Individual National Consultant at UNICEF
- Company: UNICEF
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Zanzibar Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Consulting Jobs in Tanzania
Job no: 534447
Contract type: Consultancy
Location: Tanzania,Uni.Re, Uganda
Categories: Communication for Development (C4D), Planning, Consultancy, Programme Management
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged in order children to save their lives, to defend their right and to help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone and we never give up.
And we never give up.
For every child, [Care ]
How can you make a difference?
In response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the Zanzibar Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) Pillar have initiated and implemented several communication channels to ensure the public remain well informed and guided with accurate and evidence-based information and advice.
The Government of Zanzibar, Ministry of Health (MoH) now seek to supplement these channels with a call centre that can be accessed by the general population to respond to the needs for accurate information and guidance on various health topics including related symptoms , precautions , testing and where/how to seek appropriate care. This call centre will also support the Government in its efforts to monitor and understand the most frequently asked questions from the public and identify the rumors, myths and misconceptions in circulation amongst the public so that they can best address them in an effective and timely manner.
Given the potential value of a call centre as a permanent channel of communication and source of accurate information to the public for other RCCE issues as they arise and health topics more broadly, the Government is seeking to design, develop and implement a call centre that can be sustained beyond COVID 19 and have the potential to cover a broader range of health topics such as Cholera , measles and Malaria.
A suitably qualified and experienced consultant is sought for a short-term consultancy to work closely with the Government and supporting development partners to provide technical assistance at this initial design and development stage of the call centre.
Methodology and expected outputs
The consultant is expected to work remotely as well as be available for site inspections, supervision meetings and meetings with MoH staff and partners.
During the consultancy, the consultant will:
Establish and document user requirements for the call center
- Conduct consultation with staff and partners dedicated to support establishment of call centre to clarify the scope and design of the call centre sought
- Consult with those involved in the design and set up of the call centre in the mainland and Health Promotion staff overseeing its day to day operation and reporting to establish any lessons learned that can be applied to Zanzibar.
- Prepare a detailed specification of the Call Centre operations and service level based on these discussions and requirements mindful of available resources. This should describe how the call centre would operate, the level of service it would provide, role of call agents, availability and access to text based content, quality assurance, Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s), etc. drawing where relevant on the mainland call centre.
Design and recommend the operational and technical specifications for the establishment and operation of a toll-free call center.
- As informed by the user requirement, detail the design of the call center and its key features
- Advise on the most appropriate and efficacious technical solution for the call center and advise on any technical assumptions, long term cost or maintenance implications and other such factors that should be considered
- Ensure that design and technical solution of the call center aligns with government mandatory requirements such as those by Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA) and/or other requirements of the government of Zanzibar.
Detail the operational requirements for the setting up and on-going delivery of the Call Centre including but not limited to:
- Staffing requirements
- Skills and capacity requirements
- Provide Outline estimate costs
- Content development
- Quality Assurance
- Key performance indicators
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Chief of, Zanzibar Field office through the C4D Officer the incumbent will provide immediate support to the Ministry of Health, Health Promotion Unit to conduct the following:
- To consult and discuss with Health Promotion Unit (HPU) on the current concept note for the call center and function of the toll-free call center for Public Health Emergencies
- To meet with HPU Staff, MoH counterparts for consultation on the concept and function of the call center and establish high level user requirement for the establishment of the call center.
- Based on the high-level user requirement to develop the call center design and its business flow and identify costed technical solutions for running the call center business.
- To prepare the call center design document with estimated costs and present it to MoH, UNICEF and Partners for further discussion and endorsement.
- To gather all Government mandatory requirements for establishment of the call center and ensure that its development is aligned to them.
- Meet with mainland health promotion staff responsible for the oversight and management of the call centre and clarify lessons learned.
- Meet with the technical team responsible for the design and installation of the technical solution and establish lessons learned.
- Submit a detailed report with clear technical recommendations and implementation steps for establishment of the call center
The deliverables in this consultancy shall be:
• Report detailing the high-level user requirement and overall design of the call centre
• Report detailing a costed technical solution for the call center including ongoing maintenance
• Timeline for the setting up of the call centre that covers operational service delivery aspects such as staffing, training, content, quality assurance etc
• Timeline for the technical solution procurement, installation, set up and trouble shooting
• Draft ToR that can be used by the GoZ to identify and engage a provider of the technical solution.
100 % of total fee on submission and approval of the deliverables.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will need to have;
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in computer science, telecommunications engineering, ICT or related field. Preferably a higher degree encompassing knowledge of health informatics and health system strengthening.
- A minimum of 7-10 years of relevant experience with either the UN and/or NGO developing ICT Solutions
- Experience in carrying out a similar assignment shall be an added advantage
- Knowledge of public health and one or more other relevant areas (e.g.: behavior change, health promotion etc.)
- Experience in working in Zanzibar
- Fluency in English (verbal and written) and Swahili is a must
- Excellent training and facilitation skills, oral and written communication skills
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 22nd October, 2020.