Field Technician at IITA
- Company: IITA
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Tanzania
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Please visit https://www.iita.org/ for more information about IITA.
IITA is seeking to recruit various nationally recruited staff positions under BioSSA project, to be based in Dar es salaam- Tanzania.
Field Technician -Ref No. IITA-TZ-2023-NRS-016-DSM
The Field Technician has the overall responsibility for fieldwork activities for the BioSSA Project. The Field Technician works very closely with other research assistants in management of field trials and with the laboratory technicians in preparation of samples for analysis. The position reports to the Soil Microbiologist and is based in Tanzania.
- Establishment and management of field trials for the project, including application of the biostimulants.
- Collection and processing of samples in the field.
- Preparation of samples (grinding, labelling, storage).
- Perform a variety of routine non-technical duties and assist staff to prepare different activities in the field.
- Perform other related duties to the work described above.
Criteria for Success
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
- Strong attention to detail and maintaining a timely and efficient workflow.
- Possess good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Required Qualifications / Experience
- BSc in Agriculture or other relevant subject with proven field layout, sample collection and preparation skills.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in a closely related field gained in an international organization.
- Computer skills, and ability to learn new applications quickly.
- Ability to work with people and especially farmers, casual labourers and students.
The initial contract for the position is for two years: renewable subject to performance and availability of funds. The duty station for the position will be IITA in Dae es salaam. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Method of ApplicationApplications including a cover letter, curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names/addresses of two referees should be addressed to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam and sent by email to [email protected]
Applicants are requested to use the position heading reference number as the email subject.
Closing date is on 16th of October 2023. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.