Market Systems/value Chains Advisor at Catholic Relief Services
- Company: Catholic Relief Services
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dodoma Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Sales/Marketing Jobs in Tanzania
As consortium lead in the sector, the Market Systems/Value Chains Advisor will provide strategic vision, leadership and technical assistance in improving the overall performance of the markets and value chains component of the Accelerating and Massively Scaling-up Land and Livelihood Restoration program. The incumbent will be responsible for increasing quantity, quality, and competitiveness of relevant agribusinesses, while ensuring the integration of improved quality and quantity of goods produced; and good agricultural practices are implemented. The incumbent will have a background in agro-forestry, agricultural production, rural market linkages, private sector engagement and capacity building in agricultural/agro forestry value chains.
- Minimum Qualification: Masters
- Experience Level: Executive level
- Experience Length: 5 years
Project : TANZANIA EVERGREENING INITIATIVE
Reports To: PROGRAM MANAGER II
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official overseas relief and development organization of United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and has served people living in poverty and situations of vulnerability in over 100 countries since 1943. In Tanzania, CRS has served vulnerable communities for over 50 years and implements its programs through partnerships with the Government of Tanzania, International and local organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability.
The anticipated Accelerating and Massively Scaling-up Land and Livelihood Restoration program is a climate change initiative to be funded by G9-2030 donors aimed at supporting climate-vulnerable communities in Tanzania to improve the sustainability and resilience of their ecosystem goods and services and increase household resilience and adaptive capacity. While working with the Government of Tanzania and different stakeholders, the program will take a multi-faceted, evidence-based approach to scaling-up evergreening practices and will develop equitable agroforestry value chains and ecosystem-based businesses to underpin the sustainability of the scaling-up process.
The anticipated program aims at improving livelihoods, food and nutrition security, and resilience to climate change for small scale farmers and/or pastoralist while restoring ecosystem services, particularly through evergreen agriculture, covering four zones in mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar. These zones include the semi-arid agro-ecological zone of northern and central Tanzania, Southern Zone and Southern Highlands.
This 5-year climate change initiative will be implemented through a coalition of national and international NGOS including CARE, CRS, World Vision and ICRAF in close coordination with the Government of Tanzania.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure the program’s strategic objectives and results are fully and timely accomplished and meet expected technical quality standards across the consortium, the Market Systems/Value Chain Advisor shall perform the following:
- Under the guidance of the Program Manager (and in collaboration with the Project Management Unit, led by prime recipient CARE), provide leadership, supervision, and oversight of project activities relating to all program activities (across the consortium) that seek to improve market systems and value chains for program beneficiaries, ensuring efficient and effective project implementation including the timely completion of high- quality work plans, accurate reports, and other mandated deliverables.
- Work with the PD and M&E Manager in preparing relevant components of project work- plans with clear objectives and achievable benchmarks, reflecting strategic long-term and short-term priorities.
- Collaborate with capacity strengthening staff to develop capacity building training to support implementing partners in the area of value chain and agribusiness development;
- Provide overall support for market and agri-business development to the program;
- Provide technical leadership to program activities across the consortium related to targeted value chains;
- Lead the program team to identify and priorities key local natural resource-based value chains and markets linkages
- Identify, strengthen, or where appropriate, establish CBOs, existing producer groups and Village Savings and Loans Associations, to facilitate local value chain development, bulking of on off farm produce and provision of inputs, through community-based extension models.
- Facilitate private sector engagement including but not limited to evergreening business forums between value chain actors and government stakeholders
- Support the scaling of existing, or where contextually appropriate, establishment of new agroforestry value chains through technical and input access support, market and financial service linkages, standards and labelling, improved planting material, post-harvest handling including processing, preservation and storage.
- Facilitate establishment and/or scaling of existing Natural Resource Based Enterprises (NRBEs) including value chains, with a particular emphasis on enterprises which are likely to deliver rapid benefits.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by program management and the Head of the PMU
- Provide direct support to the program Officer for Market Systems/Value Chain
- Assist with the hiring, orientation, and training of key staff across the consortium as needed to build a technically strong, well supported, motivated team.
- Provide direction and technical advice through quarterly coaching sessions and daily support to all market chain/ value systems staff across the consortium.
Requirements: Education, work experience and skills
- Master’s degree in a relevant field including Agribusiness, agriculture, business and marketing, supply chain and/or food security and production. An advanced degree can be substituted with an additional 3 years of relevant experience.
- Minimum 5 years (8 years preferred) demonstrated experience with similar development projects focused on value chains and market systems development; including improving financial services for the poor.
- Demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders, including national and local government, donors, community-based organizations, and the private sector.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Kiswahili.
- Established relationship with and/or substantive knowledge of agribusiness firms in the agroforestry sector, both within Tanzania and internationally.
- Experience with EU project implementation.
- Extensive travels within Tanzania, and internationally as required
- Excellent Command of Swahili and English languages, in Swahili and English
Disclaimer: These job descriptions are not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the respective position.
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants are requested to submit their applications to CRS Human Resources Manager at [email protected] by 17h00 EAT on 06 June 2020. Only submissions that meet the following criteria will be reviewed • Subject line must read indicate the position applied for. • CV must be in Word or PDF format and not exceed 4 pages. • Cover letter summarizing qualifications and motivation. Cover letter must be in Word or PDF format and not exceed 1 page. • Kindly note, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted