Junior Accountant at Research Triangle Institute (RTI)
- Company: Research Triangle Institute (RTI)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Tanzania
RTI international (http://www.rti.org) is an independent, Nonprofit organization dedicated to conducting innovative, Multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and l\ILRN\IION\l development and multidisciplinary services.
USAID Tanzania Tuhifadhi Maliasili Project
Research Triangle Institute (RTI) is an independent non-profit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition with over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector in managing their environment and natural resources. RTI is implementing the USAID funded Tuhifadhi Maliasili Project, which goal is to address dynamics that hinder habitat connectivity and the long-term persistence of biodiversity in Tanzania.
RTI is looking for a candidate to fill the Junior Accountant Position. The position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with travels required to the project areas.
Purpose of the position.
The Junior Accountant is responsible for the day-to-day accounting functions of the Project. The candidate will utilize the appropriate systems (payroll, cash management, vendor payments, budgeting) and follow proper accounting procedures to disburse, account for, and report usage of funds.
- Process payments for staff travel advances, ensuring advances are liquidated on time and accurately.
- Prepare payment vouchers in support of payments for project activities and supplier’s invoices.
- Confirm payments are made in accordance with RTI and USAID procedures and policies, and are accurate, complete, and supported by all underlying appropriate documents, correctly coded to appropriate expenses and tracking code and charge codes.
- Raise journal vouchers or/and share journals with Finance Manager for necessary review and approval.
- Provide support to compile and submit the monthly financial reports package.
- Address monthly financial reports review, and questions or comments related to travel and activity advances and respective liquidations.
- Review sub-grantees financial documents, including budgets and supporting financial documentation, in consultation with the Grants Manager.
- Assist in the compilation of pretty cash records and conduct surprise/monthly petty cash counts.
- Make payments to workshop participants (including travel and meals refunds) as designated by the supervisor.
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- Preferred experience and knowledge of USAID accounting policies and procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proficiency in English is required.