Director of Teaching and Learning at International School of Tanganyika
- Company: International School of Tanganyika
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education/Teaching Jobs in Tanzania
|Title||Teacher and Director of Teaching and Learning||Category(cf Policy 5.101)||School Leadership|
|Job Holder||Start date:||1 August 2024|
IST Foundational Documents
Challenging, inspiring and supporting all our students to fulfil their potential and improve the world
IST will be a global leader in the education of internationally-mobile young people.
All students, regardless of their starting point, will think critically, achieve academically and develop the wisdom to make good choices. They will show curiosity and creativity in addressing authentic problems, local and global.
They will pursue their varied passions with enthusiasm, developing resilience, perseverance, and confidence. Understanding the diversity of people and cultures, they will act kindly, fairly, and responsibly.
All members of the IST community will work together to fulfil this vision.
Statement of Values
All members of the IST community are:
- Responsible – We act responsibly, positively and constructively towards ourselves and other people. We learn from our mistakes and accept the consequences of our actions.
- Inquiring – We show curiosity, perseverance and open-mindedness in seeking to understand and solve problems. We persevere in the face of difficulties and we embrace the learning that comes through failure as well as the joy of success.
- Compassionate – We empathise with others and act with care, kindness and courage. In our interactions, we behave with patience, generosity and integrity.
- Balanced – We believe in a broad education for our students, seeing the value of participation in a varied curriculum.
- Diverse – We treasure the diversity within the IST community, using the rich opportunities for deeper understanding that come from our differences.
IST Strategic Plan
Our Strategic Plan is in place to help our community align efforts to better reach our schoolʼs mission, vision and values. This plan is focused on three aims.
- Personalized Learning:
- The written, taught and assessed curriculum is designed to meet the needs of all learners
- Creation and implementation of the technology plan in order to ensure that future developments of media and information technology address the long-term needs of the school.
- Professional learning opportunities are designed to have a positive on impact student learning.
- Ensure IST is recognized globally as an exemplary IB World School.
- Continued development of ISTʼs inclusion programs to support personalized experiences for all learners.
- Engaged Community:
- Build and sustain a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of the school community.
- Continued development of partnerships with local and global individuals, organizations and alumni to enhance student learning.
- Develop and review processes and systems to enhance communication within the IST community
- Ensured Sustainability:
- Continued review and implementation of master site plan – with focus on inclusion and access as well as facilities to support innovative programs
- Review procedures to retain and recruit employees who are aligned with our strategic plan.
- Improve ISTʼs ability to work more sustain
Summary of the Role
The Teacher and Director of Teaching and Learning is responsible for the development of a cohesive whole school curriculum framework that aligns with the mission of the school. As a member of the senior management team, the Director of Teaching and Learning works collaboratively to ensure that all IST students are appropriately challenged, supported and inspired to fulfil their potential and improve the world. This is a wonderful opportunity to have a significant impact within a school community that has a history of excellence, service and innovation.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience (a) M.A./M.Ed./M.Sc. degree or equivalent.
- Demonstrated success as a leader in a similar school setting
- Documented understanding of IB curriculum frameworks and relevant successful teaching experience
- Background in the development of professional learning programs
- Demonstrated success working within, and supporting the development of, professional learning communities
- Ability to continually monitor, refine, and review the implementation of vertically aligned curricular programs
- An active leadership style with high visibility both within the school and throughout the community
- Demonstrated leadership skills and an ability to engage with and inspire trust in faculty members, students, and members of the IST community
- Commitment to student-centered learning
- Ability to develop a shared vision and accountability in a community of diverse cultures
- Maintain high ethical standards and ensure appropriate levels of confidentiality
- Current with research in international education
- Ability to inspire faculty and staff to grow and challenge themselves individually, and as a group. (h) Excellent communication skills in spoken and written form
- Ability to work effectively with the Board and strong knowledge of effective governance practices
- Empathetic and compassionate, yet able to make difficult decisions in the best interests of students and the entire school community.
- Experience in developing and/or sustaining high performance teams
- Sound decision making, solutions focused, knowledge of child protection and health and safety
- Educational leader and outstanding teacher
- Highly effective relationship developer with a variety of stakeholders
- Expert knowledge of IB Standards and Practices, and expert knowledge of the DP curriculum framework
- Collaborative team player, empathetic listener
- Integrity and confidentiality
- Strategic thinker, able to convert vision into action
- Internationally minded, emotional intelligence
- Intercultural awareness, creative, persuasive
- Flexible and capable of managing growth and instilling high standards
- Adept in multilingual settings, spirited, pioneering, professional and nurturing
The primary functions and responsibilities of Director of Teaching and Learning are:
The development of teaching capacity
- Ensuring that teaching and learning within the school is consistent with our T&L philosophy, in particular:
- Choice and control in authentic contexts
- Support and appropriate challenge for each student
- Students mastering core skills and acquire substantive knowledge
- Ensuring feedback loops exist from students to teachers and teachers to students
- Student enquiry and critical thinking
- Developing and implementing structures so that the above is sustained within the school
- Overseeing the Professional Development budget for the schoolʼs academic staff, ensuring it furthers the schoolʼs aims and evaluating its impact
- Advising on the implementation of the appraisal system for teachers, ensuring that it functions within a spirit of fairness and trust and leads to the development of teachersʼ professional capacity, as well as maintaining accountability.
- Developing, overseeing and implementing whole school provision for in-service and training in consultation with the other members of the Academic Support and Leadership Team
- Developing a systematic school-wide approach to the generation, collection, analysis and use of student learning data to improve individual student learning
- Ensuring, in consultation with Academic Support and Leadership Team, that a curriculum is implemented that supports the schoolʼs T&L philosophy and that meets the learning needs of all IST students
- Developing, overseeing and monitoring the processes by which curriculum documents are collated, presented and used throughout the school
- Developing and overseeing the implementation of a curriculum planning structure and cycle covering Early Childhood to Grade 12
- Overseeing the development and strategic use of the schoolʼs curriculum database
- Leading revisions in curriculum-related policies and practices, as required
- Ensuring that curriculum programmes are communicated with suitable clarity and detail to relevant groups including parents, students and new colleagues
- Ensuring that assessment processes across the school are coherent, fit for purpose and accurately managed at all levels within the school
- Staying abreast of current educational developments, including the impact of technology on the process of learning and communication
- In liaison with the A er-School Activities (ASA)and Service Learning coordinators, ensuring that opportunities exist within the ASA programme for students to extend and enrich their learning
- Strategically using assessment data, including annual standardized testing, to evaluate and benchmark programme quality
- Contributing to the effective orientation of new staff to the school
- Coordinating the schoolʼs reporting and preparation in relation to CIS/MSA and IB accreditation
- Communicating with varied constituent groups within the school about developments in the area of responsibility comprising this post
- Goal setting and appraisal of members of the Office of Teaching and Learning.
Child Protection Policies at IST
IST is committed to hiring outstanding educators and is cognizant of our responsibilities to provide a safe and caring learning environment for our community. Therefore, IST has implemented child protection procedures for all employees, and will require up-to-date and accurate screening information.
Perform any other duties as designated by the Director
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 26th September, 2023.