Driver at Embassy of Ireland, Dar Es Salaam
- Company: Embassy of Ireland, Dar Es Salaam
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Tanzania
EMBASSY OF IRELAND, DAR ES SALAAM
JOB ADVERT – DRIVER Available Vacancies (1)
The mission of the Department of Foreign Affairs is to promote and protect Ireland’s values and interests in Tanzania and across the Great Lakes sub-region, and the economic well-being of Ireland and its people. Through the promotion of Ireland’s values, the Embassy seeks to contribute to a fairer, more just, secure and sustainable society in Tanzania. We do this under the political direction of our Ministers, through our staff at home and through our Embassy network abroad.
The Embassy of Ireland, Dar es Salaam is seeking to recruit a highly motivated, dynamic and experienced individual to join a growing team in the position of Driver. The successful candidate must have a legal entitlement to live and work in Tanzania prior to recruitment. Candidates who are successful at interview stage may be asked to undergo an eyesight exam.
Job Title Drivers
Under the supervision of the Head of Drivers, ensures his/her safety, transports other authorized passengers, ensures proper maintenance of the official vehicle, assists with airport formalities on arrival/departure of dignitaries, and performs other duties.
Key performance areas
Acts as Driver for the Embassy and Ensures the safety of the staff
Key performance details
• Driving the Embassy staff to and from meetings and events in Dar es Salaam and also on field visits in Tanzania.
• Delivering and collecting items such as invitations, notes, messages, and packages;
• Transporting other authorized passengers as may be directed.
• Assuming responsibility for the safety of the Embassy staff and other passengers while they are in or around one of the official vehicles;
• Advising Embassy staff and other passengers on safety procedures especially in unfamiliar situations or surroundings;
• Monitoring safety risks while driving or accompanying Staff and other passengers, and reacting pre-emptively and defensively as required;
• Monitoring area safety and utilizing different routes when driving to/from destinations in order to maximize safety of Staff and other passengers; and
• Keeping confidential all information concerning the Embassy staff programs and any other information about the Embassy staff and other passengers which the incumbent learns in the course of carrying out their duties
Ensures proper maintenance of the official vehicle
• Keeping the official vehicle clean and tidy through normal washing and polishing;
• Maintain first aid kit in the vehicles
• Ensure the Servicing the official vehicle with gasoline, lubricants, coolant and battery electrolyte and performing minor maintenance tasks and repairs;
• Reporting to the Head of Driver any defects or repairs required in order to keep the official vehicle in proper road condition and by ensuring that repairs are properly effected; and
• Maintaining log and vehicle records.
• Report to Head of Administration when there is need to arrange timely repairs and service to vehicles
Performs other duties as instructed
• Assisting dignitaries and others passengers as directed with airport formalities;
• Assisting staff and other passengers in support of official functions;
• Handling e-mail correspondence;
• Using electronic tools (e.g., Internet searches and GPS systems) to optimize transport;
• Preparing and submitting on-line forms; and
• Facilitate immigration and customs formalities for visitors as may be required.
• Maintain assigned vehicles on a day to day basis
• Keep a log of various transport related events
• Maintain and update log book records
• Refill the Embassy and residence generators
• Ensure vehicles are stocked with relevant supplies for all extended journeys/field trips: water, tissues hand sanitizers etc.
• Any other work related duties given by the supervisor
• Assist in the procurement function when requested
• Support to deliver supplies such as drinking water, gas refill and others
• Carrying out other related duties as assigned
Qualification and required skills
Specifically the following qualifications and competencies are required:
• Hold of National Form IV certificate
• Certified clean driving licence Class C
• Possession of Trade Test Grade II Certificate from VETA or any other reputable institution
• Three years or more in an international organisation as a driver
• Fluency in Kiswahili and English
• A strong knowledge of Tanzania Road Regulations and Laws
• A very good geographical knowledge of Tanzania and of the roads and streets in Dar es Salaam and has performed a driving function within the city
• Accident-free record for the last three immediate consecutive years.
Driver (Full-time based at the Embassy of Ireland, Dar es Salaam)
Starting in January Contract will be offered on a three-year renewable basis
Competitive salary plus benefits
The role offers opportunities for training within Tanzania
Under the supervision of the Head of Drivers, the Driver transports and ensures the safety of authorized passengers, ensures proper maintenance of the official vehicles, assists with airport formalities on arrival/departure of dignitaries, and performs other duties.
Essential requirements candidates must be able to demonstrate:
Holder of National Form IV certificate
Certified clean driving licence Class C and highly competent driving skills
Possession of Trade test Grade II Certificate from VETA or any other reputable institution
Fluency in Kiswahili and English
Three years or more in an international organisation as a driver
A strong knowledge of Tanzania Road Regulations and Laws
A very good geographical knowledge of Tanzania and of the roads and streets in Dar es Salaam
Accident free record for the last three immediate consecutive years
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Excellent organisational skills
Excellent management & delivery of results
The successful candidate must have a legal entitlement to live and work in Tanzania, prior to recruitment
Vehicle mechanical and management skills
Terms and conditions of employment:
The successful candidate will be hired on a fixed-term three year contract commencing January 2022 and will be based at the Embassy of Ireland, Dar Es Salaam
The salary for the position is TZS 15,206,336 per annum, paid locally on a monthly basis. Salaries are paid direct to a bank account, therefore the successful candidate must have a bank account.
The position will have an annual leave allowance of 24 days per annum, exclusive of public holidays, adjusted pro
This is a full time position (38 hours per week). Occasional late working and overnight travel
Method of ApplicationInterested candidates should send their cover letter, together with their most recent curriculum vitae; with details of their phone, email and contact details of three referees to:
[email protected] , or
P.O Box 9612
Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Applications must be received before 18:00 (local time), on 26 November 2021. No applications will be accepted after this deadline. Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Data Protection Note:
- All personal information received will be kept in line with GDPR guidelines.
Police vetting will be sought in respect of individuals who come under consideration for appointment. Enquiries may also be made with the police force of any country in which the applicant under consideration for appointment resided. If unsuccessful this information will be destroyed. If the applicant subsequently comes under consideration for another position they will be required to supply this information again. Please note that canvassing will disqualify applicants.
The Embassy of Ireland, Dar es Salaam is committed to a policy of equal opportunity.