Field Assistant at IITA
- Company: IITA
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Tanzania
IITA is looking for a suitably qualified person to fill the following position of Field Assistant to support the IITA banana project based at the IITA Office at the Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NMAIST) in Kijenge, Arusha
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future
- Coordinate and manage experimental design, plot layout, planting, weed control and trial management, including supervision of field operation.
- Supervise and/or conduct field data collection, computer data entry and analysis, synthesis and writing report.
- Coordinate integrated work of field breeding program and supporting laboratory technician to maximize breeding efficiency
- Coordinate field labour and research assistant working on trials for which he/she has responsibility.
- Assist the supervisor in the procurement of goods (scientific and nonscientific)
Required Qualifications / Experience
- BSc in Horticulture, Agronomy and work in Agriculture related fields with at least 2 years’ experience
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
- Strong attention to detail
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- The ability to work independently and as a team member;
- A positive attitude.
The initial contract for the position is for two years: renewable subject to performance and availability of funds. The duty station for the position will be IITA in Dar es salaam. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Method of Application
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to [email protected]
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email.
If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope.
Please note that any applications without the reference indicated will be automatically disqualified.
The deadline for submitting the application is November 03, 2020
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.