Head of Programme at Danish Refugee Council
- Company: Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for highly qualified and experienced Head of Programme candidates for future job openings in EAST Africa and Great Lakes Region, to ensure programmatic development, strategic focus and alignment and compliance with DRC’s global processes and procedures in the countries we operate in.
About the job in general
The Head of Programme has the overall technical and management responsibility for DRC’s programmatic work, including in protection, peacebuilding, resilience, economic recovery and promotion of durable solutions for displacement affected populations, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. Key focus area of work is to lead and manage the strategic development and implementation of the DRC programmes.
S/he will ensure timely delivery of planned results, within budget, oversee adherence to applicable policies, guide and manage the capacity building of DRC project staff, spearhead fundraising and business development, safeguard staff and assets, advance and coordinate DRC’s work with internal and external stakeholders, including current and potential donors, contribute to planning, coordination and learning within DRC and the organisation as a whole. As part of the DRC Senior Management Team, the Head of Programme may have responsibilities as part of the regional initiatives in East Africa and Great Lakes region such as development or review of durable solutions strategies.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Head of Programme reports to and works in close collaboration with the Country Director. Specific responsibilities include:
Strategic Programme Development
- In co-ordination with the protection, economic recovery, HDPB and other technical staff, lead the strategic development of DRC’s work in Kenya.
- Support the Country Director in drafting, promoting, and rolling out of all DRC-relevant strategic programme and planning documents in broad consultation with all relevant staff. These documents include the Strategic Programme Document, Results Contract, as well as strategies for all programming sectors.
- Ensure proper understanding of DRC programmatic approaches and strategies by relevant actors (i.e. staff members, partners, partner NGOs, government counterparts, and donors).
- Ensure high quality technical programme design, implementation and MEAL across all DRC Kenya operations
- As an SMT member, manage regular and critical review of the country strategic and action plans and initiate corrective actions/problem solving if and when needed. Follow-up on the Results Plan and report against its indicators.
- In close coordination with the Country Director, represent DRC in key programme relevant meetings with donors, local government authorities, partners, UN agencies and international and local NGOs and various local co-ordination forums.
- Support development and review of the country programme emergency preparedness and response plan.
- Align DRC Kenya program sectors with the DRC Global key sectors as per Country needs.
- Design and implement a resource mobilization strategy
- Manage and develop strong strategic business development to maintain, direct and expand DRC’s current programme portfolio in Kenya
- Position DRC Kenya for consortia opportunities, including with private sector partners
- Management, operational oversight, coordination and implementation of DRC projects within the DRC Kenya programme.
- Manage the program technical team to ensure effective support to field teams in design, quality assurance, and consistent application of grant compliance standards/policies.
- Provide appropriate and timely feedback to the programmes team staff regarding their performance, including annual staff performance appraisals. Identify with staff their needs and opportunities for professional development.
- Support the development of an organizational culture that reflects DRC mandate, values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourage a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation.
Programme Quality Assurance
- Ensure high quality project implementation for DRC projects in line with agreed results, budgets, and work plans.
- Contribute to regular programme risk analysis and development of mitigation plans in consultation with Area Managers and technical staff
- Ensure cross-cutting themes e.g. AGD, Climate Change Adaptation, CHS & relevant technical standards are mainstreamed in all programs where appropriate and relevant.
- Contribute to the improvement and application of the country programme monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning system in order to facilitate continual learning and adaptive management.
- Contribute to active dissemination and communication of programme findings and research outcomes widely.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of capacity building of key staff on issues relating to programme strategies and quality.
Compliance and Grants Management
- Ensure that relevant grants management and donor regulations and requirements are adequately shared and understood by the programme and support teams by overseeing the regular conduct of grants inception meetings, follow up meetings and trainings on donor requirements.
- Plan and execute trimester and annual review sessions and oversee implementation of corrective measures.
- Support the review and timely submission of high-quality donor reports in collaboration with programmes and area teams.
People Management and internal communication
- Manage, coordinate and coach members of the programme team, ensuring their professional development and capacity building as needed
- Oversee and support capacity building for expatriate and national staff on technical issues and program cycle management, based on assessment of the critical program improvement needs of the country mission
- Work in close cooperation with programme and support staff in the country mission, and actively seek support, knowledge and coaching as necessary from colleagues in other regions and HQ
External relations and representation
- Together with Country Director, ensure adequate bilateral representation of DRC with government authorities, donors, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partners in regard to programme and participation in coordination meetings as relevant.
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate should have a minimum of 7 years experience within a similar role overseeing a complex emergency and development programme preferably working on displacement issues. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Relevant University Degree, Masters or post-graduate in international relations, Humanitarian Programs Management, degree, political science, international development and/or similar field
- Minimum 7 years management experience, of which at least 3 should include management of a portfolio of programmes across multiple sectors.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in staff management and development.
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks
- Strong experience in programme quality, MEAL, programme development and proven fundraising abilities with key donors
- Proven experience of representing externally to key stakeholders, including donors, embassies and clusters.
- Experience of leading strategic programming and planning processes
- Experience of managing systems and tools to oversee complex project portfolios across different sectors and locations as well as within consortiums
- Ability to live and work under pressure in a rapidly changing and sometimes insecure environment
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Full professional proficiency in English and French
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 7th May, 2023.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE