Lifeguard/Swim Instructor at International School of Tanganyika
- Company: International School of Tanganyika
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Tanzania
|Title||Lifeguard/Swim Instructor||Category(cf Policy 5.101)||Support Staff|
|Reports to:||Principal||Department:||Physical Education|
|Job Holder||Start date:||As Soon As Possible|
IST Foundational Documents
Challenging, inspiring and supporting all our students to fulfil their potential and improve the world
IST will be a global leader in the education of internationally-mobile young people.
All students, regardless of their starting point, will think critically, achieve academically and develop the wisdom to make good choices. They will show curiosity and creativity in addressing authentic problems, local and global.
They will pursue their varied passions with enthusiasm, developing resilience, perseverance, and confidence. Understanding the diversity of people and cultures, they will act kindly, fairly, and responsibly.
All members of the IST community will work together to fulfil this vision.
Statement of Values
All members of the IST community are:
- Responsible – We act responsibly, positively and constructively towards ourselves and other people. We learn from our mistakes and accept the consequences of our actions.
- Inquiring – We show curiosity, perseverance and open-mindedness in seeking to understand and solve problems. We persevere in the face of difficulties and we embrace the learning that comes through failure as well as the joy of success.
- Compassionate – We empathise with others and act with care, kindness and courage. In our interactions, we behave with patience, generosity and integrity.
- Balanced – We believe in a broad education for our students, seeing the value of participation in a varied curriculum.
- Diverse – We treasure the diversity within the IST community, using the rich opportunities for deeper understanding that come from our differences.
IST Strategic Plan
Our Strategic Plan is in place to help our community align efforts to better reach our schoolʼs mission, vision and values. This plan is focused on three aims.
- Personalized Learning:
- The written, taught and assessed curriculum is designed to meet the needs of all learners
- Creation and implementation of the technology plan in order to ensure that future developments of media and information technology address the long-term needs of the school.
- Professional learning opportunities are designed to have a positive on impact student learning. (d) Ensure IST is recognized globally as an exemplary IB World School.
(e) Continued development of ISTʼs inclusion programs to support personalized experiences for all learners.
- Engaged Community:
- Build and sustain a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of the school community.
- Continued development of partnerships with local and global individuals, organizations and alumni to enhance student learning.
- Develop and review processes and systems to enhance communication within the IST community
- Ensured Sustainability:
- Continued review and implementation of master site plan – with focus on inclusion and access as well as facilities to support innovative programs
- Review procedures to retain and recruit employees who are aligned with our strategic plan.
- Improve ISTʼs ability to work more sustainably and align environmental frameworks to improve our educational experiences and operations.
- Enhance processes for creating, auditing and reviewing IST policy and procedure documents.
Summary of the Role
Under the supervision of the Principal, The Lifeguard/Swim Instructor is responsible for guarding their area of responsibility, responding to any level of incident around the entire facility, enforcing rules fairly and politely, checking and maintaining pool chemicals, being responsive to students and community members, ensuring safety, being patient and enthusiastic while teaching and holding productive lessons, setting up and cleaning up a er lessons, maintaining communication and relationships with teachers and their students;
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Experience: 5+ yearsʼ experience as Lifeguard/Swim Instructor;
- A minimum Ordinary Level Certificate in Education with Lifeguard and CPR Certificate;
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written form
- Self-motivated with the ability to work without supervision
- Knowledge of child protection and health and safety
- Strong customer service and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Experience in public facility management
- Willingness and ability to work collaborate effectively with colleagues
- Highly effective relationship developer with a variety of stakeholders
- Experience teaching swim lessons or coaching swim team highly desirable (j) Strong literacy in G Suite
- Collaborative team player, empathetic listener
- Integrity and confidentiality
- Intercultural awareness, creative, persuasive
- Adept in multilingual settings, spirited, pioneering, professional and nurturing
The primary responsibilities for Lifeguard/Swim Instructor will be:
- Work shi s as a Lifeguard/Swim Instructor and follow the expectations. To open and secure the facilities as required during your shi . Your shi times are stated as times to be on poolside ready for work, the facilities need to be open and ready for the start of each stated shi time
- Maintain constant surveillance and visually scan assigned area of responsibility. Walk the area to monitor activities, provide instructions, and prevent accidents.
- Provide general information on pool operations to community members. Caution swimmers regarding unsafe practices and safety hazards, enforce pool rules and regulations.
- Respond to all illness and injury incidents around the entire pool facility immediately and appropriately. This includes, but not limited to performing Lifeguarding skills, First Aid, CPR, and other until arrival of emergency services personnel.
- Rescue swimmers in danger of drowning.
- Performs various maintenance duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility.
- Treat the pool with appropriate concentration of chemicals on a regular schedule
- Maintain a clean, safe and orderly pool, deck and restrooms. Inspect facilities regularly and report any unsafe conditions/equipment to supervisor.
- Perform pool chemical checks at designated times.
- Keep accurate records of pool usage, chemical levels, pool closures, etc.
- Attend and participate in all mandatory staff meetings and trainings.
- Hold productive and engaging swim lessons.
- Set up and cleanup for swim lessons.
- Communicate openly and regularly with supervisor and team members.
Method of ApplicationPerform any other duties as designated by the Principal
Applications and enquiries should be directed to [email protected] before Close of business on Friday 13th October, 2023