS or equivalent certification required.
4. Fluency in oral and written English, good written, verbal and oral communication skills;
5. Willingness and ability to provide non-medical assistance;
6. Ability to travel at least once every two months and if needed on short notice;
7. Possession of a valid US visa
8. Gender sensitivity and respect for cultural diversity
Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Office products (Excel, Outlook, Word
(specify the required knowledge) Desirable
Knowledge of languages spoken in East Africa Spoken French language is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism
• Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
• Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
• Monitors own work to correct errors
• Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
• Updates medical movement focal persons on progress of escort
• Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
• Contributes to colleagues’ learning
• Demonstrates interest in improving relevant professional skills
• Actively shares relevant information
• Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
• Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
• Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
• Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
• Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
• Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context
• Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
• Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
• Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
• Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
• Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
• Contributes to, and follows team objectives
• Gives credit where credit is due
• Seeks input and feedback from others
Actively supports and implements final group decisions
Effectively applies knowledge of IOM Migration Health
Division’s SOPs and Administrative policies and procedures in
execution of responsibilities.
1ST LEVEL SUPERVISOR DATE
2ND LEVEL SUPERVISOR DATE
Method of ApplicationInterested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to email address: [email protected]
The vacancies are Opened for both Internal and External candidates. Only e-mail applications will be considered.
For further information, please refer to: https://tanzania.iom.int/vacancies Posting period: From 18th February 2021– 03rd March 2021
Competencies and respective levels should be drawn from the Competency Framework of the Organization.
“All the vacancies announced by IOM Tanzania are completely free and candidates are not at any point requested to pay a fee for applying or during the recruitment process’’
Document: PH FORM.pdf PH FORM.docx