Grants and Compliance Officer at HakiElimu
- Company: HakiElimu
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type:
- Job category: No Categories
Job Title Grants and Compliance Officer
Department Support Services and Finance
Reports to Accountant
Location Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Supervises: Usually none
Travel Requirements Some travel
Key relationships ED, Head of Programme, Head of Support Services and
Finance, MEAL Manager and CEA/RIPA/MEA Managers, Accountant
A: CORE PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Responsible for the successful management of funds for both projects by ensuring that all the necessary requirements, regulations and compliance are being adhered to. S/he will accountable for ensuring that all aspects of HakiElimu’s financial procedures and processes with partners are effectively performed. S/he will be assisting the Accountant in reporting of all donor funds management.
Grants Management (40%)
• Track funds disbursements and follow all the necessary procedures of funds receiving.
• Establish and maintain the files for each grant received for each project for easy tracking and reporting.
• Responsible for the arrangement of projects expenditures verifications and audits as per the grant’s contract.
• Assist the Accountant and Head-SSAF in the management of funds expenditures; including Imprest management, posting of vouchers to the account software, reconciliations and reporting.
• Develop systems and support organisation’s efforts to monitor, track and report related grants fund management and audit recommendations.
Partner Monitoring and Support (30%)
• Ensure all donor and HakiElimu guidelines are complied with and communicated to partners
• Conduct periodic verification of Partner’s expenditure to see that they are properly supported and are in accordance with the approved work plan and budget.
• Review Partners bank reconciliation statement and compare with expenditure and balance reported in the Statement of Source and Application of Funds
• Communicate in writing to HakiElimu Accountant and Head of SSAF any areas where non-compliance exists or expenditure cannot be verified.
• Follow up on any issues raised following these reviews to ensure that they are properly addressed.
• Ensure partners financial reports are submitted timely as per the established standards and agreement.
• Follow up on external and internal audit recommendations to ensure full implementation.
• Participate key training and orientation to partners, development and financial control and system issues.
• Provide input in drafting training plans for the relevant partners focussing on strengthening partner capacities to better comply with HakiElimu contractual arrangements.
• Assisting partners in identifying areas to strengthen and develop partner finance staff and either provide this training or assist the partner in identifying where such training can be sourced.
• Ensure that the contracts, policies and procedures are in accordance to the National laws
• Ensure that HakiElimu comply with the NGO 2018 Financial Regulation in Management of donor funds
• Provide guidance in interpreting and executing applicable regulations, terms and conditions of the grant
• Conduct periodic reviews including site visits to the project beneficiaries.
• Train project staff on procedures and requirements.
Other duties as required (10%)
• Serve as a member of the fundraising committee and participate proposal budget development.
• Participate in the development of department’s work plans and reports.
• Other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
PERSONAL SPECIFICATIONS, BEHAVIOURS AND CONDUCT:
Minimum Skills and Experience-Essentials
• Advance Diploma in Accountancy or B Com majoring in Accountancy. Possession of either CPA or Master’s degree in relevant field will be an added advantage.
• Strong Financial and grant management skills and experience
• Good knowledge and understanding of NGO statutory and compliance requirements.
• Understanding of project cycle management (including problem/objective trees, stakeholder analysis, project planning, budgeting).
• Strong knowledge of current and future funding trends, as well as of development issues, especially education and democracy
• Fluency in both Kiswahili and English (Spoken & Written)
• Excellent Analysis and Reasoning skills
• Ability to work independently and in a team
• Computer literate – competent in the use of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and accounting software such as Pastel, QuickBooks and Sun system.
Minimum Skills and Experience- Desirables
• Applicable experience in nonprofit governance, administration, grants management and compliance
• Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment.
• Ability to train and support staff to understand developing and managing donor relationships and funding.
Personal Attributes and behaviors
• Proven ability to manage multiple priorities at the same time. In particular, experience of managing multiple budgets at the same time.
• Proactive and able to self-manage
• Highly organized and detail conscious
• Honesty and integrity
• A team player
• Able to communicate clearly to diverse audiences, including donors, private sector partners, staff, management and government officials
Code of Conduct
To uphold HakiElimu’s financial policies and procedures, staff code of conduct and values at all times during the course of your post with the organization, acting as a role model in the course of your duties.