Graduate Engineer – OP Geotech at Geita Gold Mining Ltd
- Company: Geita Gold Mining Ltd
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Geita
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Tanzania
ABOUT GEITA GOLD MINING LTD
Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of Northwestern Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s Southeast of the nearest point of Lake Victoria. The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam. Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position: Graduate Engineer – OP Geotech
Contract type & Duration: Unspecified time contract
Department: Technical Service
Reporting to: Superintendent – OP Geotechnical
Number of Positions: One (1)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Assist in collection of relevant geotechnical data required for open pit design recommendation for the assigned open pit mine(s).
- An undergraduate degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Geology, Geology, or equivalent is essential.
- Post graduate diploma or degree in geotechnical engineering if first degree is not in geotechnical or engineering geology field.
- Must poses a valid Tanzanian driving license with class D.
- GGML is an equal opportunity employer: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
- Previous Open pit geotechnical experience is an added advantage.
MAIN OR KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Open pit Geotechnical Data Collection
- Develop competence in undertaking timely collection of open pit geotechnical data from various sources (geotechnical drilling and mapping data using approved methods etc.) and ensuring that collected data meets the required quality standards.
- Learn how to ensure data collection for investigating ground and open pit slope conditions and open pit mine is current.
- Develop competence in undertaking data validation on all collected geotechnical data prior to use in analysis.
Open pit Support and Fall of Ground Risk Mitigation
- Learn how to develop ground support systems using engineered rock mechanic principles.
- Develop competence in generating and timely communicating of ground support requirements and safe access controls in the affected areas.
- Learn how to monitor the implementation of the mitigation measures to ensure compliance to required standards.
Open pit Excavation Monitoring
- Develop competence in conducting open pit inspections, ensuring ground stability control management programme are in place and maintained in line with geotechnical best practice and standards.
- Learn how to cooperate and work effectively with team members as well as other departments to address ground stability control issues and provide solutions to mitigate risks.
- Undertake supervision of final wall scaling in geotechnically sensitive areas to ensure scaling activities are undertaken safely.
- Learn and follow the Safety requirements related to your work.
- Consider what could go wrong and what needs to be done to work safely before starting a task.
- Speak up if you think a task cannot be done safely.
- Continually look for new hazards in the workplace and report them to your supervisor.
- Talk to your supervisor when you are not fit for work.
- Suggest ways to improve Safety performance.
- Promptly report all injuries, illnesses and incidents.
- Help others to work safely.
- Must have basic understanding of soil and rock testing and analysis techniques, Geotechnical or Engineering Geology experience in open pit environment.
- Must have a basic working knowledge of geotechnical data gathering, analysis, interpretation, modelling, design, and quality assurance techniques and must be able to perform assigned tasks under supervision.
- Must have basic understanding and application of geological data collection methodologies.
- Must have a basic understanding of rock mass classification and data analysis.
- Must have basic understanding and application of geotechnical risk management.
- Must have basic understanding of soil and rock testing and analysis techniques.
- Must have basic knowledge and application of underground mine geomechanics.
- Must have a basic knowledge and application of stope stability analysis techniques.
- Must have basic knowledge and application of slope monitoring and stability management techniques.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 5th November, 2022.