Geographic Information System (GIS) Assistants at International Organization for Migration
- Company: International Organization for Migration
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Tanzania
Vacancy Announcement: IOM/DAR/016/2020
Position title: Geographic Information System (GIS) Assistant
Position grade Ungraded – UG
Duty station Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania
Job family Information Management
Organizational unit 10004596
Is this a Regional, HQ, MAC, PAC, Liaison Office or Country Office based position? Country Office
Reports directly to DTM Coordinator
Number of Direct Reports None
|II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE|
|The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) is IOM’s information management tool to track and monitor population mobility. It is designed to regularly capture, process, analyse and disseminate various layers of information on the mobility, vulnerability, and needs of displaced and mobile populations that enables decision-makers and responders to provide these populations with better context-specific assistance. IOM Tanzania, working with the Office of the Chief Government Statistician (OCGS) of Zanzibar, plans to implement DTM in Zanzibar under the Covid-19 Preparedness and Response in Southern and Horn of Africa regional project:
Under the direct supervision of the DTM Coordinator, and in coordination with the DTM Regional Coordinator in Regional Office Nairobi, and the overall supervision of the Programme Coordinator in Dar es Salaam, the GIS Assistant will be responsible for the following activities:
|III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES|
1. Assist in the production of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) related products both for operational purpose and information sharing and dissemination.
2. Take part in the design, development, and systematic maintenance of relevant spatial data infrastructure to facilitate management of the spatial data in the country.
3. Assist harmonizing the spatial data used across the country with the standard geographic data and infographic and cartographic features.
|4. Assist monitoring that DTM standards are followed during the data collection by providing the necessary geographic data such as administrative units and locations
5. Identify needs and advise on GIS/mapping tools and products.
6. Perform any other duties as may be required.
|IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE|
|High School Degree/Certificate in geographic information systems, geography, computer science or related area is required, with at least 4 years of relevant working experience. Or
· University Degree with at least 2 years of relevant working experience in education, administration/management, a social science discipline or related area is required.
|EXPERIENCE & SKILLS|
|· Detailed knowledge of spatial data management, cartographic design and spatial data visualization and analysis is required
· Experience in the GIS/IM in the context of humanitarian response is preferred.
· Proficiency in MS office, ArcGIS and one or more designing software is required.
· Skills in Python, MS SQL Server and other MS programming tools are an advantage.
· Strong communication, organizational and interpersonal relationship skills.
(specify the required knowledge)
|•Fluency in both English and Kiswahili, written and spoken, required.||•Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is advantageous.|
|The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever
1 Competencies and respective levels should be drawn from the Competency Framework of the Organization.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to [email protected]
Only electronic applications will be accepted
Kindly note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted & Vacancy is open for Internal & External Tanzanian Applicants.
“All the vacancies announced by IOM Tanzania are completely free and candidates are not at any point requested to pay a fee for applying or during the recruitment process’’
Deadline 20 August 2020