Inclusive Agribusiness Expert / Country Project Manager / Agriculture Sector Lead at SNV Tanzania
- Company: SNV Tanzania
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
- Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
The CRAFT (Climate Resilient Agribusiness for Tomorrow) project will build on our Inclusive Business Development and Climate & Business work to increase adoption of sustainable Climate Smart practices, technologies and innovations so as to increase the resilience of agribusinesses as well as small holder farmers in the context of an agricultural development confronted with the effects of climate change.
For more information on our operations in Tanzania and SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
The Climate Resilient Agribusiness for Tomorrow (CRAFT) Project is a 5-year, € 39 million project being implemented in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, which started in June 2018. The project uses an inclusive Business Case development approach to support climate change and sustainable production efforts in arable farming. The programme will work with and through the private sector and supports public sector partners in creating an institutional environment for wide-scale adoption of CSA-practices. It is driven by 3 pillars: i) adoption of CSA practices & technologies in arable crop production farming systems; ii) acceleration of investments and business growth in selected value chains; iii) improved enabling environment for scaling out of CSA. Interventions are centred on business cases which are derived from a thorough climate risk assessment and financial analysis of value chains in pulses, oilseeds, potatoes and grains. A climate smart business case innovation and investment facility aims to further improve access to finance and facilitate scaling. The programme is implemented by a consortium consisting of SNV, Wageningen University & Research (WUR), the CGIAR research programme on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS), Agriterra and Rabo Partnership, and is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DGIS).
The Inclusive Agribusiness Expert/Country Project Manager (PM)/Agriculture Sector Lead (Ag SL) has the responsibility of the development and implementation of business cases whereby climate smart agriculture interventions are integrated into the value chain from an agronomic, financial and inclusion perspective. Prioritised value chain commodities are pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains. The incumbent will identify and support business cases for the co-investment fund and broker access to finance and investment of the businesses. S/he will coordinate and work with financial institutional partners to scale climate smart investments. As country project manager the incumbent will be responsible for the day to day management and coordination of all Tanzania related project activity planning, implementation, M&E, communication, reporting and related budget expenditures, as well as CRAFT country team/staff supervision. The incumbent will take on delegated responsibilities as appropriate and needed from the CRAFT multi-country project manager and the Tanzania country director as needed.
The PM/Ag SL reports directly to the Multi-Country Programme Manager for the CRAFT project and the Tanzania Country Director and collaborates closely with the Agriculture global sector team.
Key responsibilities include:
Agribusiness and Project Management (90%)
- Manage all in-country aspects of project management: including regular reviews of budgets, work planning, human resource, pipelines, activities and reporting;
- Oversee and support country programme implementation and report to the multi-country project manager and country director.
- Coordinate and contribute to the review of climate impact assessments of prioritised commodities (pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains) for incorporation into business/service provider cases;
- Identify inclusive business and service provider cases for the climate innovation and investment facility;
- Support agribusinesses and service providers to develop viable and bankable climate smart investment cases;
- Design milestone-based payment schemes and contribute to the assessment of the business/service provider cases;
- Coordinate with the fund manager the planning and disbursement of grant funds;
- Support the implementation, monitoring and roll-out of cases once approved and awarded;
- Broker access to finance and investments between SME’s and financial institutions;
- Advise financial institutions on climate smart business investments to leverage climate finance money;
- Set-up of coaching programs on agribusiness management for female entrepreneurs and youth;
- Support agribusiness/multi-stakeholder platforms to promote, advise and jointly agree on climate proofing value chains, policy recommendations and climate smart investments.
Sector Leadership (10% – this shall not include any BD related tasks)
- Strategic Leadership: develop country level Agriculture strategy aligned to corporate Agriculture frameworks;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the senior team of SNV project managers;
- Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of Agriculture programmes in line with SNV’s internal frameworks;
- Contribute to SNV Tanzania Management as a member of the Country Management Team.
Functional Competencies –
– Knowledge of the prioritized commodities preferably at global level and in Tanzania;
– Experience in value chain development, climate smart agriculture, and agribusiness finance, preferable experience with climate finance;
– Ability and demonstrated experience of designing and appraising business cases;
– Experience in female and youth entrepreneurship programs;
– Strong agribusiness relationship management experience and focus with the ability to stimulate trust and confidence with clients and investors including managing various stakeholders;
– Understanding of climate change risk management and inclusion of smallholder producers into the supply chain;
– Hands on experience in facilitating multi-stakeholder platforms with proven improvements in supported value chains
– Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large scale comprehensive projects;
– International work experience and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors and partners in a multi-cultural setting;
– Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills;
– Flexible approach to take on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated by the Country Director and/or the Multi-country Project Manager;
– Computer literate with excellent skills in MS Office application and other relevant software ;
– Able to work comfortably and effectively with or without supervision, either at own initiative or under direction
- A relevant academic qualification: Master’s degree in Agribusiness, Agricultural Economy or Business Administration;
- Minimum of ten years of experience of working with or in Agribusiness, preferably in the prioritised commodities (pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains);
Terms of Appointment
This is a full time-National Employment Contract
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation.The deadline for sending in applications is 17th July 2020. SNV reserves the right to reject outright any applications that do not meet the application requirements listed above. All information will be in the strictest confidence. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Method of Application
Closing Date : 15th August, 2020.