HR and Admin Assistant at Danish Refugee Council
- Company: Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Human Resource Management Jobs in Tanzania
HR and Admin Assistant
Founded in 1956, The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities – in more than 40 countries around the world. DRC has been implementing emergency response projects in Tanzania since the onset of the Burundi refugee crisis in 2015 in three refugee camps in the Kigoma Region at the border with Burundi. DRC’s integrated projects for refugees, asylum seekers and host communities comprise sectors such as Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), Protection, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter and infrastructure, General Food Distribution (GFD) and Livelihoods.
Overall purpose of the role:
Responsible for performing general Human Resources and Administration functions, playing a key role in the overall HR functions including staff recruitment, contracts preparations, staff leaves/attendance and time-sheets tracking.
This role has a base focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines at base level. The role contributes to the development of base strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
• Assist in ensuring staff compliance with human resources polices, as per DRC’s Operations Handbook and local HR Handbook.
• Ensure that leave, recruitment, and training trackers are updated on a regular basis.
• Monitor staff attendance and ensure that all staff timesheets are submitted and filed on time.
• Assist in communicating with interview candidates and scheduling for tests and interviews.
• Prepare employee contracts.
• Responsible for ensuring the following are accurate, complete, and up to date: -personnel files, administration of health insurance scheme, social security,
• Assist managers and staff on effective performance management and administer the collation of performance management documentation
• Ensure new staff receive an appropriate orientation and induction.
• Ensure clearance and debriefing is carried out for exiting staff.
• Support staff development activities including promoting the DRC Learning Catalogue.
• Assist the HR&Admin Team Leader in processing and tracking National Staff employment contracts, job applications and other necessary recruitment documents including JDs
• Advise the HR&Admin Team Leader on general staff issues, i.e. Training need, staffing level for National staff as well as Incentive staff.
• Support HR Team Leader in recruitment process for refugee (incentive) worker and participate in general recruitment as assigned by supervisor [from advertising, short listing, interviewing and hiring as required and to national staff were requested.
• Support the HR and Admin Team Leader in regard to working permits, visa, and other form of registration.
• Ensure staff compound, office/expert houses have internet, DSTV is tracked and paid in time.
• Support the HR& Admin Team Leader in coordinating administrative support for visitors and expat staff coming into Kibondo (arrangement of accommodation, communication and welfare)
• Ensure that all office systems and equipment (power, water, telephone, photocopier, fax, etc.) are in good working order.
• Payment of office and guest house bills.
• Responsible for office supplies.
• Manage all contract arrangements with lessors and ensuring that contractual obligations are adhered to.
• Establish central mail recording system and filing system.
• Ensure that DRC staff have Identification cards (ID) with the period of validity in accordance with the employment contract.
• Supervise Cooks and Cleaners to ensure the office and expert staff houses environment is clean and ready in time for usage and accommodation and presentable as per DRC requirement.
• Assist the HR&Admin Team Leader in all required administrative and secretarial work, including typing documents/reports, filling correspondence, photocopying and supplying resource materials, drafting letters and other materials (e.g. memos) etc.
• Maintain smooth flow of information and communication in the office receiving and channeling all correspondence to the appropriate persons internally and externally
• Support the HR&Admin Team Leader in organizing the AOMT meetings- on weekly basis and other meetings including monthly staff meetings as scheduled and prepare related minutes.
• Support the reception team in ensuring that visitors are received with courtesy interviewed and is directed accordingly. Ensure that the reception team Controls Telephone and channels to appropriate offices and prepare telephone and fax bills on monthly basis.
• Ensure quality management of assets and other items procured including stationery etc.
• Responsible for necessary repairs & maintenance in a timely manner in coordination with the logistics staff.
• Support the HR Manager in ensuring that all staff have adequate and habitable office space and identify industrial hazards within the working space
• Support HR Manager in making bookings for meetings for both programs and operations teams as periodically requested and ensure participant’s lists are generated and meals provided are worth value for money.
• Track all PRs received from programs, and make follow up accordingly
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
• Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
• Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
• Diploma in Administration, Human Resources management or related field or equivalent qualification.
• Proven two years’ experience in office related duties or human resources duties with good command of English and Kiswahili.
• Must have computer skill and be able to work under pressure.
What we offer
Salary: in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment Management Band/I.
Availability: 1st January 2023.
Duty station: Kibondo,Tanzania
Reporting Line: Hr and Admin Team Leader
Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
DRC strives to attract, motivate and retain qualified national staff within its programs. As such, we strongly encourage national and diaspora candidates to apply for this position. However, candidates should take into consideration that DRC cannot employ, under an international contract, a national of the country in which he or she will be working (in this case, the United Republic of Tanzania)
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 23rd December, 2022.