Forest Officer at Jane Goodall Institute
- Company: Jane Goodall Institute
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Tanzania
The Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) is a global community conservation organization that advances the vision and work of Dr. Jane Goodall by conserving chimpanzees and inspiring communities to conserve the natural world we all share, we improve the lives of people, animals, and the environment. We strongly believe everything is connected and everyone can make a difference.
The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania (JGI-TZ) is a reputable and rapidly expanding non-governmental organization committed to wildlife research, conservation, socio-economic development, and environmental education. The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania (JGI-TZ) was founded in 2001 by Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE. The JGI Tanzania with its partners makes a difference through community cantered conservation, chimpanzees research projects, youths’ environmental education, the innovative use of science and technology, we work closely with local communities in Tanzania, inspiring hope through a collective power of individual action.
The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania with funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to support implementation of the new USAID funded project, USAID Tumaini Kupitia Vitendo is currently seeking to recruit a suitably qualified and competent Tanzanian to fill the following vacant positions:
|USAID Tumaini Kupitia Vitendo
|Forest and natural governance Lead
The Forest Officer will support a range of forest management and biodiversity conservation activities. The Forest officer will provide technical guidance, capacity building to Government and Village stakeholders, and support and facilitate “conservation action” in the landscape. The Forest Officer will assist the Forest Management Lead in the execution of the following key responsibilities:
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the development of Community Based Forest Management (CBFM)and Joint Forest Management(JFM) in collaboration with relevant local authorities.
- Collaborate with the Forest and Governance lead officer in improving natural resource governance in project villages.
- Train and empower/mentorthe local communities on promoting Sustainable Forest Management(SFM)
- Coordinate the development and implementation of forest management plans for all forests under CBFM/JFM in the project areas.
- Support capacity building through backstopping, training materials and resources for forest management for Village Natural Resources Committees (VNRC)
- Facilitate resource mapping for local communities.
- Design and coordinate forest surveys and assessments including analysis of biological data and continuous monitoring of the forest ecosystems.
- Support the implementation of effective forest patrols and monitoring of forest fire incidents, illegal harvesting, and other threats to the ecosystems.
- Maintain a comprehensive database (clearly highlighting baseline information) on the principal species and uses for all timber and non-timber forest products are produced through community participatory mapping for resource planning and management.
- Support establishment of equitable benefit-sharing mechanisms for natural resources within the community under, CBFM and JFM are in place and appropriately applied.
- Support the district efforts to empower forums for dispute resolution within the community (Village Governments, VNRM, CSOs and CBOs) for sustainable forest management.
- Prepare monthly reports against set targets and indicators with analysis of evidence of progress towards planned work plan and budget.
- Ensure appropriate stakeholder involvement at all appropriate levels.
- Work closely with the Forest and Governance lead in the preparation of periodic Project Implementation Reports and Annual Project Reports as required;
- Organise tree nursery establishment and tree planting campaign
- Provide extension services support.
Minimum Job Qualifications and other Requirements:
o At least a bachelor’s or master’s Degree in natural resources management, forestry, biodiversity conservation or related discipline with experience in planning, implementation, Monitoring, and Evaluation.
o Proven knowledge and experience in institution building in the natural resources and environment sector;
o A minimum of three (3) years (for masters graduate) and five years (5) years (for bachelor graduate) of postgraduate professional experience relevant in sustainable land/forest and natural resources management in the development context;
o Proven experience in participatory processes, and in facilitating dialogue between Government, development partners, private sector, villagers and civil society; o Willingness to participate in field activities/surveys and extensive travel to remote areas within the project areas; o Understanding of climate change issues, including REDD+, forest/Natural Resources Management and GIS/Remote sensing is an asset; o Experience in writing project reports and forest management plans; o Experience in writing project success stories, lessons learned and best practices; o Experience in working with local communities, NGOs, CSOs and local government, o Experience in managing meetings and facilitating training sessions.
Required Job Competencies:
- Proven ability to plan, organize and effectively implement activities;
- Proven skills for negotiation, lobbying and advocacy;
- Ability to coordinate and work in teams, as well as in complex environments;
- Ability to observe deadlines, accuracy and attention to detail;
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills including knowledge in application of computer software packages for word processing, excel, PowerPoint, databases and spreadsheets, and the internet;
- Ability to work under minimum supervision to meet deadlines;
- Commitment and drive to achieve challenging goals, and problem-solving skills;
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with multiple teams from multiple institutions;
Method of ApplicationAll applications should be submitted together with the most recent Curriculum Vitae (CV)/resume, copy of relevant academic certificates & transcripts, testimonials, three names of reputable referees, day-time telephone number or e-mail address, and should be send to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
Only the final shortlisted candidates will be interviewed and provided with the interview feedback.
Deadline: Saturday, 16th December, 2023 before 5pm in the evening.
JGI Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, national or tribal origin, religious belief, gender, and marital status.
QUALIFIED FEMALE APPLICANTS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.