Media and Communication Officer (PlayMatters) at International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Company: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Advertising/Media Jobs in Tanzania
Requisition ID: req38110
Job Title: Media and Communication Officer (PlayMatters)
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Job Overview/ Summary: PlayMatters (2020-2026) is an education initiative funded through a $100 million grant from the LEGO Foundation. The program reimagines childhood for 800,000+ refugee and host-community children across Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Uganda – children whose education and social development has been affected by displacement and trauma. Building on children’s amazing resilience and a growing evidence base supporting Learning through Play methodologies, PlayMatters cultivates holistic learning for children ages 3-12+. PlayMatters is led by the International Rescue Committee and includes Plan International, War Child Holland, Innovations for Poverty Action, the Behavioral Insights Team in partnership with the LEGO Foundation.
Reporting to Deputy Project Coordinator PlayMatters Tanzania – this position will be a part of the larger PlayMatters initiative. In collaboration with the PlayMatters Tanzania technical teams and the regional multimedia and communication leads, the Multimedia and Communications officer will support the design and implementation of demand-driven multimedia and communications resources to support the overall project outcome in Tanzania. The position will support external and internal communications, graphic design, and content creation (including photography and videography) for PlayMatters-Uganda. It will produce or directly support the creation and implementation of innovative solutions for reaching a broad audience through a variety of digital avenues to enhance the engagement of male and female community members, parents, teachers, system actors, and potentially children directly, all reinforcing the learning through play (LTP) principles promoted through the PlayMatters initiatives.
- Responsible for the overall PlayMatters-IRC Tanzania multimedia and communications-related activities.
- Design promotional items like reports, PowerPoints, and other IEC materials.
- Draft articles and success stories for external communications and the PlayMatters website.
- Support the development and roll-out of communications, brand, and visibility concepts and materials.
- Work closely with the consortium partners and the technical leads to identify needs and opportunities for multimedia content development and dissemination.
- Develop scope of work and TORs to engage and support contractors working on the PlayMatters project.
- Work closely with the different media houses and outlets at the national and community level to design and disseminate audio-visual content, community outreach activities and spot messages.
- Design and produce demand-driven multimedia solutions that support project outcomes. These include but are not limited to the design and implementation of digital solutions to support the teachers’ training, resources for behavioral change and communication, and the promotion of the PlayMatters project and its overall goals and objectives.
- Liaise with the MEAL team to proactively monitor multimedia solutions, document, and manage collected data, and disseminate learnings to key stakeholders.
- Support the representation of PlayMatters-IRC Tanzania in the Education in Emergency Sector Working Group meetings.
- Engage in need assessment to identify soft and hardware requirements and specific implementation needs. Assist in implementation of Learn through Play (LTP) content piloting activities targeting educators, community leaders and caregivers in the refugee and host communities, including logistical arrangements, coordination with relevant stakeholders, and facilitation of all pilot activities.
- Degree in Education or Psychology from a recognized University or Institution
- Minimum two years’ work experience in program implementation.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- At least 1-2 years of relevant communication, writing skills, graphic design, illustration, and audio-visual production experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Good writing skills
- Experience in writing press releases, communication stories and pitching/spotting stories.
- Basic proficiency using creative graphic design and video production software, including but not limited to: Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Premier Pro, Final Cut pro and/or related software for graphic design and video production to produce aesthetically pleasing and engaging materials for a wide audience.
- Basic proficiency in using DSLR cameras and other video production equipment.
- Good verbal and non-verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment with international and national colleagues and partners.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required.
- Good organizational skills: the ability to be flexible and work well under pressure, dealing with competing priorities, in a fast-paced team environment.
- Detail-oriented and good multi-tasking abilities to meet multiple deadlines.
- Strong understanding of the Tanzania Education System and humanitarian crises and contexts in eastern Africa is a plus.
- Strong team player.
Professional Standards IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Warning: Please be warned of various scams, being circulated via e-mails, from Internet websites, and via regular mail or fax, falsely being issued by or associated with the IRC. Beware that The IRC does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training, or any other fee). IRC does not request any information related to bank accounts. If asked for any payment, please contact [email protected]
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 28th February, 2023.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE