Geotechnical Superintendent at Barrick Gold Corporation
- Company: Barrick Gold Corporation
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Shinyanga
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Bulyanhulu Gold Mine Jobs in Tanzania - Engineering Jobs in Tanzania
The role is responsible for ensuring the short term and short term stability of surface and underground excavations through provision of technical rock engineering and Geomechanics expertise into mine designs and layouts. The incumbent will work with the Geotechnical Manager – Tanzania, to provide geotechnical engineering support services to the mines’ production personnel.
The Bulyanhulu Team is seeking to recruit a Geotechnical Superintendent to join and grow their team.
You will be expected to align to the Barrick DNA and to operate within our mining assets with our best people teams. You will contribute in a safe and cost-effective manner to achieve targets in accordance with Mine Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures and ensure daily targets are met.
About Bulyanhulu Team
Bulyanhulu is situated in north-west Tanzania, in the Kahama district of the Shinyanga region, approximately 55 kilometres south of Lake Victoria and 150 kilometres southwest of the city of Mwanza.Bulyanhulu is a narrow-vein gold mine containing gold, silver and copper mineralisation in sulphides. The mineralisation of Bulyanhulu is associated with a number of steeply-dipping veins. Bulyanhulu commenced commercial production in 2001.
- Providing geotechnical input into the mining & mine planning process
- Maintain the Mine’s Ground Control Management Plan, with regular updates to the Ground Control Management Plan document
- Geotechnical stope designs
- Design of stope and development support e.g. primary support & cable bolt layouts
- Design, installation, evaluation & analysis of underground stability monitoring systems
- Maintaining a 3D Geotechnical block model (mining rock mass model) for stope stability and ground support evaluations
- Maintaining a Life of Mine stress model and utilizing the model for stope sequencing, evaluation of seismic risk & recommendations to mitigate geotechnical risks that might arise during the LOM
- Raisebore stability analysis
- Pillar design & analysis
- Backfill model analysis
- Rock mass & structural logging data analysis & validation
- Ground support project costing, budgeting & management of change
- Training of Geotechnical Engineers
- Hydrogeological work – design and monitoring of hydrogeological systems & analysis of technical reports
- Collecting, analyzing and interpreting geotechnical data
- Ensuring the production team adheres to the approved mine ground support standards
- Ensuring ground control audits and quality assurance programs are carried out regularly and documented
- Reviewing standard ground support profiles
- Maintaining adequate stocks of ground support consumables on site
- Providing monthly consumption reports on ground support installed
- Ensuring ground control training programmes are carried out where required
- Managing ground support trials and making recommendations on their performance (pull testing of installed ground supports)
- Ensuring all significant ground falls are inspected and reported
- Advising on ground control matters and generating relevant/specific ground control designs
- Generate weekly and end of month Geotechnical reports
- Promote health and safety in the workplace
- Compliance with all statutory regulations and procedures
- Compliance with all the Company’s Policies and Procedures
- Establish and meet time-lines at all times
- Upward reporting as required
- Bachelor Degree in Mining Engineering or Geological Engineering Degree preferably with a specialization in Ground Control, Geotechnical Engineering or Rock Mechanics.
- Must have a minimum 5 years’ experience in underground mining environment
- Must have a minimum 5 years post graduate industry underground mining experience preferably in precious metals using narrow vein long hole stoping
- Must have a valid driving license and able to drive a light vehicle in underground environment.
- Proficiency with geotechnical design software such as FLAC3D, Dips, UnWedge, RS2, RS3, Map3D and Deswik mine design
- Proficiency with Ticker3D, Trace and mXrap
- Able to work with limited supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills with contractors and mine personnel.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work safely and not create or ignore hazards.
- Cultural and religious awareness and tolerance.
- High degree of patience and tolerance.
- Able to maintain accurate records and reports.
- Ability to interpret mine layouts
What We Can Offer You
- A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses and site-specific benefits
- The ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless
- Access to a variety of career opportunities across the organization
Method of ApplicationApplicants are invited to submit their CV’s/Resume’s online Rename your CV in this format CV – YOUR FULL NAME
Indicating the role title “GEOTECHNICAL SUPERINTENDENT” in the subject of your email
Send your application via e-mail to: [email protected]
Please forward applications before: 20th June 2022
We are committed to a safe work environment sending every person home safe and healthy every day and leaving a sustainable legacy on our host communities.
Thank you for your application, however, only those selected for an interview will be co