Field Supervisor/Assistant Entomologist (10) – Bohemia at Ifakara Health Institute
- Company: Ifakara Health Institute
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Pwani Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
|Position:||Field Supervisor / Assistant Entomologist – 10 posts|
|Reports To:||Research officer|
|Work Station:||Rufiji and Kibiti|
|Apply By:||April 9, 2021|
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for ten (10) experienced Field Supervisor / Assistant Entomologists to work in the entomology work package within the big cluster randomized clinical trial of Broad One Heallth Endectocide-based Malaria Interventions in Africa (BOHEMIA). Among other things, the Field Supervisors will be required to supervise fieldworkers working on mosquito trapping collections, and larval collections from the field during evaluation of the impact of repeated ivermectin MDA on vector populations and their transmission activities in Rufiji and Kibiti districts. Candidates are expected to have knowledge and skills of identifying type of mosquitos collected, identifying areas of abundant mosquitos in the field and quickly establishing good relationships with residents and village leaders in the areas where the study is undertaken.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise all entomology field workers and volunteers working in the project.
- Introduce the entomology field team to the village authorities and household owners where necessary.
- Train entomology field workers on SOPs and other relevant trainings.
- Ensure each field team has functioning mosquito collection tools such as traps and batteries before they go to the field sites.
- Conduct spot check during human double net collection procedure to make sure that volunteers are properly following procedures.
- Receive and inspect all mosquito samples from field sites to make sure that they are properly labelled and stored in an appropriate storage condition.
- Supervise and perform sorting, identification and packaging of mosquitoes in the field station.
- Making sure that all mosquitoes which need to be transported to the respective laboratories are prepared on time and properly packed.
- Review and compile day to day collected mosquito data and make sure they are properly recorded and uploaded to the BOHEMIA database.
- Liaise with the entomology data manager to ensure that all field data uploaded to the BOHEMIA database are correct.
- Conduct meetings with field team to discuss challenges and work progress and report them to the Assistant or Senior Entomologist.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Senior Entomologist or Assistant Entomologist.
Qualification and Experience
- Holders of Form IV or VI certificates in science subjects preferably Chemistry and Biology; holders of certificates or diploma in related field like medical laboratory, environmental science, vector control, medical entomology will have an added advantage.
- Previous experience of at least 3-4 years, preferably working in environmental health and ecological sciences or any other entomology department, on field entomological surveys, mosquito handling and rearing, mosquito taxonomy, mosquito dissection, laboratory, field and semi-field entomological bioassays will be a significant importance.
Skills and Competencies
- Good understanding of mosquito collection techniques, mosquito identification, and entomological experiments in the laboratory, semi-field and field environments.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret and follow entomological protocols, guidelines and SOPs.
- Self-motivated individual who is able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in research team.
- Ability to achieve set goals.
- Good oral communications in English and Swahili languages.
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative.)
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Method of ApplicationAll candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters by e-mail together with their detailed CVs showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
All e-mail application subject lines should include: Field Supervisor – BOHEMIA. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
Plot 463 Ifakara St. Mikocheni
P. O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam
Email: [email protected]
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on the 9th of April 2021.