Event Coordinator at UNFPA
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Consultancy, Event Coordinator
Contract Type: Consultancy
Closing date: 01 Aug 2022 05:00 PM (America/New_York)
Duty station: Tanzania
International Consultancy: Event Coordinator
Duty Station: Tanzania. The consultant must be on the ground.The consultant should have from time to time face-to-face meetings with officials in country.
Physical engagemen is required.
Hiring Office: UNFPA Tanzania Country Office in coordination with the ICPD25 Follow-Up Secretariat/OED
Duration of the contract and timeline: The Consultant is expected to work full-time from August, 2022 until 31 December 2022 for up to 115 working days.
Closing date for applications: 1 August 2022, 17h00 New York Time.
The Nairobi Summit on ICPD25, which took place in November 2019 to mark the 25th anniversary since of the adoption of the landmark ICPD Programme of Action, generated momentum in support of UNFPA’s mandate reflected in the overarching Nairobi Statement and the 1300 voluntary commitments made by governments and diverse partners.
In September 2020, an independent High-Level Commission on the Nairobi Summit on ICPD25 Follow-up (HLC) was launched, comprising eminent representatives from governments, the private sector, young people and faith leaders, civil society and philanthropy, to support the tracking of and reporting on progress on the 12 Global Commitments contained in the Nairobi Statement on ICPD25, and their inclusion in existing global, regional, and national follow-up mechanisms. The ICPD25 Follow-up Secretariat (the Secretariat) plays a lead role in the internal organizational coordination to ensure a continued coherent institutional response across all levels of the organization, for leveraging the momentum of the celebration of ICPD25 and the Nairobi Summit, towards scaling-up meaningful and measurable impact. The Secretariat supports and engages the Co-Chairs and the eminent leaders that make up this Commission in their political advocacy and outreach roles, as well as supports them in the preparation of the Commission’s annual reports that will present progress in advancing the Nairobi commitments and the first of which has been recently submitted to the UNFPA Executive Director on 15 November 2021 at the anniversary of the Summit.
After meeting virtually over the past two years, due to the global coronavirus pandemic, the HLC will convene its first in-person meeting in November 2022 in Zanzibar, Tanzania. Moreover, the HLC will launch its second report at a public facing, live-streamed event as part of their programme in Tanzania. On celebrating the third anniversary of the Nairobi Summit, the HLC is furthermore expected to visit select programme sites, to engage in meetings with Tanzania officials, and participate in high-level media engagement. The above activities will be organized by a planning committee that brings together the UNFPA Tanzania Country Office, and UNFPA East and Southern African Regional Office and ICPD25 Follow-up Secretariat, which in turn will coordinate with the Tanzania and Zanzibar local authorities, as well as the Co-Chairs of the HLC and UNFPA senior management.
Purpose of Consultancy
The Event Coordinator. The consultant will contribute to the work of the UNFPA Tanzania Country Office and the ICPD25 Follow-Up Secretariat by providing programme, administrative, and logistics assistance in the organizing and executing the convening of a meeting of the High-Level Commission on the Nairobi Summit on ICPD25 Follow-up and launch event of its second report in Zanzibar, Tanzania in November 2022, and any related elements related to the Commission’s programme during their visit.
Under the overall guidance and leadership of the Representative, the Consultant will report directly to the International Operations Manager with close collaboration with the Deputy Representative, the Assistant Representative of the Tanzania Country Office with a dotted line matrix reporting to the Global Coordinator ICPD25 Follow-up/Lead of the HLC Secretariat in the Office of the Executive Director.
Scope of Consultancy
The main responsibilities and functions of the Coordinator will include:
- Participate in all coordination meetings with HLC Secretariat, RO and CO, take minutes, and follow up on key action points assigned to members of the team;
- Support the programme finalization, content, and development of session outlines for the programme sessions;
- Liaise with HLC Secretariat, RO, CO staff involved in the event to ensure all resource materials that will be used are well organized before the event;
- Liaise with the HLC Secretariat, RO, CO communications team to ensure all media engagement plans are in order and ensure optimal coordination of the media personnel during the event;
- Prepare the event checklist and follow up on the required actions timely;
- Manage and follow up all assigned duties and responsibilities to the event management company and ensure all tasks are effectively and efficiently executed;
- Coordinate the required tasks for the formed coordination teams at the Country Office;
- Carry out in collaboration with Programme officers and Zanzibar team a preliminary visit to the selected sites ;
- Coordinate the communication between UNFPA and the Government;
- the CO team with the preliminary review of invoices and other payments documents from the event management company and other vendors;
- In collaboration with UNFPA CO, act as the key contact for all parties including UNFPA staff, event management company, the hotel, moderator, interpreters, travel companies, e.t.c and ensures all matters are well addressed;
- Ensure conformity with the UNFPA guidelines, procedures, and regulations, including financial rules and regulations, for all correspondence for the attention of the Tanzania Country Office and the ICPD 25 Follow-up Secretariat;
- With the support from UNFPA, liaise with the event company to ensure the swift arrival, stay, and departure of all participants;
- Support finalization of all event issues including payments to vendors;
- Conduct pre-event and post-event evaluation;
- Prepare and submit the event report with key highlights on the success and lessons learned in all areas including the programme, administrative, and logistics.
Delivery dates and how work will be delivered
1. Weekly preparation status report from the start of contract.
2. Final event report with key highlights on the success and lessons learned in all areas including the programme, administrative, and logistics to be shared two weeks after the event.
Monitoring and progress control
There will be a weekly follow-up with the Consultant till the end of the consultancy term.
Travel within Tanzania, mainly in Dar es Salam and Zanzibar.
The Consultant must be on the ground.
The consultant should have from time to time face-to-face meetings with officials in country.
Physical engagement is required.
Qualifications and Experience
A master’s degree in Social Sciences, Business Administration, and other event management-related courses will be an added advance
- At least 2 years of experience in administration management, event execution, and logistic arrangement
- Knowledge of and experience in organizing high-level meetings and public-facing events are considered an asset
- Strong knowledge of and experience with making travel and logistics arrangements;
- Good understanding of arrangements of communications and media engagements in high level meetings
- Knowledge of protocol of high-level meetings;
- Familiarity with Dar es Salam and Zanzibar contexts;
- Ability to adapt and respond to requests efficiently and promptly, and work under pressure, especially when the event and its accompanied activities are at their peak;
- Ability to organize work independently with minimum supervision;
- Ability to work productively in a multi-cultural team, gain support from others and produce quality work;
- Knowledge of UN/UNFPA procurement process and systems
- UN(FPA) experience is an asset;
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- High level of computer literacy in Microsoft office;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Fluency in English and Swahili is required; knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
Method of ApplicationInterested applicants should send an expression of interest (EOI) highlighting relevant experience in delivering similar work with relevant links, a detailed CV & an example of a recent similar work conducted to [email protected]
The email subject should clearly state “IC Event Coordinator“. The CV should include at least three (3) references that can be contacted.
UNFPA will only respond to those applicants who meet the criteria and in whom we have further interest.