Laboratory Technician Dar es Salaam at International Organization for Migration
- Company: International Organization for Migration
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Tanzania Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Tanzania
International Organization for Migration September, 2020
Vacancy Announcement IOM/DAR/020/2020
Position title On Call – Laboratory Technician
Position grade Ungraded
Duty station Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania
Duration of Contract 90 days renewable
Job family Medical Health Department
Organizational unit MHD
Position rated No
Reports directly to Chief Migration Health Officer
Overall supervision by Chief of Mission
Number of Direct Reports None
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Tanzania, IOM has since significantly diversified its programming since 2005. IOM currently implements interventions within the areas of emergency and post-conflict response, preparedness and response, disaster risk reduction, livelihoods, healthcare and psychosocial assistance, assisted voluntary return of migrants, immigration and border management, migration and development, resettlement and repatriation, family reunification, counter human trafficking, assistance to vulnerable migrants, labour migration and IOM FLoD programme (COVID-19).
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer, the incumbent will perform laboratory procedures as part of the Health Assessment routine protocols and COVID-19 specimen collection and testing. The incumbent will be responsible for:
1. Strict adherence to fraud prevention measures in all aspects of work performed for refugees/migrants.
2. Strict adherence to bio-safety measures during specimen collection, laboratory procedures, disposing of, storing, and shipping of specimens.
3. Collection of specimens and perform GENE Xpert Xpress COV2 test for suspected COVID-19 patients and other referred patients.
4. Following internationally accepted laboratory procedures when processing specimens for COVID-19, HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis, Tuberculosis, Urine and stool examinations.
5. Ensuring and maintaining high quality of performed laboratory tests.
6. Keeping laboratory registration neat and proper with clear handwriting.
7. Assisting in maintaining laboratory records on a computer.
8. Assisting in the preparation and submitting reports of laboratory examinations to requester in time.
9. Assist in preparation and submitting of stock orders in time, keeping stock records and monitoring consumption.
10. Assist in managing specimens and laboratory materials shipment.
11. Facilitating Internal Quality Assurance System in the laboratory for performed examinations.
12. Ensure confidentiality of the data.
13. Assisting in preparation and updating of standard operating procedures.
14. Participating in training/refresher trainings.
15. Perform any other related duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
16. Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• High School Degree/Certificate education in Medical Laboratory Sciences or related area is required, with 5 years of working experience. Or
• University Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or related area with 3 years working experience.
• Working experience in busy laboratory/medical institutions, International Organizations or NGO’s
• Phlebotomy experience required, and should be conversant in biological specimen collection, storing and packaging and transporting.
• Experience in TB culture laboratory an advantage
• Proficient in Microsoft Windows and Office
(specify the required knowledge)
•Fluency in both English and Kiswahili, written and spoken, required.
•Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting dayto-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a serviceoriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to [email protected]
Only electronic applications will be accepted
Kindly note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted & Vacancy is open for Internal & External Tanzanian Applicants.
The deadline for submitting the application is 24th September 2020
“All the vacancies announced by IOM Tanzania are completely free and candidates are not at any point requested to pay a fee for applying or during the recruitment process’’