Government Liaison Associate at UNHCR
- Company: UNHCR
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dodoma Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
August 23, 2023
Standard Job Description
Government Liaison Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Government Liaison Associate is a member of the Government Liaison Unit. S/he normally reports to the (Senior) Government Liaison Officer. The incumbent receives regular guidance and advice from the supervisor. S/he participates in all meetings/working groups related to the Government and to provide support on coordination work on common processes.
Under the supervision of the (Senior) Government Liaison Officer, the responsibilities of the Government Liaison Associate is to give, obtain and exchange information requiring discussions and explanations both to UNHCR staff members, Government authorities and other external parties on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Assist in the establishment of close working relations with officials in various ministries especially Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
– Keep track of evolving issues concerning asylum seekers, stateless persons and refugees within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
– Ensure that the office is kept informed of local and international developments which may have a political or operational impact on the office¿s relation with the Government, including latest developments with regard to the implementation of the GCR, UN reform etc.
– Inform the supervisor and/or other senior managers on a continuing basis of relevant information on the outcome of discussions with government authorities on various issues.
– Assist senior management in dealing with the challenges posed by the political context, developments with the Government and issues related to humanitarian and development processes.
– Accompany the Representative/Deputy Representative/Head of Office and Headquarters visitors on missions and meetings.
– Assist in preparation for different visits and missions to the Operation.
– Liaise with Government partners and local authorities on behalf of UNHCR, as required.
– Draft correspondence and reports as required and assist in the drafting of briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, as required.
– Manage budget, when requested, including tracking expenditures.
– Initiate upon request of the supervisor the contact with the relevant external parties on various issues.
– Coordinate with different units in the office that information presented to government authorities is duly verified and endorsed by the supervisor.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
or other relevant field;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Good knowledge of UNHCR operations and good political awareness.
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
– Arrange appointments/meetings both internal and external, some involving high ranking officials.
– Receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls, respond to routine requests for information and take notes at meetings as and when required.
– Maintain hard and electronic office files and records; classify and code material relating to a variety of topics;
– Receive, review, sort and distribute all incoming and outgoing correspondence, office pouch and material, highlight priority items and attach necessary background information. Maintain a follow up system.
– May be required to maintain/update confidential files.
– Draft routine correspondence, memoranda and reports. Format more complex documents by using the appropriate technology.
– Ability and experience in producing reports and minutes of meetings
– Facilitate implementation of Personnel administrative formalities and processing of documents in relation to official travels, leaves and movements of staff. Support staff members with processing personnel-related documentation.
– Maintain office inventory and stocks of office supplies. Monitor the asset management track to ensure all admin procurements and disposal of UNHCR property are done and recorded accurately.
– Assist the supervisor to monitor and record expenditure/disbursement of funds.
– Following instructions from the supervisor make logistic and administrative arrangements for seminars, workshops, and briefings that may be required by the Office/Division.
– May regulate and monitor routine provision of services and/or shifts from providers, as and when applicable.
– Monitor office/compound facilities and equipment and in consultation with the supervisor take appropriate action to ensure proper functioning at all time.
– List all staff members whose operation must make deductions from salaries or emoluments in accordance with UNHCR rules and regulations.
– Maintain good working relationships with staff of other UN Agencies in Dodoma.
– Excellent communication skills
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
CO-Cross-cultural communication, CO-Drafting and Documentation, SO-Networking
Business Administration – Other, Political Science – Other, Social Sciences – Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Negotiation & conflict resolution, Organizational awareness, Political awareness, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 25th August, 2023.