Individual National Consultant at UNICEF
- Company: UNICEF
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Consulting Jobs in Tanzania
Job no: 546298
Contract type: Consultancy
Location: United Republic of Tanzania
Categories: Health, HIV/AIDS
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Health
With Tanzania being home to about 12 million adolescents aged 10-19 years and 5 million young adults aged 20-24 years, the Government of Tanzania has anchored adolescents’ and young people’s health and well-being as a priority in various national plans, including the National Five-Year National Development Plan for 2021-2026, the National Multisectoral Strategic Framework for HIV and AIDS 2018-2024, and the National Accelerated Action and Investment Agenda for Adolescent Health and Well Being (NAIA-AHW) 2021/22– 2024/25. Despite the notable progress made to reduce HIV infection in the country, the decline of HIV infections among girls and young women has been limited. In 2020, it was estimated that there were 68,000 new HIV infections, with 32 percent among young people aged 15-24 years. Of all infections among young people, 67 percent were among adolescent girls and young women (AGYW). The high vulnerability to HIV risk among adolescent girls and young women continues to be linked to several inter-related biological, behavioral, and structural factors, including continued gender inequalities. This requires a strong multisectoral response and scaling up of coverage of AGYW HIV prevention programmes in a sustainable and coordinated way.
The Tanzania Commission for AIDS (TACAIDS) oversees multi-sector planning, monitoring and coordination of the national HIV response, including addressing the various drivers associated with new HIV infections among adolescents and young women. To support AGYW HIV prevention efforts in Tanzania, the Global Fund supports the country to deliver an AGYW programme which is being implemented in 18 Councils and 5 regions between 2021-2023. TACAIDS is responsible for the overall planning, monitoring and coordination of this Global Fund AGYW programme, including alignment with the PEPFAR DREAMS and other AGYW programmes.
How can you make a difference?
To enhance quality and efficiency of AGYW programming, the Global Fund has operationalized an Adolescent Girls and Young Women Strategic Initiative (AGYW-SI). As a trusted UN organization with long standing experience working on adolescent HIV and SRHR, girls’ empowerment, policy, data and HIV programming, UNICEF has been identified as the technical assistance partner for this initiative. With support from this new partnership between UNICEF and the Global Fund, UNICEF will provide technical assistance to TACAIDS and recruit a technical advisor to support the GF AGYW project
The Technical Advisor will support TACAIDS to strengthen the technical staff capacity and government systems for enhanced oversight, quality assurance and implementation monitoring of combination HIV prevention interventions for girls and young women, with emphasis on the GF supported AGYW ‘TIMIZA MALENGO’ programme.
- Strengthened delivery of Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) in target districts
- AGYW Minimum Package and AGYW Vulnerability Index tool operationalized and
- Meaningful engagement of other sectors in HIV combination prevention interventions for AGYW achieved.
MAIN OBJECTIVES, DELIVERABLES AND TIME FRAME
The consultant will support TACAIDS and GF implementing partners by providing technical expertise through the following specific tasks:
- Support the TACAIDS AGYW TIMIZA MALENGO team to develop and monitor the AGYW program key performance indicators (KPIs) in alignment GF M&E plan and other additional program indicators
- Provide technical oversight in the operationalization of the AGYW Minimum Package to standardize programming across implementers and guide the rollout the AGYW vulnerability index
- Build capacity for the rollout and monitoring of the CSE programming in the TIMIZA Malengo project sites, particularly in ensuring MOHCDGEC, PO-RALG and MOEST are working in alignment.
- Strengthen the meaningful engagement and coordination with the Ministry of Education, Tanzania Institute of Education, Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MOHCDGEC), Prime Minister’s Office, UN, PEPFAR and major Civil Society partners.
- Provide technical support to TACAIDS to strengthen the involvement of AGYW Constituencies in the National and Regional Coordination Structures.
- Strengthen the capacity of TACAIDS to develop a knowledge management plan and provide technical assistance in knowledge exchange.
- Support TACAIDS to restructure and improve the AGYW partner coordination and management, including restructuring and improving the biannual and annual national coordination meetings, development of outputs or indicators for the AGYW programme that can track quarterly as part of existing national AYAS Coordination efforts.
- Support TACAIDS with high level advocacy with MOEST, TIE, MOHCDGEC and other government, UN, CSOs, PEPFAR and private sector partners to mobilize additional resources for AGYW programmes in the country.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 29th November, 2021.