Education Officer (EdTech) at International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Company: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education/Teaching Jobs in Tanzania
Requisition ID: req38112
Job Title: Education Officer (EdTech)
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Job Overview/ Summary: Since 2016, the IRC has been working in collaboration with UNHCR and Vodafone Foundation U.K on the Instant Network Schools (INS) Programme in Nyarugusu refugee camp. The aim of the INS is to improve access to quality education for displaced children in refugee camps, through the use of technology and connectivity, alongside teacher training and capacity building support. In each operation, the programme aims to establish Instant Network Classrooms in formal schools which are already operating in the refugee camps and the host community surrounding the camps.
This position reports to the Education/INS Officer and will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation and monitoring of the EdTech and general education activities in the schools within the refugee camps and host communities. The officer will work closely with the coaches/facilitators who are hired by IRC to run the Instant Network Classrooms on a daily basis in each school, refugee teachers and other education officers supervising the implementation of Congolese and Burundian curriculum in camps. He/she will also be responsible for providing technical support to the technology equipment used on the INS classroom such as network troubleshooting, software, and hardware maintenance as well as solar maintenance.
- Develop and supervise the quality implementation of INS and education activities in Nyarugusu refugee camp, ensuring adherence to donor requirements and regulations.
- Provide technical support and training to coaches and teachers using the Instant Classrooms
- Identify mobile technology-based solution for specific education needs in the location
- Preparing reports of activities undertaken in the Instant Classrooms and story collection for blog publication
- Working closely with Education Managers, head-teachers and teachers to ensure that the program implementation aligns with programme guideline and procedures
- With the support from the Manager, help coaches in monitoring the programme, development and support in the effective use of online tools
- Provide on-the-job training to coaches and teachers and support data collection and research visits
- Provide technical support to existing connectivity centers
- Compile report of activities on the monthly basis and participate in writing of the annual and donor reports
- Supervise, mobilize, and train incentive teachers, education volunteers and interns, work with education staff to review training needs, identify training content and ensure training occurs.
- Work closely with HR and the Education Protection Officer to ensure all teachers are trained on the Teacher Code of Conduct and violations are properly addressed.
- Work closely with the Education Protection Officer to ensure the safety and security of children and teachers in schools.
- Report any Child Protection or SGBV cases to the Education Protection Officer.
- Ensure integration of programming through partnership with other IRC sectors, including Women’s Protection and Empowerment, Child Youth Protection and Development, and Health teams.
- Ensure education activities are well coordinated with those of other IRC sectors and NGOs present in the camps, including community mobilization, referral systems, and creating awareness in an integrated manner.
- Support education activities in the host community, including teacher training and monitoring of activities.
- Prepare activity reports, monthly, and donor reports based on the prescribed template.
- Notify the Education Manager of any problems, complaints, or useful information about all aspects of the education program.
- Work with the M&E officers to undertake assessments in coordination with partners, UNHCR, UNICEF, where appropriate.
Attend and participate in trainings identified and/or organized by the Education Manager or Coordinator.
Follow all IRC policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation, The IRC Way, and Child Safeguarding Policy (TZ specific and global), as per the IRC Tanzania reporting mechanism.
Represent IRC at interagency and coordination meetings, as assigned.
Assist in control and proper usage of stationary and other items relating to work.
Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Education Manager or Education Coordinator.
Education and Qualification:
- Degree in ICT/Computer Science from a recognized institution
- A background in education and knowledge of educational technology will be an advantage
- 3 years of proven experience with various distributed ICT Systems and Networks, preferably in a development setting
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer literacy.
- Must be able to multi-task effectively and balance competing priorities, reporting lines and deadlines.
- Advanced interpersonal skills he/she must be able to relate well with others, dictate responsibilities, offer support and constructive feedback.
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills. He/she must be able to adeptly and quickly solve problems as they come up.
- Highly collaborative and consultative approach.
- Good IT skills: knowledge of MS Word; Excel and Outlook required
- Swahili and good English written, and oral skills required. French and Kirundi a plus.
Professional Standards IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Warning: Please be warned of various scams, being circulated via e-mails, from Internet websites, and via regular mail or fax, falsely being issued by or associated with the IRC. Beware that The IRC does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training, or any other fee). IRC does not request any information related to bank accounts. If asked for any payment, please contact [email protected]
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 28th February, 2023.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE