Economic and Recovery Environmental Guide at Danish Refugee Council
- Company: Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Tanzania
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization that provides assistance and promotes durable solutions for refugees and internally displaced people, based on humanitarian principles and human rights.
Danish Refugee Council is a humanitarian actor in Tanzania. Since 2015, as part of the Burundian Refugee Response in Tanzania, DRC works in the sectors of camp management, Community-Based Protection, Livelihoods, Protection, WASH, General Food Distributions, and Shelter/ small infrastructure in Nduta & Mtendeli camps. And starting from January 2020, DRC has been implementing Camp management, Community-Based Protection, and Livelihoods projects in the Nyarugusu refugee camp. From January 2023, DRC will be implementing an Energy and Environment Project in the refugee and hosting communities of Nduta and Nyarugusu refugee camps.
Name of the Position: -: Economic and Recovery Environmental Guide.
Reports to: – Economic and Recovery Assistants- Energy and Environment
Supervise – IWs, and Village Agents.
Duty Station: – Kibondo and Kasulu with frequent travel/stay to a respective refugee camp(s).
Economic and Recovery Environmental Guide., under the management and supervision of the Economic and Recovery Officer – Environment and in close collaboration with UNHCR and the camp-based government coordination bodies and Local Government Authorities, will be responsible for ensuring the implementation of Energy and Environment activities in Nduta and Nyarugusu refugee camps and host community. The Economic and Recovery guide – Energy and Environment, is therefore expected to be flexible to work in different locations throughout the program.
Tasks and responsibilities of the position
• Provide support in ensuring that targets are met under DRC’s agreement with donors, to be accountable to the stated goals of the program including conducting training, distributions, collecting input for surveys, and verification of beneficiaries.
• Working together with Incentive workers and the environmental guide team to ensure regular monitoring visits and patrols within the camps are done according to the plans and targets.
• Perform day-to-day environmental activities including patrols within and outside the camp boundaries (to the proximity areas of 5km).
• Conducts regular patrols in and around the forest area, to prevent abnormal removal of tree trunks and illegal felling of trees.
• To train the People of Concern (PoC) and guides them on environmental activities.
• Writing weekly reports and submission to Assistant officers.
• Prepare and facilitate PoC meetings, home visits, and training.
• Request field materials/ working gear as it may be needed via the appropriate channel/supervisor.
• Adherence to organization operation policies, regulations, and procedures.
• Maintain DRC assets in good order.
• Liaise closely with other DRC sectors such as; Community-Based Protection, and camp management to ensure productive coordination and smooth implementation of the program activities at the camp level.
• Support the monitoring and coordination of all environmental and sustainable energy activities within the camps.
• Support in providing training on alternative energy solutions and environment conservation and protection to a wide range of audiences in the camp as well as in the host community.
• Support in administrative day-to-day operations of the field office.
• Support in the distribution of bio-briquettes, firewood and others.
• Supervises works conducted at community forests in creating fire belts and planting fire breaker trees.
• Works with the Manager, Team Leaders, Officers, and Assistants as well as communities to develop and implement annual project plans.
• Works with communities in the prevention and fight/control against bushfires within refugee camp
• Any other duties as assigned by the management.
• Certificate and/or diploma in social science, forestry, Environment plan, Environment Disaster and management, Environment engineering, Environmental science and Management, Natural Resources Management, Agriculture, Renewable energy, and other related fields.
• At least 2 years relevant work experience mainly in energy and environment programs and demonstrate experience in energy and environment programs with a specific focus on; (i) Development or fabrication of the fuel-efficient stove. (ii) Participation in the tree planting exercise (iii) afforestation and sustainable forest harvesting techniques, (iv) building capacities of community-based energy/environment committees, (v) sustainable agricultural practices – Climate Smart Agriculture, Permaculture, Agroforestry, etc.(vi) alternative sources of cooking energy – bio-briquettes, solar induction cooker, biogas production, clean cooking energy and cooking energy efficient stoves and (vii) Land/natural resource use planning at village/ward level.
• Previous experience working with refugees or IDPs and Host communities’ members is an added advantage.
• Previous experience in working with partners that deal with the environment and energy in the refugee camp is an added advantage.
• Previous working experience with international organizations in the development and humanitarian areas.
• High level of computer literacy and associated software (Microsoft Word PowerPoint and Excel)
• Good written and oral communication skills in English.
• Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity, and flexibility.
• Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well, able to engage with community members sincerely and maintain confidentiality and respect.
Terms of Employment:
Salary and conditions in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for National Staff in Tanzania
• DRC program staff (protection and others)
• Refugees and donors
• Local Government and host Community representatives.
• Referral partners
Core competencies Basic Advanced Expert
Striving for excellence ☒ ☐ ☐
Collaborating ☐ ☒ ☐
Taking the lead ☐ ☒ ☐
Communicating ☐ ☒ ☐
Demonstrating integrity ☐ ☒ ☐
•Basic: I master the essentials, but may at times need help from others
•Advanced: I can work independently at full professional level.
•Expert: I am the go-to person when others need help.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 28th February, 2023.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE