Human Resources, Legal and Compliance at Natural Extracts Industries Ltd (NEI)
- Company: Natural Extracts Industries Ltd (NEI)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kilimanjaro
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Human Resource Management Jobs in Tanzania
Natural Extracts Industries Ltd (NEI) is pioneering the sustainable, natural flavour manufacturing industry in Tanzania for global export, starting with vanilla and other flavour extracts. The company works in all areas from cultivation, to post-harvest processing, value-add manufacturing and international sales and marketing. The smallholder outgrower network currently integrates over 6,000 vanilla farmers from Kilimanjaro, Arusha, Morogoro, Mbeya and Kagera regions and through this sourcing model NEI aims to deliver a long term socioeconomic impact by doubling annual income per smallholder household.
Post: Human Resources, Legal and Compliance, Jr. Lead (1post)
Location: Moshi, Kilimanjaro
- Defining and enforcing HR policies (as per Employee Handbook) and ensuring all employees understand and adhere to these policies.
- Supervising the full range of management and administration activities for the Human Resources Department, including:
Advising on and negotiating contracts and agreements related to workplace and employment matters.
○ Assisting in enforcing proper induction of a new employee following induction protocol. Review/update the induction protocol from time to time.
○ Developing, reviewing and updating HR systems and processes, including policies, forms/templates/contracts.
○ Handling disciplinary matters, staff rules and labour dispute resolutions.
○ Interpreting and advising on employment law.
○ Identifying and mitigating areas of compliance vulnerability and risks.
- Assisting on enforcing the recruitment process for job openings, including the development of job profiles, job slotting, placing advertisements, coordinating candidate information and interviews, conducting reference checks, constructing offers and employment contracts.
- Enforcing and assuring HR compliance, i.e., that all staff requirements adhere to national laws and practices such as Tanzania Employment and Labour Relations Act, Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) Act, Environmental Management Act,Higher Education Students’ Loans Board, Trade Unions, Immigration and Labour Regulations etc, including keeping up-to-date knowledge of amendments and practices.
- Provide high level legal advice to senior management on legal issues relating to key employment matters, and interfacing with peers, outsourced legal counsel, and industry bodies (e.g., Association of Tanzanian Employers) to analyse legal requirements and HR matters.
- Together with the HR head of department, defining, structuring and implementing HR strategies, including a professional development and career progression framework that ensures equitable treatment, equitable pay, and sets expectations of all staff; and develop a learning and development program matching this framework.
- Being an impartial and unbiased representative of employees to the company, and of the company to employees, and providing feedback both ways as needed.
- Representing the company at CMA or other arbitrator hearings, as needed.
Desired Qualifications & Experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources (HR) or Law (LLB), (with significant supervisory experience in an employment law practice or HR function.
- At least 4 years of experience in the HR field; in-depth knowledge of the labour law are highly desirable (e.g., certificates of training from ATE).
- Ability to negotiate and arbitrate between employees and their managers/management, or between the company and service providers, including the ability to understand the root cause of any problems arising.
- Exceptional ability to make decisions of sound judgement, often in crisis or emergency situations and to manage the crisis situation appropriately.
- Excellent team management, mentoring, and coaching skills to provide instructions and
guidance to staff with respect to activities, challenges, and questions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both oral and written, in Swahili and English,
particularly for legally-binding and regulatory letters/documents.
- Ability to compile information and present this in top-down report format (either oral or written) to management.
- Must be highly skilled in computer productivity packages such as Microsoft Office and Google Workspace (e.g., Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets).
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and be sensitive to foreign cultures.
- Advanced planning, time-management , multi-tasking, organizational skills and deliver tasks accurately, on time and within budget.
- Willingness to travel to the company’s other operating regions.
- Ability to deal with highly sensitive and personal information in a confidential manner.
- A passion for the food industry and social impact.
Method of ApplicationInterested candidates should submit their cover letter and CV to [email protected] by September 24th 2022.
Applicants must indicate the subject line for the role applied, failure to do so will lead to disqualification.