Laboratory Officer at ICAP
- Company: ICAP
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Geita
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Tanzania
|Position Title:||Laboratory Officer|
|Reports to:||Technical Services Manager|
|Travel:||Up to 70% in intervention districts outside of job location|
Overall Job Function:
The Lab Officer is responsible to strengthen the implementation and management of laboratory quality assurance activities including training, mentorship, and supportive supervision of ICAP supported region, councils, and sites in the region. The Lab Officer will provide direct technical assistance to the region, councils and facilities’ laboratories and ensure that the appropriate resources are available in all sites to maintain the standards of quality laboratory management systems with adequate number of stocks and other supplies.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- Ensure ICAP supported sites meet national standards and PEPFAR indicators for laboratory practice required to support all project activities, including capacity building of laboratory personnel through training and mentorship.
- Support quality management system and quality clinical laboratory testing at ICAP supported facilities in the region.
- Coordinate and conduct capacity building of regional, council and facility staff on supported laboratory services
- Ensure availability of lab supplies and reagents support lab staff to correctly utilize lab manuals, guidelines, work sheets and ensure availability of reagents and other lab supplies and ensure proper documentation and reporting of lab services
- Provide oversight and lead implementation of HIV Viral load (HVL) Services by providing technical support focusing on sample collection, packaging, transportation, testing, and result reporting
- Strengthen HVL testing laboratories to ensure there is maintenance or improvement of the workflow for laboratory processes and improve
- Strengthen Early Infant Diagnosis (EID) Service by providing technical support focusing on sample collection, packaging, transportation, testing, and results and support scaled up and maximum utilization of available point of care (POC) platforms in EID.
- Support TB Diagnosis Service by providing technical support focusing on sample collection, packaging, transportation, testing, and result reporting
- Ensure maximum utilization of available GeneXpert for TB diagnosis
- Strengthen integration of TB diagnostic samples transportation into the sample referral system
- Collaborate with R/CHMTs and other stakeholders to expand and strengthen EQA services especially for HIV rapid test
- Coordinate with R/CHMTs to strengthen the laboratory sample referral system, and work with couriers to facilitate sample transportation from lower sites to facilities with testing capacity, and results back to respective sites
- Work closely with health facility laboratory manager and quality officer in developing and refining guidelines and protocols for laboratory services
- Ensure maximum utilization of electronic sample referral system for improved turnaround time of test results
- Collaborate with stakeholders to improve quality of HIV testing, by supporting the national certification program for non-laboratory HIV testers and HIV testing points, through provision of technical assistance and mentorship to participating
- Institute and monitor the use of internal quality control in all tests performed
- Responsible for ensuring supported sites meet national standard for laboratory practice required to support all project activities, including assessing site needs, identifying areas for quality improvement and capacity building of laboratory personnel through training and mentorship
- Support implementation of laboratory continuous quality improvement and quality management systems to ensure good quality clinical laboratory testing
- Prepare timely quarterly and annual narrative reports, best practices, lessons learned and other relevant documents on laboratory services
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in laboratory o Preferred: Additional Master’s degree or higher in the following fields: Public Health, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, or related discipline.
- Required Technical Experience: Minimum 3 years laboratory experience in general clinical laboratory testing, including HIV testing, CD4, viral load testing and microbiology and the following:
- Capable of using various machines including FACS count, Calibur, PIMA, Gene Xpert, DNA PCR and VL machine.
- Knowledge and skills on good laboratory practice, good clinical laboratory practice, laboratory safety management, and transportation of infectious materials (IATA).
- Capable of supporting monitoring of viral load suppression (HVL sample transportation, hub spoke model, HVL testing and accreditation). o Ability to conduct laboratory training, mentorships, and supportive supervision o Familiar with the national laboratory guidelines and policies o Preferred: Familiarity with PEPFAR-funded HIV programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with fluency in English required.
- Strong computer skills (MS Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint at minimum; preferred proficiency with statistical Software such as SAS and SPSS).
- Ability to provide high quality technical assistance to regional offices.
- Ability to lead and work with a diverse team.
- Ability to develop and present reports and presentations using lab data
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and strong problem-solving skills.
- Flexibility to work after normal working hours and on weekends with significant travel outside of duty station.
- Familiarity with Tanzanian context; fluency in Kiswahili required
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 25th August, 2023.